The Spring 2014 issue of Disney twenty-three, the official magazine of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, will celebrate Disney’s contributions to the 1964 World’s Fair in New York. The Fair, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, celebrated a time of optimism, growth, and progress, and marked the creation of landmark Disney technology, music, and attractions including it’s a small world, Audio-Animatronics® technology, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Carousel of Progress—with its memorable theme song “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.” The magazine’s writers sat down with several Disney legends responsible for these iconic landmarks including Marty Sklar, Alice Davis, and Bob Gurr. Stunning concept art and rarely seen photography from the Fair complement the stories in this issue, available exclusively to Gold Members of D23.
The Spring issue will also include a look ahead at some of the latest entertainment coming from Disney. Ty Burrell, Tina Fey, Kermit the Frog, and Miss Piggy give readers a peek “behind the felt” at Muppets Most Wanted, which opens in March. Chris Evans talks about suiting up once again for April’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Plus, Jonathan Freeman discusses taking his characterization of the villainous Jafar from screen to stage, as Disney Theatrical Productions prepares to open Aladdin on Broadway this March.
Also included in the Spring issue of Disney twenty-three:
- We celebrate D23’s fifth anniversary with a look at some of the club’s most memorable events
- “Ask Dave” with Disney Legend and Chief Archivist Emeritus Dave Smith returns to print in the U.S. for the first time in nearly a decade
- Disney trendsetters are all the rage—and on the page—in “The Hippest Place on Earth”
- Regular columns including A Walk with Walt, PHOTOfiles, D Society, and more
All D23 Members are invited to visit www.D23.com for additional members-only content, including extended Q&As with Kermit, Fey, Burrell, and the irrepressible Miss Piggy from Muppets Most Wanted.
Other features coming to D23.com include:
- A closer look at the artwork from it’s a small world’s Tower of the Four Winds at the New York World’s Fair
- Details on which parts of the World’s Fair attractions made their way to Disneyland
- A drive though the Ford Magic Skyway, with an extensive photo gallery
Also, D23 Gold Members will receive a reproduction of the “Souvenir Map and Small World Guide” from the centerfold of the commemorative it’s a small world, guide book in the Spring issue
Disney twenty-three is offered exclusively to D23 Gold Members as a benefit of their membership.