Comic Con Figures Offered Via QR Code

At Friday’s WDW Trade Night, Disney explained to us the process through which the 5 Comic Con Vinylmation sets will be made available. Attendees at the event will be able to obtain QR codes to scan with their phone. This QR code is the only way to access the online shop where the Vinylmation that is made available that day can be purchased. At the end of the day, after attendees have their exclusive opportunity to purchase the figures, whatever quantity left over will be made available to everyone. I’m not trying to be a downer here, but after seeing how Disney handles its online sales, I am not having a good feeling about this. Numerous questions are brought to mind immediately including: What time exactly should we non-attendees be looking for these? How will the online store (assuming Disney Store?) handle the inventory count? I am not savvy when it comes to QR codes so, are they unique to each guest? Can they be made public and shared? Where do we non-attendees even look the product to see if it is available yet? It seems like a fun yet overly technical way to deal with a product that is going to be in such high demand. And given Disney’s online track record, we are not only in for some sleepless nights, but some frustrating ones. But I do hope for the best. That it runs smoothly and we collectors are given precise directions on how to attempt to purchase the figures we would like to add to our collections. I just wish they didn’t make us jump through so many hoops to do so.

Check out our Comic Con Explained page for all the pictures, release schedule and details, but for the first time we were shown the 3″/Jr King and Queen of Hearts:

That will be a July 14 release and an LE of 2500 with a price tag of $24.95.

Brad B
Brad B

QR codes themslves are simple to use. Hold your SMARTphone up to the QR code. Your SMARTphone scans the code, then it sends you to a corresponding website. In this case, once you are on the site, I imagine it takes you through an ordering process. Like you said above, if it’s the DisneyStore.com website, I am sure it will be a fiasco. If it is another website set up by SDCC, then it will be hot or miss as to how easy it will be. One saving grace is that not everyone who attends SDCC and wants a vinyl… Read more »

BooToYou7
BooToYou7

Wouldn’t it be possible for someone at the event to take a good picture of the QR code and publish it online? If it’s a clear enough picture, I would think people at home would be able to scan it and buy the figures.

Brad B
Brad B

Let’s hope that someone will publish that code! ;-) Unless Disney has set up 2000+ websites, each with a different address, the QR code should be universal to everyone.

Bootoyou7
Bootoyou7
Reply to  Brad B

As much as I want the Carl and Ellie vinylmation, I would be ILL if I had paid to go to ComicCon and got beat out at a chance at the figures because someone published the QR code and everyone at home got it before I had a chance. Seems like there’s a very good chance these “Comic Con Exclusives” could become public before they were meant to be. Disney should have come up with a better system so those people don’t get screwed over. ((call me a hypocrite though because if the QR code goes public, I would use… Read more »

Annemarie
Annemarie
Reply to  Bootoyou7

Agreed. I hope they have a handle on this for that reason.

rogpalmeruk
rogpalmeruk

It just sounds too complicated…I get it for the comic con twin pack, but the AIW & up ones would sell out regardless of All this qr rubbish.

Janie Wagner
Janie Wagner

Will it they be on the Comic Con website or Disney shopping ?

disneyman
disneyman

For the boy/ girl combo, is it part of urban 10 since the box pattern is urban

Penguin
Penguin
Reply to  disneyman

The pattern isn’t just used for the Urban series, it’s also used as a generic Vinylmation pattern, and so can be seen on their blog and other merchandise etc..

disneyman
disneyman
Reply to  Penguin

ok, thanks

WDWgirl
WDWgirl

Any updates on how this is going to work tomorrow???

Eric S
Eric S

check out what i saw on the events page of the official vinylmation page..

July 14, 2012
PRODUCT RELEASE
Disney Parks Online Store

Updated – Alice in Wonderland Series, Queen and King of Hearts, 3-inch/Vinylmation Jr. set (Edition Size 2500 / Retail: $ 24.95)
July 15, 2012
PRODUCT RELEASE
Disney Parks Online Store

Updated – Popcorns 1 Series, Mickey Mouse Pie Eye Variant Edition (Edition Size: 5000/ Retail: $ 24.95)