Want to get an exclusive peek at future Walt Disney Studios projects that include film, stage and music productions? Well, if you’ll be attending the D23 Expo in Anaheim August 9-11, you’re in for a treat…
This year, two arena shows will be presented:
- Kicking off the Expo at 10:00a.m. on Friday, August 9, The Walt Disney Studios presents “Art and Imagination: Animation at The Walt Disney Studios,” showcasing upcoming animated films from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, and DisneyToon Studios, hosted by John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer of Disney’s Animation Studios. This lively exhibition will feature never-before-seen footage, celebrity and filmmaker appearances and live performances from several films such as Disney’s Frozen, Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur, and the Mickey Mouse short Get a Horse!
- At 10:30a.m. Saturday, August 10, Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios Chairman, Sean Bailey, Disney’s Live Action Production President, and Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios President and Producer will host “Let the Adventures Begin: Live Action at The Walt Disney Studios.” This expedition will journey through the Studio’s live-action offerings as well as several powerhouse pictures coming soon from Marvel Studios, and will feature exclusive clips and surprise guests from a range of films including Saving Mr. Banks, Tomorrowland, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and much more.
Appearances from Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel (Frozen), Dane Cook (Disney’s Planes), Jason Schwartzman and B.J. Novak (Saving Mr. Banks), Ty Burrell (Muppets Most Wanted) and top Marvel and Disney•Pixar talent, plus surprise appearances from more of Disney fans’ favorite stars are in store for D23 Expo attendees.
In “Broadway & Beyond…Celebrating the Stars of Disney on Broadway,” Friday, August 9 at 6:30p.m., Disney Theatrical Productions President Thomas Schumacher will guide audiences on a musical journey along with a bevy of stage stars, including Heidi Blickenstaff (The Little Mermaid), Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast), Merle Dandridge (Tarzan® and AIDA), Josh Strickland (Tarzan) and Alton Fitzgerald White (The Lion King), who sing beloved songs from the award-winning musicals they starred in as well as classic tunes from the Disney on Broadway catalog.
Also, throughout the weekend fans will have the opportunity to go behind the scenes at several featured panels with the animation artists at Disney and Pixar:
- Inside the Ice: The Art of Disney’s Frozen – Walt Disney Animation Studios’ big-screen comedy adventure Frozen, with its icy setting and colorful characters, presented breathtaking opportunities, plus a few challenges for filmmakers. Join the team behind the movie for an exclusive look at the art and animation of Frozen. (Saturday, August 10, 10:30a.m.)
- The Art of The Good Dinosaur – Pixar Animation Studios’ latest feature explores what might have happened if the asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct. Take a closer look at this imaginative world of possibility and the artistry and production design behind it. (Saturday, August 10, 3:00p.m.)
- Toy Story OF TERROR! and the Motivation Behind Pixar’s Short Form Content – From toys on vacation to tow-riffic four wheelers, Pixar keeps some of their most beloved characters alive and well through short-form content. Angus MacLane, director of Toy Story OF TERROR!, a new adventure featuring Woody, Buzz and the Toy Story gang set for release on TV this fall. Producer Galyn Susman; and other Pixar short-form filmmakers share their experiences of expanding the worlds of these characters loved by audiences across the globe. (Saturday, August 10, 5:00p.m.)
- Pixar: Doing Our Homework – Research is an integral part of the filmmaking process, and with a story in hand, Pixar artists set out to become experts, immersing themselves in places, people and experiences that inspire and inform their filmmaking, whether it be spirited Scots, delectable French cuisine, or deep sea adventures. (Friday, August 9, 6:00p.m.)
- Women of Pixar – Jessie. Dory. Sally. Merida. Although they exist in different worlds, these iconic Pixar females have one thing in common: girl power. Meet a dynamic group of women from Pixar, whose experience and success at the studio have helped craft some of the most memorable animated films in recent history. They will share stories from their journeys and the lessons they have learned along the way. (Sunday, August 11, 1:00p.m.)
Expo attendees will also get admission to an Exclusive Screening of Disney’s Planes in 3D, featuring an introduction by some very special guests. (Friday, August 9, 3:00p.m.)
And, as Disney welcomes Lucasfilm into the family, fans will have a chance to immerse themselve in the Star Wars universe led by Lucasfilm’s resident authority Pablo Hidalgo with “Crash Course in the Force: Star Wars Saga 101,” a journey into the rich history of the worldwide phenomenon. (Saturday, August 10, 5:00p.m.)
Music fans won’t be left out either. They will be treated to performances by Good Luck Charlie star and platinum-selling Hollywood Records artist Bridgit Mendler, and Hollywood Records artists R5, fronted by Teen Beach Movie and Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch. D23 will also present Richard Sherman and Alan Menken, two of the world’s most celebrated songwriters and composers who have won a combined 10 Academy Awards for their work with Disney. Also, Randy Thornton, Grammy® Award-winning producer and resident Disney Music Historian, will take fans on a musical journey with inside stories of songs written for classic Disney films.
Out on the Expo floor, fans can explore the world of The Walt Disney Studios with comprehensive exhibits, including:
- Walt Disney Animation Studios Pavilion – Summon your inner artist and escape into diverse worlds of where there’s much to explore, from the stunning snow-covered setting of Frozen to the high-tech, action-packed world of Big Hero 6, featuring the latest animation technology, sneak peeks, and giveaways.
- Disneytoon Studios Pavilion – Fans of both aviation fairies will be on cloud nine as they explore projects including Disney’s Planes and immerse themselves in the world of Pixie Hollow and the magical heroines from Disney’s Fairies with exciting demonstrations and presentations.
- Walt Disney Studios In-Home Entertainment Zones – Dive into cutting-edge home entertainment technology and learn what the future holds for Disney movie fans, with sneak peeks of upcoming films in breathtaking high-definition Blu-ray 3D™, including new hit films and new-to-Blu classics, the latest on Disney Second Screen and more. Also, the adorable Disney “Buddies” are back with an all-new movie—Super Buddies—coming August 27! Fans can get a picture with one of the real puppy super heroes. They are appearing live at D23 Expo for the first time—Saturday and Sunday!
For information on tickets and the ticket pricing structure for members and general admission, visit D23Expo.com.
Of course, WDWNT will be there at the D23 Expo bring all the excitement to you, so stay tuned for coverage!
I don’t know about you, but there are times when planning a Disney vacation can be overwhelming! There are so many options, where to stay, when to go, is this the best price. So, I want to introduce you all to Cindy Minor and the team at Small World Big Fun. They will help you plan your Disney vacation for FREE. Contact them today!