Disney has made a full press release (including photos and a video) concerning D23 available:
Oakland and Burbank, CALIF. – March 10, 2009 – Disney today announced the launch of D23 (www.Disney.com/D23), the first official community for Disney fans in the Company’s 85-year history. Through D23, fans will go backstage and behind closed doors to get the inside scoop from every part of Disney, while experiencing the nostalgia, adventure and fantasy of Disney as never before.
“We have a fantastic legacy that started in 1923 and is based on timeless stories, beloved characters and unforgettable experiences, but it’s our fans that keep the spirit of Disney alive year after year, generation after generation,” said Disney President and CEO Bob Iger at the Company’s annual shareholder’s meeting. “D23 is our way of saying ‘thank you’ and celebrating our fans, who bring the magic of Disney to life every day in every corner of the world.”
As a part of this new Disney fan experience, today also marks the launch of D23’s new quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; the all-new D23 Web site at Disney.com/D23; and a new collectibles line, The Walt Disney Archives Collection, which was created specifically with D23 members in mind. D23 also will host special events for its members throughout the year, highlighted by the organization’s signature event, the D23 Expo, which will be held in Anaheim this September 10-13.
A one-year D23 membership ($74.99) includes:
- Disney twenty-three quarterly publication: A one-year subscription (four issues) to D23’s new collectible magazine filled with stunning photography, dazzling illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. This advertising-free keepsake is the all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney’s past, present and future.
- Membership Certificate and Card: The D23 membership card and suitable-for-framing member certificate – both specially created for D23’s Charter Year — feature many of Disney’s most beloved characters.
- Surprise Collectible Gift and Member Merchandise: Each member who joins D23 will receive an exclusive collectible gift from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection. This merchandise line was created specifically with D23 members in mind, and each piece is authorized by the Walt Disney Archives. D23 members will have exclusive or early access to a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives Collection pieces.
- D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 — will be “The Ultimate Disney Fan Experience,” featuring incredible speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, interactive experiences, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and much more. All Disney fans are welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early access to the show daily. D23 also offers unique members-only special event opportunities throughout the year.
Disney Twenty-Three Quarterly Publication: Disney today launches its new quarterly publication Disney twenty-three, a hybrid entertainment and lifestyle magazine that is the all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney’s past, present and future. Its name pays homage to 1923, the year The Walt Disney Company was founded.
DISNEY.COM/D23: The D23 site on Disney.com will serve as the premier online destination for Disney fans, highlighted by breaking Disney news, exclusive feature stories, blogs, historical retrospectives, a collectibles boutique, special event information, and other content. The D23 online experience includes News & Features, Walt Disney Archives, Disney twenty-three, Expo & Events, and Boutique23. Highlights include:
NEWS & FEATURES
- Late-breaking news, press releases, and photos of interest to fans from every part of Disney.
- “Twilight Bark” – inspired by the Disney animated feature 101 Dalmatians – offers up the latest tidbits and news “bites” from all around the world of Disney.
- Feature articles and interviews on current Disney topics from theme parks and animation to television and motion pictures, as well as historical retrospectives.
- Official Disney Bloggers – Get regular updates on films in production at Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, current Walt Disney Imagineering projects, and the Walt Disney Archives.
WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES
- “This Day in Disney” – A daily walk down memory lane.
- “What’s Old Is News” – Go back in time and enjoy rare, vintage and classic articles, stories, interviews, press materials and other highlights from deep within the Disney Archives.
- “Ask Dave” – Disney Legend and Chief Archivist Dave Smith answers your questions about Disney history.
- “Archives Library” – helpful Disney reference tools including biographies, filmographies, award chronologies, Disney A to Z updates, historical profiles and other archival information.
- The online home of Disney twenty-three, D23’s quarterly publication.
- Expanded stories, interviews and imagery.
- “D Society: Online Edition” – regularly updated photo gallery.
- “The Funny Page: Daily Edition” – a delightful daily dose of vintage Disney comics that haven’t been seen outside the Disney Archives in decades.
- “Making Magic” – An archive of the unique crafts featured in Disney twenty-three.
- “Disney Dish” – Always be able to find your favorite recipes from Disney twenty-three.
EXPO & EVENTS
- “D23 Expo” – The official Web site for everything you need to know about “The Ultimate Disney Fan Experience” September 10–13, at the Anaheim Convention Center, including programming, show hours, celebrity appearances, keynote speakers, ticket information, vacation packages, and more.
- “D23 Member Special Events” – Throughout the year, D23 hosts special events created just for its members. Members can find out which ones they want to attend and how to register.
