A Theatrical Journey Ð Walt Disney World Resort guests can take a ride through the most famous film sets in silver screen history at The Great Movie Ride at DisneyÕs Hollywood Studios. Housed in a full-scale reproduction of HollywoodÕs world-famous Chinese Theater, the ride-through attraction travels through a soundstage tour of such memorable movie scenes as the ÒCasablancaÓ airport farewell, the Yellow Brick Road to Emerald City from ÒWizard of Oz,Ó the ÒRaiders of the Lost ArkÓ Well of Souls and many more. DisneyÕs Hollywood Studios is one of four theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (Scott Miller, photographer)

RUMOR: The Great Mickey Ride Replacing Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?

It has been a time for crazy rumors the last few months, and it seems there isn’t an end in sight under the Bob Chapek regime. The latest indicates that once the 3 year sponsorship deal between Turner Classic Movies and Disney is up, the Great Movie Ride would be replaced with something called “The Great Mickey Ride”.

While details are scarce at this point, rumors indicate the ride would be trackless and is also being developed to go somewhere at the Disneyland Resort simultaneously.

The latest trend in the parks seems to be Disney removing any connections to franchises that Disney does not own (Twilight Zone for example), and the Great Movie Ride is packed with a lot of films that Disney has absolutely no ownership over. The line of thinking here would be to feature the first ride ever devoted to Mickey Mouse (clearly the property of the Walt Disney Company), something that has been attempted many times over the last 60 years but never built in any Disney theme park.

If plans remained unchanged and Disney pulls the trigger on this project, the Great Movie Ride would close just after the opening of the Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. However, keep in mind that this project is very blue sky at this point and may never see the light of day, but the Great Movie Ride’s removal is still a likely target for the company at this time.

Vince
Vince

I can’t wait to read these comments

Standard Staples
Standard Staples
Reply to  Vince

I’ll go ahead and beat them to it. Variations of: “Don’t touch my Great Movie Ride!” (Hasn’t actually been on the ride in the last decade) “This will be the death of Hollywood Studios as we know it. How dare they remove the park icon?!” (Assumes the whole theater will be torn down with the new attraction) “That’s it. If Disney does this, I’m never going to Walt Disney World ever again. Disney has sold its soul to the devil once and for all!” (Books a 7-day trip the next day.) “I’m 1,000,000% positive this won’t happen. Come on, Tom.… Read more »

Charles
Charles

You forgot:

“Where are these rumors coming from? How about putting actual news on your site instead of unsubstantiated hearsay as shameless clickbait.” (Keeps coming back in spite of being too smart for the accused clickbait)

Not Tom Corless
Not Tom Corless

Love it!

wdwfan
wdwfan
Reply to  Vince

Wow Vince you hit the nail on the head two days later and look at every body all upset .

Colton

While I love the Great Movie Ride, it’s lacking in anything updated. As you mentioned, the fact that Disney doesn’t own most of its parts is likely a factor in it not being updated on a more frequent basis.

After riding the Ratatouille trackless ride in Paris, I would love to see Disney move forward with something innovative at WDW like that. Moreso, I’d be ecstatic to have a ride dedicated to the Mouse.

Bob
Bob

This sounds really great! It’s time.

DisneyFaninKC
DisneyFaninKC

This seems a stretch after Disney just signed a deal with TMC to sponsor it. Usually those sponsorships are at least 10 years.

andrew
andrew
Reply to  DisneyFaninKC

Literally says in the story that it is a 3 year sponsorship…..

Smarter
Smarter
Reply to  andrew

Until the article has some substantial evidence to support this “3 year sponsorship,” I will gladly pull up the contract signed between both companies stating 5 years minimum…

andrew
andrew
Reply to  Smarter

Yes please I’d like to see it.

wdwfan
wdwfan

I hope it happens. Sounds great.

Astin
Astin

I think this would be great, the movie ride is getting old and out dated, many of the movies are to old for the last couple of generations to know them. I would live a ride dedicated to Mickey!! Cant wait to see how this turns out!!

Jeff
Jeff
Reply to  Astin

Agree 100%. This is exactly how we felt after returning from WDW in July. We talked about this ride and how outdated and it was time for a change.

Ben P
Ben P

This change makes 100% sense given the future direction of the park…minus it being Mickey Mouse. A Pixar themed ride or something like that would make a lot more sense. As much as I think Disney needs a Mickey/Minnie/Goofy/Donald ride, it seems like 1 ride would feel out of place in a park and needs more like 2 or 3 and a “land” to make sense. Who knows what is coming but I am always in favor of new and innovative.

