The winter issue of D23’s flagship magazine is being dedicated to everyone’s beloved nanny, Mary Poppins, to celebrate both the upcoming 50th anniversary of Disney’s Mary Poppins film and the December release of Saving Mr. Banks.
Available exclusively to D23 Gold Members, the magazine will include exclusive interviews with Saving Mr. Banks stars Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Bradley Whitford, as well as director John Lee Hancock. Readers will be taken behind the scenes of the new film which opens this Christmas as well as the creation of Disney’s Mary Poppins and the sometimes combative but respectful relationship between the character’s creator, P.L. Travers (Thompson), and Walt Disney (Hanks).
The D23 winter issue will also offer a look inside the fascinating life of P.L. Travers, with a personal reminiscence by her friend, author Brian Sibley. Also, original film composer Richard M. Sherman, visual consultant Tony Walton, and choreographers Marc Beaux and Dee Dee Wood will offer exclusive insight into the creation of the 1964 Disney classic, which will officially celebrate its 50th anniversary next August.
Also included in the Winter issue of Disney twenty-three:
- A first-person account of the creation of the stage musical Mary Poppins from Disney Theatrical Productions president Thomas Schumacher
- “Elements of Fun,” looking at 50 years of unique “Mary merchandise”
- An in-depth look at the film’s groundbreaking special effects
- A walk down the red carpet for the Mary Poppins premiere at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
All D23 Members are invited to visit www.D23.com, where the fan club is kicking off its year-long celebration of Mary Poppins’ 50th anniversary with a unique video reconstruction of the Mary Poppins world premiere, containing five minutes of never-before-released material.
Although the original telecast of the event appears to have been lost forever, this 22-minute segment will re-create the excitement and glamor of the stellar premiere at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre on August 27, 1964.
Other features planned for D23.com’s online celebration include:
- Extensive Mary Poppins galleries, including a look at the film’s breathtaking matte paintings
- An interactive map of the Walt Disney Studios with photo locations from Saving Mr. Banks
- Rarely heard audio files from the making of Mary Poppins
- An in-depth Mary Poppins production timeline
- A look at the sodium screen/traveling matte process, which gave the film its unique visual look
- An exclusive interview with Mary Poppins visual consultant Tony Walton
Also in the winter issue, D23 Gold Members will receive a reproduction of the ticket mailed to invitees for the Mary Poppins premiere at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.
I don’t know about you, but there are times when planning a Disney vacation can be overwhelming! There are so many options, where to stay, when to go, is this the best price. So, I want to introduce you all to Cindy Minor and the team at Small World Big Fun. They will help you plan your Disney vacation for FREE. Contact them today!