Disneyland President Says New Membership Options Are “Not Designed to Limit Choice and Flexibility” Compared to Annual Passes

In the wake of canceling the Annual Passholder program, Ken Potrock, President of Disneyland, spoke to the Orange County Register about the resort’s future membership options.

Though he didn’t offer any specifics, Potrock said that the Disneyland Resort team will be using the time while Disneyland and Disney California Adventure remain closed “to develop new offerings and a new way to think about the business given the situation we find ourselves in.”

Potrock listed the following questions that are being considered in developing future membership options: “What do people want in this new world? When do they want to access our parks? How frequently do they want to access our parks? With what level of spontaneity? With what level of value? All of those kinds of things and many more.”

While the new program will incorporate some elements of the old Annual Passholder program, it will also include new features and experiences.

“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility,” Potrock explained. “It’s designed to enhance choice and flexibility. People may say, ‘Here’s how I’ve always used it.’ People may say, ‘Here’s what I bought, but I didn’t quite use it and optimize it.’ People may say, ‘I have a different family structure or my financial situation is different. I would love to do it a little bit differently than I’ve done in the past.’ What we’re hoping to be able to provide is the choice and flexibility for all of those different evolving states.”

“There’s nothing off the table as we begin to think about things that are important for people,” Potrock went on. “Whether it’s the number of times that they visit on a product offering. Whether it’s when. Is it midweek or weekend? Is it morning or afternoon? Is it day-part oriented? It’s all of those kinds of things that we’re incredibly curious to hear back from the guests about.”

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have been closed since mid-March 2020 and it looks like they may reach a year of closure. For now, Disneyland Resort fans can continue to visit Downtown Disney District and Buena Vista Street. Keep checking Disneyland News Today for updates.

4 2 votes
Notify of
guest

Garth
Garth
1 month ago

“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility,” Hmm, when I hear that, that is exactly what I expect they will do.

Sue
Sue
1 month ago

They stop annual passes. They will lose a lot of people. If you live in Florida that was the thing to buy. And people spent money. Even people form other states that would come down more then 4 times a year it was a good deal. Now you want to discontinue it. I will never buy another pass or even go there anymore and we had passes for years.

Eric M
Eric M
1 month ago

And if we believe that, I’m sure they have a bridge to sell us…

Stacey
Stacey
1 month ago

They should bring back the “no expiration” option they used to have for multi day tickets. I used to do that to plan for my trips to WDW…that and the park hopper option. It was the most cost effective option for someone who lives in Kansas. If I didn’t use all my days I could use them later. I typically try to go down at least once a year..but with the changes in ticket options and increasing prices (before Covid)…I haven’t been down since Jan of 2018. As much as I love going, it’s just getting to be ridiculously expensive.… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Stacey
Jackie hirschi
Jackie hirschi
1 month ago
Reply to  Stacey

I completely agree

Carolyn
Carolyn
1 month ago

I’ve been a Disneyland pass holder since around 2002. And I currently would use my pass weekly and spend 2 to 6 hours at the park. Usually in the day, usually mid week. Weekends if meeting my granddaughter. I want to have a meal and enjoy the freedom , rides are not so important but I do enjoy shows and parades. Now I use a motorized scooter to get around, which is part of the reason I only stay a few hours, and I would love to bring back the dreams of a great world by visiting frequently again

Tim
Tim
1 month ago

The guy seems to only talk in corporate speak and it’s a bit infuriating.

Jackie hirschi
Jackie hirschi
1 month ago

There is nothing more annoying then visiting Disneyland when you do not live in the state of California, and find that it is so overrun with locals that you cannot enjoy your experience. Disney realizes but yet has done nothing to this point to make it possible for Outsiders that meaning those living outside of California to get the most of their experience. Locals do not purchase merchandise, they do not purchase food, they bring their own food. People who are visiting purchasing merchandise purchase and food. I have sat next to people who pull out their cheese sandwiches and… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Jackie hirschi
Lisa
Lisa
1 month ago
Reply to  Jackie hirschi

There are those who have APs who aren’t locals and spend a lot of money on food, merch, & hotels. My family is one of them. On the flip side of what you’ve mentioned, I know non-APs who can only afford to visit because they bring their own food. There are arguments for both sides.

Garth
Garth
1 month ago
Reply to  Jackie hirschi

The ‘locals’ come out on holidays and weekends. The passholders come out for special events and on shoulder seasons and slow days. Before the AP was big Disneyland was always packed in the summer and holidays and dead otherwise. AP’s visit smart. We visit early and leave early, late and close the park, rain days and other slow days. I would argue we keep the park open when it otherwise wouldn’t be. I disagree that APs don’t spend money at the park. There were thousands that purchased Star Wars merch and started doing weekly meet ups at the park. That… Read more »

brama
brama
1 month ago

he wants to hear from guest because he’s too lazy to figure it out after having 50 years worth of collected data.

this is what we call lip service