- D23 merchandise and collectibles, including D23 member-only offerings from the Walt Disney Archives Collection
- Hosted by Disneyshopping.com
- D23 membership
D23 membership is not required to visit Disney.com/D23, but some merchandise and special event opportunities are exclusive to D23 members.
Fans can join D23 at www.Disney.com/D23, all Disney Store locations within the United States, select shops at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, and www.DisneyShopping.com/D23.
About D23: The name “D23” pays homage to the wonder and excitement that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood. Through the years, Disney has captured the imagination of millions around the world, and, as requested by Disney fans everywhere, D23 gives them a greater, richer connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic.
Fans can stay connected to Disney every day through D23’s new Web site, www.disney.com/23 which features up-to-the-minute Disney news, feature stories, event info and more, but only D23 members will receive regular email updates on special event and merchandise opportunities exclusive to them. (Disney)
Probably the most exciting news is that concerning the D23 Expo coming up in September:
Imagine a place where every step you take immerses you further into the Disney movies, magic and memories that live so deeply in your heart.
That place will become a reality from September 10–13, 2009, when the D23 Expo comes to life at the Anaheim Convention Center. The Expo is the single largest gathering of all things Disney — so huge, in fact, it couldn’t fit at the Disneyland Resort just across the street!
The incredible experiences, exhibits and presentations at the Expo are another way D23 will connect fans to the timeless stories, characters and amazing worlds that we create here at Disney. Guests entering the main showroom floor of the recently renovated Convention Center will discover exciting pavilions from every part of The Walt Disney Company. Each will offer unique immersive experiences the whole family can enjoy. Parks and Resorts, Walt Disney Records, Disney Consumer Products, ABC, ESPN and Walt Disney Imagineering — to name a few — will all be featured. There will be surprising gallery events, author appearances and signings and even a beautiful Disney Home to walk through. Radio Disney will rock the Expo every day, and you can expect favorite Disney talent to make appearances throughout the event. (We hear there may even be a wedding!) And please stay tuned!… the D23 Expo micro site, coming soon, will give up-to-the-second breaking news about the Expo, including ticket information and online ordering, the latest event information and everything you need to know about the ultimate Disney fan experience!
One complete hall will be devoted to the eye-popping Disney Dream Store, an unbelievable shopping experience bursting with products from every corner of the Company. The Dream Store will also house merchandise that’s exclusive to the Expo, including magnificent pieces created just for D23 members from the Walt Disney Archives Collection.
Also nearby is the expansive Collectors Forum, where fans can buy, sell and trade from their Disney collectibles. The Forum will feature a massive Pin Trading headquarters — perfect for both casual collectors and ardent enthusiasts.
The Center’s spectacular 5,000-seat arena, one of its most visually striking and iconic features, will feature top Disney executives delivering keynote addresses, as well as fantastic fashion shows and live performances. Upstairs from the main halls, Walt Disney Studios are also combining the Center’s five enormous ballrooms into the giant Studio Theater, where they will offer continuous presentations and screenings of thrilling upcoming fare from animation, live action, Disneynature, Muppets and more. Expect filmmakers and talent to drop in for sneak peeks at movies from A Christmas Carol and Prince of Persia to The Princess and the Frog and Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure.
While Expo show floor hours will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, there will be a number of screenings in the evening. D23 members will receive a discount on Expo tickets, as well as special early entry to the event starting at 8 a.m. Tickets for the Expo will go on sale this spring, so stay tuned for details. The event is open to both D23 members and the general public. For more information, visit D23Expo.com.
Here are just a few of the happenings you won’t want to miss at the D23 Expo. Check out D23Expo.com for more details!
Keynote addresses from Bob Iger, president and CEO, The Walt Disney Company; Dick Cook, chairman, Walt Disney Studios; John Lasseter, chief creative officer, Disney and Pixar Animation Studios; Rich Ross, president, Disney Channel Worldwide; Jay Rasulo, chairman, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts; Bruce Vaughn, chief creative executive, Walt Disney Imagineering — and many more!
Stunning fashion shows celebrating new Disney Couture and Disney bridal gowns.
Watch your favorite Disney classic films on the big screen once again at The 50 and Fabulous Film Festival. A panel of special guests will discuss their memories and the significance of these beloved films. At the first D23 Expo, we will celebrate those that reach the half-century mark this year. On the roster: Sleeping Beauty, Darby O’Gill and the Little People and The Shaggy Dog!
There is certainly a lot more to this club than we originally imagined, so congratulations to the Walt Disney Company on a job well done and for finally offering an official Disney Fan Club for those of us who have been waiting such a long time. Be sure to stay tuned to Disneyland News Today as more information becomes available in the coming months regarding D23.