Disney’s summer issue of the D23 magazine will show an in-depth look behind-the-scenes of the upcoming Animal Kingdom land Pandora – The World of Avatar.
Readers will find exclusive commentary by Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde, Avatar director James Cameron, and movie producer Jon Landau on how Pandora was conceived and crafted. Here is a sneak peak at what Cameron has to say in the latest issue:
We didn’t build sets of all this stuff when we made the movie. It was all in a computer, so, to be able to walk around it in full-scale? It’s unfathomable. We’re literally on Pandora! I’m on Pandora! It was a pinch-me moment to ensure I was really awake and actually in the world we had created.
D23 Gold Members will receive a Na’vi translator card featuring the Shaman of Songs, the new animatronic character that will be featured in Pandora’s boat ride attraction Na’vi River Journey. When used with the Na’vi language translator device (which will be available for purchase in Pandora) it will teach guests how to say certain words in the Na’vi language.
Also available for D23 Gold Members, there will be an alternative cover variant for the summer issue that features the upcoming movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Newcomers to the series Javier Bardem and Kaya Scodelario discuss what it’s like joining the crew of the popular film franchise.
Aside from Avatar and Pirates, here’s what else readers can expect to see in this next D23 magazine:
- Cristela Alonzo talks about her role in Cars 3
- Chris Hemsworth talks about Hulk’s appearance in Thor: Ragnarok
- Disney Imagineering’s Steven Davison and Kim Irvine give first look at the return of Fantasmic! and Disneyland’s Rivers of America
- Tour Duckburg with the team behind the upcoming DuckTales for Disney XD
- Art of Bambi by Disney Legend Tyrus Wong in honor of film’s 75th anniversary
- And more