BREAKING: Disneyland Will Test FastPass+ System This Summer, Hong Kong Launching in 2016

For those who felt FastPass+ and MyMagic+ were failing at Walt Disney World, you may want to start re-thinking your theories.

magicBandFeatured

As most of the major bugs in the system have been worked out over the last few months, it seems Disney is ready to launch the system globally. The Disneyland Resort in California will be conducting their very first tests for FastPass+ in August 2015. Hong Kong Disneyland will officially launch their system with the opening of the Iron Man Experience in 2016.

FastPass+ takes the FastPass ticketing system into the digital age, removing the paper FastPass distribution points at attractions with a system guests can use to book a FastPass online, in an app, or at one of several designated kiosks within the parks and have it linked to their ticket/MagicBand. Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland still use the original FastPass system currently.

dFangX

Hey, I’ll be their in August! I hope I can ask about it and try it out. Especially if they have the bands. I still want one. ;o;

cast member on the DL ;)
cast member on the DL ;)
Reply to  dFangX

The bands are cute. I’m a WDW cast member (not in ticket sales). The bands come with resort stays, or an annual type pass. Otherwise, you purchase them, and they’re available with many colors. And many ‘add ons’ that clip on the band for purchase. The add ons are becoming as popular as pin trading, and carry a similar theme and price. The old system rewarded people who learned the parks and beat feet going to different kiosks. The new system, though has a learning curve with the application, rewards those who plan farther ahead and spend the most at… Read more »

Ethan

I wonder if MagicBand support will be included in this or not?

Matthew

This magic bands are looking great.

trackback

[…] Disney World News Today reported on Thursday afternoon that Disney is planning to test the Fastpass+ system at the Disneyland Resort in California this […]

Comic Book Nerd (@CBNerd)

My family is planning a trip in November. We have our Magic Band colors selected, ready and waiting for us when we arrive. Looking forward to being able to move about the parks with ease.

Toby

Ha ha. This guy’s cute.

Reply to  Toby

Don’t know what you are talking about Toby. Having a MagicBand makes getting in the parks easy.

Amy
Amy

Hi! Do you think it will be for good neighbor hotels or just the 3 DLR hotels? Exciting!

A Kaufman
A Kaufman

Glad we are going before the testing. We were very good at the fast pass system and Disney World and have now used fast pass + we had half the amount of fast passes and had to stress and preplan. I agree the bands are nice and handy but would love it if they used the bands with the old system where you get fast passes the day of!

Denise Garcia Griffith
Reply to  A Kaufman

they do…..we went in February with normal paper tickets…..a cast member took us to a machine and asked us what rides we wanted to go on and the times we wanted…..so he punched in the info. and all we had to do was show up at those times for the rides and waved our paper tickets in front of the Mickey head….when it turned green we could proceed…..very cool :)

Amy
Amy

Of course the green Mickey is cool and all, but if you don’t pre book it is very hard to get major attractions. Our only choice of going is when students are on break. Last October we had our fast pass for Test Track so we couldn’t get one for Sorrin until we used it at 11:00 in the morning because of the pre booking we didn’t get one for Sorrin and we didn’t wait in line. Over Easter break we managed to go on both of those rides twice in a day with fast passes. Also, with the one… Read more »

JKRD
JKRD
Reply to  Amy

The whole purpose of the new fastpass system is to allow more people to experience the major headliner rides. It’s designed to prevent a family getting on 3-4 times in one day and allowing others to experience it for the first time without the dreaded 2+ hour wait.

Brian Bauer
Reply to  JKRD

And also to get people in lines for the “lesser” rides.

may
may

I love the wdw system with magic bands and prebooked fastpasses.. . Way easier than paper fastpass system. So much better for me.

Darby
Darby

I wonder how that would work for Annual Pass holders?

NancyB
Reply to  Darby

At WDW, you get a MagicBand every year as a Passholder, and if staying at a resort you can make FP+ reservations just like other resort guests (60 days in advance, 3 FP+ per day for 1 park). If you’re local, looks like you can book FP+ for any 7 days per 30 day period, and only 30 days in advance. More here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/passholder/

Tonya Carter
Tonya Carter
Reply to  NancyB

I’m a WDW passholder. You can only get it up to 30 days in advance, and they don’t give you nearly as much availability as people staying on property. As of right now, I cannot get on Mine Train for 30 days. It’s blocked out as though they’re taken, but they’re not, it’s cleverly designed. Trust me, this system will not allow you to utilize rides fast pass as much as before, and you’ll be spending much more time in lines. You don’t want it. That said, you will get it. They invested as much money at WDW on this… Read more »

Reply to  Tonya Carter

I’m a WDW pass holder too, and live 5 minutes from WDW. I think MagicBands and FP+ is great and it’s made the experience much better for us.

Aaron

Maybe not, according to Park Vice-President for Disneyland Park Mary Niven. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-star-wars-coming-to-disneyland-but-no-magic-bands-20150521-story.html

Reply to  Aaron

FP+ is coming. MagicBands aren’t. Big difference.

MegaZone

Just in time for D23 Expo – which I’ll be attending. I hope I get to use the FP+.

Kelly
Kelly

The new sysmem IS a total fail for the guest experience. But Disney isn’t much about a good guest experience anymore or a ‘wow experience, it’s only about efficiency, and sheer profit at any other expense.

Jeff
Jeff
Reply to  Kelly

Sorry you had problems or couldn’t figure it out.
But FP+ and Magic hands were flawless for my Wife & I on our recent 12 night WDW vacation.
I’m so hopeful it becomes a permanent addition to my home park, DLR.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Jeff

It’s not a matter of figuring it out, we’ve spent many trips with it, we are Disney Vacation Club members. it’s that they ‘throttle’ the availability of fast passes to your expenses. If you have guests traveling at different resorts, you’ll get differing availability. If you ‘re off site (not spending money on Disney lodging), you’re availability when parks are busy is bleak. KEEP IN MIND: Fast pass was NEVER meant as a guest convenience, but as a method to keep people OUT of lines and spending money in the parks. Realizing this, the new system takes that to the… Read more »

Reply to  Kelly

Wrong. My guest experience with MagicBands and FP+ has been fantastic. I live 5 minutes from WDW and I’m an AP holder. I have no clue what you are talking about with it being a “fail”. We love it.

Rick
Rick

I agree with Kelly. At WDW it works great when the parks aren’t very busy. Once busy, you need to book way in advance, and they seem to control how many fast passes you get by how expensive of a resort you’re staying at on property. If you’re not staying on property, you’re out of luck for the best ride times. This is not transparent, but if you check your app (we live near Orlando) and check guests on resorts (have had that before), they get many more choices on the system, and to us, it just looks like there’s… Read more »

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Rick

What would the non-busy times be for those staying offsite? We would like to go either the second half of 2016 or the beginning of January 2017 (have already bought tickets (a few years back) and have to go before my middle child turns 10 on January 17, 2017 – but want to wait until our baby is two, so she can enjoy it more). Thanks!

trackback

[…] May 21 – WDW News Today is reporting that a FastPass+ System test is coming to Disneyland beginning in August 2015. (Link) […]

Ronald Wanders

Any indication if Disneyland Paris will be getting the system as well? :)

Amy Foster
Amy Foster

The L.A.times reported the same day as your article that the president of Disneyland said no disney bands for.Disneyland….who’s right???

Reply to  Amy Foster

No MagicBands, but YES to FP+. You can have FP+ without MagicBands.

Perlster Pix

So, no FP+ testing in the Summer of 2015 – no FP+ testing through June of 2016 – you’re still holding on to that confederate money, I suppose.