PHOTOS: Scrim Removed From New Orleans Square Train Station Radio House One Year After Fire at Disneyland, Revealing No Work Has Been Done

Shannen Ace

PHOTOS: Scrim Removed From New Orleans Square Train Station Radio House One Year After Fire at Disneyland, Revealing No Work Has Been Done

Just shy of a year after the radio house at the New Orleans Square train station in Disneyland Park caught fire, scrim has been removed from around the structure. The fire broke out overnight on December 28, 2022. Construction walls, scrim, and scaffolding went up around the building before being briefly removed in January 2023, revealing some of the melted radio house roof, but the building has been covered ever since.

New Orleans Square Train Station

new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3185

The blue construction walls and scaffolding remain up around the radio house. Only the green scrim was removed, so we can see the damaged section of the roof again.

new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3187

Unfortunately, the roof is still damaged just like it was back in January. The damage is visible on the edge of the left side.

DLTrainDamage122023a
new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3188

The rest of the roof was not significantly damaged during the fire.

new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3189

This building is not accessible to guests and only acts as a set piece of the train station. It appears that Disneyland apparently decided that meant repairs weren’t pressing.

new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3191

The day after the fire last year, Disneyland Resort told the Orange County Register, “The small fire near the New Orleans Square train station caused minimal disruption and no injuries.”

new orleans train station scrim removed dec 2023 dl3190

Only two trains were running on the Disneyland Railroad for 10 months after the fire. Just last month, three trains began running again.

The New Orleans Square train station is based on a set from the 1948 Disney film “So Dear To My Heart.” Walt wanted to use the original movie set, but animator Ward Kimball did not want to return it after Walt had given it to him, so a replica was built. When the park opened in 1955, it was known as Frontierland Station as New Orleans Square was not a land yet.

The Disneyland Railroad was also then known as the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, named for the sponsor Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. It was changed to the Disneyland Railroad when the sponsorship ended in 1974.

The radio house itself was used to film the “Two Brothers” section of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland and The American Adventure at EPCOT.

For more Disneyland Resort news and info, follow Disneyland News Today on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram. For Disney Parks news worldwide, visit WDWNT.

Author

  • Shannen Ace

    Shannen has been a Disney Parks fan and lover of dogs since childhood, despite Pluto's attempt to eat Shannen's Minnie Mouse doll the first time they met. They've made up now. You can email Shannen at shannen@wdwnt.com.