Disney Fan 53
Disney Fan 53
Reply to  Ben P

Might as well move Toon Town to Sunset Boulevard

Robyn
Robyn
Reply to  Ben P

Supposedly, they are going to keep the exterior, Graumanns Chinese Theater, intact. So, making it a Pixar themed ride would not work there, because Pixar Place/Toy Story Land will be farther down from the theater building. However, it is currently in the vicinity of One Man’s Dream, the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Disney Junior. That area of the park has become a giant question mark since Star Wars and Toy Story were announced, because they are a mishmash of entities, instead of being all under one theme. If they did make this a tribute to Mickey, then they… Read more »

Robyn
Robyn
Reply to  Robyn

Sorry, forgot to add that Voyage to the Little Mermaid would of course have to close if this idea came to fruition. But that’s been a possibility since the new mermaid ride opened at Magic Kingdom.
Would be sad to see an opening day attraction close, but the idea of an entire land devoted to Walt, Mickey and classic Disney is actually something I can get excited about, should they do it ;)

Redo Epcot
Redo Epcot

Thank god this ride is going. One of the most outdate rides in all Disney Parks and it is the icon of Hollywood Stuidios. Last time I was on it my ride vehicle broke mid ride and backed up everything. Hollywood Studios is already changing so much might as well change the icon front and center in the park to the mouse that started it all

JimV
JimV

More interesting to me is it will go into Disneyland Resort too. Will it go into the Hollywood Backlot area where Monsters Inc is also there or replace Monsters Inc. There are a few spots sitting empty like the warehouse that they use for Frozen seasonal events (currently used for the Frozen musical upcharge event), and the never used dining facility. But this will conflict if they go with a Marvel Land so maybe Marvel will only remain at Tower of Terror area (future Guardians of the Galaxy) and further south. I wonder if the ride is screen based like… Read more »

vipes
vipes
Reply to  JimV

Backlot is gone. Many dead ends at various points in the park now. Assuming they are prepping for Star Wars…

Linda91949
Linda91949

Ya lets do away with the old classics so young people don’t know any of the history of movies. While we’re at it let’s get rid of carousel of progress, people mover, and jungle cruise. They’ve all been there too long and are boring to young people.

Chris
Chris
Reply to  Linda91949

I appreciate the sarcasm…but I’m here to say that the old attractions are not lost on all young people. Carousel of Progress and People Mover are my 8-year old’s top two favorite ride (Mine Train rounding out top 3). And while, I lamented the closing of Maelstrom and the new Guardians attraction, I think a refresh of the Great Movie Ride would be a good idea. An homage to Mickey (and Walt!) is a great idea. Leave the building intact and let’s have an attraction that has some “thrills” but also some edutainment regarding the history of Mickey, Walt, and… Read more »

Eddie
Eddie

I’m out. Been planning the next three years of vacations, actually. None of them involve Disney. To the point, though, The Great Movie Ride is old and tired, there’s no doubt about that. It was also revolutionary and jaw-dropping when it opened. Disney, however, is no longer committed to a theme park about movies and entertainment, just as it is no longer committed to a theme park about the future and culture. Soon, I expect, Animal Kingdom will begin receiving its major overhaul to be entirely Disney themed. (Interesting, though, that they are gambling so big on “Avatar.” And gambling… Read more »

Chet
Chet
Reply to  Eddie

OK, so why comment. Don’t go away mad, just go away.

JimV
JimV
Reply to  Eddie

None of Disney’s original parks adhere to their original missions. This is evident a long time ago. Animal Kingdom stopped being a zoo and its focus on animals is mainly the Safari attraction. DHS is not about movies and entertainment for a long time. Epcot stopped being about its country pavilions and futuristic ideas. This isn’t a bad progression. People come to Disney theme parks to experience Disney entertainment. This won’t change. You call it franchise to exploit. I call it product that you paid to see.

andrew
andrew
Reply to  Eddie

As a Disney loyalist shouldn’t you be happy for a Mickey Mouse darkride? The company was built on that Mouse not random movies and short of retheming every scene to be Disney movie related, this makes the most sense.

RobPlays
RobPlays
Reply to  Eddie

“Disney, however, is no longer committed to a theme park about movies and entertainment”

-despite the rumor being that this will be a ride about Mickey Mouse, an entertainment staple in American history, that would open after Star Wars Land (a land focused on a series of movies) and Toy Story Land (a land focused on a series of movies).

Yeah… not committed to a theme park about movies and entertainment at all. /s

Benjamin David Englesmith
Benjamin David Englesmith
Reply to  RobPlays

I think there’s a difference between a park that is “about movies” and a park with movie based rides. Fantasyland is full of rides that are based on movies, but I don’t think you’d say that the land is “about movies”.

Kathryn
Kathryn

I love the great movie ride, it was always going to be my Disney Job when I retire lol.

But it makes sense for Disney not to be paying for franchises that it doesn’t need.

The studios were always going to have a different feel once Star Wars and Toy Story Lands open.

