It seems that Distant Creations has uncovered the following information about “D23” or “Disney 23” in a magazine put out early by accident at a book store:
The mystery behind Disney’s “Are you 23?” viral question is quickly unraveling leading up to the March 10 reveal date.
At least one Barnes & Noble store has put out the new quarterly “Disney Twenty Three” magazine a few days earlier than they were supposed to and DC blog reader Joseph has sent me the details about it.
A membership to the new D23 fan club includes:
- A membership card with a personalized charter member certificate with characters drawn by David Pacheco
- A surprise collectible gift for D23 members from the new Walt Disney Archives collection
- Exclusive special events and merchandise opportunities
- Discounted admission to the D23 Expo on 9/10-9/13/09 in Anaheim, CA
That’s right, an official Disney convention for fans will be taking place in or near Disneyland from Sept. 10-13, 2009, one day after the 40th Anniversary event for The Haunted Mansion. Note that being a member of D23 only grants you discounted admission, which means the event will be open to anyone willing to pay to attend.
The new magazine costs $15.95 and comes out four times a year. The premiere issue’s cover contains a photo of Walt Disney looking through the camera and the back cover is black with a quote from Walt that reads, “It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell”.
Articles inside the photo filled 12″x12″ glossy magazine include:
- The Disney Archives
- The Anne Liebovitz photo’s article
- Through Tim Burtons Looking Glass
- The Suite Story – Disney Gallery & Castle Suite
- On top of the World – cooking article
- Finding Pixar
- Sleeping Beauty Reawakens in the castle
- Writing the Next Chapter- Book article
- Little Mermaid on Broadway
- Spirit of 23- About Walt & company history
I just checked my local Barnes & Noble and there was no sign of the magazine yet, as it’s not supposed to be placed on newsstands until March 10 when the official D23 announcement is made at the Disney shareholder’s meeting.
Alright, now I’m officially excited. Not only do we finally have an official Disney fan club, another official Disney magazine, and exclusive merchandise; we now have confirmation that there will be an annual fan convention and explanation as to why the annual pin event at Epcot was moved away from its typical September weekend. Noticeably, the report does not note how much annual membership in the club or attending the D23 Expo will cost, but we will know that information for sure March 10 when all of this information is made public by Disney. Be sure to stay tuned to WDW News Today as we gather more information on the exciting “D23” club.