If you’ve ever driven to the Walt Disney World, you know that having a car on property can be a double-edged sword. You have the freedom to leave the Parks when you want/need to go, but you are also dealing with parking costs and issues. I can’t think of a more difficult parking lot to navigate on property than the ones at Downtown Disney.
With the exciting Disney Springs expansion coming over the next few years and construction already starting, many guests have questions about the new parking situation at Downtown Disney. The best part is that even MORE parking spots are coming and parking will continue to be complimentary.
Construction has started on the first of two multi-level parking garages. The first will be located near the AMC Theatres and Splitsville Luxury Lanes; this garage is expected to be completed in October 2014. The second garage will be located near the World of Disney store, and is set to open in 2016. There will continue to be surface parking spots in addition to the two parking garages.
Meanwhile, if you are planning on visiting Walt Disney World and Downtown Disney any time soon, there are some parking tips for your upcoming trip:
- Let Disney do the driving. Even if you have driven to your chosen Resort, take the complimentary Disney buses to and from Downtown Disney.
- If you are dining at Downtown Disney, or catching Cirque Du Soleil, be sure to arrive early to your reservation. Plan on arriving 60 minutes prior to your reservation.
- If you DO drive, here are some tricks to parking your vehicle:
- There is additional parking across the street from Downtown Disney, which are open Fridays, Saturdays and holidays. These spaces are near the SunTrust and Casting buildings (see the map below). Be sure to use the signal lights and crosswalks when crossing to the Downtown Disney area.
- Guests can also use the Team Disney parking lot. There will be a complimentary shuttle with direct service to and from Downtown Disney’s West Side, or you can walk the short distance to your destination.
- To get between the West Side, Pleasure Island, and the Marketplace, you can use the Boat Transportation to get from one end of Downtown Disney to the other.
- If you are not sure of where to park, ask a Cast Member. They can direct you to the best available parking options.