Exciting times ahead…… I hope

Benjamin David Englesmith
Benjamin David Englesmith

Wouldn’t it make more sense to just update it to something like the Great Disney Movie Ride and mine Disney’s live action movie library for inspiration? They could include Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller, Mary Poppins and other classics along with more modern classics like Tron, Pirates, or even Tim Burton’s Alice movie (at least the first one). Or maybe they could focus on Disney’s Oscar wins or other cinematic achievements. Walt himself wonore Oscars than anyone, and the Disney company has continued to win them since his death. There’s got to be some inspiration there… but maybe… Read more »

Robyn
Robyn

I like that too, that is an awesome idea!! Could still work as part of a classic Disney themed land. Again, awesome idea sir!! :)

vipes
vipes

Good idea. I noticed a couple weeks ago were even the small venues missing on the making of Disney animation, history, etc. This would be a good replacement/update.

Karen
Karen

Disney will do what they do for all the reasons they do it. We either like it or we don’t. There are thousands to take our place. I hope I will like the changes. If I don’t I will always have my photos and my memories.

Gabe
Gabe

A museum piece isn’t what you want the energy of your front-and-center “weinee” ride feeling like in any park, especially one getting a zillion dollar evergreen-IP-heavy facelift. The TCM sponsorship has been a classy injection, but it feels like it’s time, doesn’t it? The ride system is clunky, slow-loading, and slow-moving. The technology is showing its age. The films for show scenes aren’t just outside properties but are also becoming generationally irrelevant. I’m a park completist when I go, checking off attractions that I don’t love simply because I have an open moment and they’re there – I skip this… Read more »

Benjamin David Englesmith
Benjamin David Englesmith
Reply to  Gabe

I see what you’re talking about, but I have to at least partially disagree. Your logic about low energy museums as park icons would also suggest that Spaceship Earth needs to be replaced. Maybe you think that, but I don’t agree. The park icon needs to be representative of the concept of the park. If the park is about “Hollywood” or “the movies” then the icon needs to be too. Also I have to scratch my head about the idea that certain properties should be replaced because younger people don’t find them relevant. These properties are classics for a reason.… Read more »

Gabe
Gabe

I still love Spaceship Earth and don’t find it as creaky as GMR (except for the track and vehicles, yikes), and, outdated as they were, I miss the classic edutainment dark ride feel of World of Motion and Horizons. If anyone should be in the tank for thirty more years of GMR, it’s me. The attractions you mentioned – Splash Mountain, Seven Dwarfs, Dumbo – use an IP for their skin, but can still be fundamentally enjoyed with little knowledge of that IP. A fantastic, color flume. A family coaster. A straightforward spinner. Another thing that sets those three IPs… Read more »

Pat Anderson

I love the great movie ride, in fact We rode it 3 times on our last visit in 2014, however I am remember all of those movies. it is time to move forward and I am thankful Disney see that.

Austin
Austin

I smell a return of the sorcerer’s hat… I’m fine with the dismantling of a ride that seems more and more out of place with the new direction of the Studios. If I were imagineer for a day, I’d combine One Man’s Dream history into a Spaceship Earth type of journey through time (without the lame interactive screens about our…cough…future). You can have modern animatronic Walt Disneys throughout the development of the brand and then the evolution of the Mouse himself. This would then be something that wouldn’t date itself in the immediate future and give proper tribute to an… Read more »

Geoffrey Riccio
Reply to  Austin

All I had to read was ‘One Man’s Dream combined with Spaceship Earth’ and I was like ‘YUPPPP!!’ That would be so cool!! If they do follow through, they need to do it that way!

Goofy213
Goofy213
Reply to  Austin

I thought of this too. Walt would be your host,and start out with an introduction to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. After the hostile take over of Oswald you would be introduced to our Hero Mickeys development from rough drawing to Steamboat Willie. Following this breakthrough we witness Mickeys early success until his big screen debut in Fantasia. Everything up until now is in black and white. Once sorcerer Mickey is introduced everything changes to color. Now we journey through a whirlwind career full of shorts and feature films with cameos from some very loyal friends, and a few advisaries. I… Read more »

Robyn
Robyn
Reply to  Goofy213

I love it! :) what a cool idea!! Another reason why the execs should read these forums! :)

Richard Alvarez
Richard Alvarez
Reply to  Robyn

HAHAHAHA Funniest post ever. AS IF Disney execs cared one cent about what their customers would be happy with.

They go out of the way to make it all about profit, branding, and as inexpensive as possible.

If this rumor is true, it will be to sell merchandise and meet and greets. Not nearly as cool as the concept stated above, or any existing rides replaced.

Robyn
Robyn

Unfortunately everything corporate nowadays is intended to make money, sad, but true. And Richard, you didn’t have to comment and say that my post was funny; I’m sorry, but that was a little rude. I said what I said exactly because of your point, that the current Disney execs don’t read these forums and they probably never will because the majority of them only see dollar signs and have grown highly disconnected with what their fan base actually wants. It’s sad, but it’s true, and that’s why I put it in my post, that it’s a shame the Disney execs… Read more »

Rob Paige
Rob Paige

Short and sweet of it, I think Disney is no longer filled with the magic they used to have. In fact, I would say they are out of touch for the most part. This is what happens when corporate greed and shareholders come before customers and (once) loyal fans.

Smitty
Smitty
Reply to  Rob Paige

Or maybe you have changed and not so much Disney. As we grow older we look at things differently, no harm, it’s just the way it is.

Larry
Larry
Reply to  Smitty

No. Rob Paige is right. Smitty must work for Disney. The place has gone done hill. They used to care about guests having a good time. Now it’s 100% money they want, they couldn’t care about magic, a good time, safety, or anything else.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Larry

If I ran Disney it would be all about guests having a good time and giving Wall Street the middle finger. Disney needs to be run by communists.

Katie
Katie
Reply to  Dave

I think Smitty is right. As we grow older we see Disney differently. It goes from the most magical place on earth to outdated and a waste of time and money. I grew up practically next to DL and the magic will never be outdated to me. I swear I’m not a cast member or employee of any sort for Disney

Geoffrey Riccio

I love the Great Movie Ride, so many great memories as a kid. However, every time I ride it now, I’m longing for it to be updated. So, personally, I would love it if they renovated it rather than removed it completely. It’s such an iconic symbol and amazing building, why not just add to the ride? Maybe add a Star Wars section if you want to keep the IP present, or update it with some classics that have come out since the ride completed? I get that kids today don’t understand 80% of the ride, but I didn’t either… Read more »

Experiment 626

Whenever I hear people talk about the movies in this ride being outdated, I think it is missing the point to a certain extent. That point being, I think part of the purpose is to (ssh!) gently educate guests on the history of movies and show how many of the films represented were seminal and influenced and shaped what followed. Some of them might be better represented with an upgrade (the Tarzan scene could be less silly, for one, and it would be nice if the Footlight Parade scene actually WORKED again), and I could see possibly replacing a scene… Read more »

Benjamin David Englesmith
Benjamin David Englesmith
Reply to  Experiment 626

I completely agree with everything Experiment 626 said. Something being hip and “relevant” with today’s fickle audience is not a good reason to build a ride about it. In fact I would say that the opposite is more true because a franchise that quickly becomes popular can just as quickly become unpopular when the audience moves on to the next thing.

JimV
JimV
Reply to  Experiment 626

Disney is no different than any other company. It must do what it can with the reality… meaning it can’t run against public needs or desires. Education in rides and attractions assumes the public is not familiar with the content. The new reality is everyone is supposed to know about the content so the ride doesn’t have to explain itself. Even if Disney changes The Great Movie Ride to current films, people don’t necessarily want to be educated on how movies are made or enjoyed. They just want to enjoy it. The ride at minimum needs to have a different… Read more »

Yolanda
Yolanda
Reply to  Experiment 626

Disney’s only goal is to get most money and give guests the least experience or expense to get that money.

That’s the only purpose of the parks of the last 10 years. Anyone who frequents or works there for long would agree.

Bob Iger doesn’t like the theme park division. Case closed. He’s a media only guy. Disney can’t afford to hire expensive talent, and has cheapens out there too.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Yolanda

Yolanda, you are completely wrong! Do not spread such stupid lies! ?

Jon
Jon
Reply to  Yolanda

Yolanda that is terrible. I feel sad for you.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Jon

Terribly true. YOU should feel sad for future guests of the parks! Unless Disney gets management that gives 2 cents about their guests, Disney is a movie and media company, and has no business in theme parks.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Robert

What fortune 500 company do you run? Another know it all, who really knows nothing.

Larry
Larry
Reply to  Yolanda

I am sad to agree with Yolanda. Disney is on the boards disagreeing. No lies to it. Disney is a dirty theme park with very little care about guests.

Bob Iger has not been a fan of the parks. That’s a fact. If it doesn’t generate a huge profit, it goes away. It’s about sales of merchandise only now. Not very clean or safe as it used to be either.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Larry

Larry, Larry, Larry. OK, thanks for the enlightening post!

Katheryn
Katheryn
Reply to  Bob

Ok. This is pissing me off (excuse my language) Disney DOES care about their guests and EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TIME I’ve been to ANY Disney park ever I have had the best service! My children adore the parks and everyone in my family thinks that Disney is the best place to be! If you don’t think that way then why the h*ll are you researching this? Some 12 year old could be reading this and you ruined the magic for them! You all are crazy! The ride should have an update but only a small one. I say keep The… Read more »