RUMOR: Possible Universe of Energy Closing Date for Guardians of the Galaxy Ride at Epcot

According to cast members who work at Epcot’s Universe of Energy, they have been informed by managers of a closing date for the Ellen’s Energy Adventure attraction.

Epcot's Universe of Energy
Epcot’s Universe of Energy

If the cast members are to be believed, the attraction will shutter in January 2017 to make way for the rumored Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster attraction. The Guardians of the Galaxy ride is likely to be announced at the upcoming Destination D event by Bob Chapek according to internal rumblings at the company.

The Guardians of the Galaxy ride for Epcot was originally slated to be announced at Comic Con alongside the Mission: Breakout attraction replacing Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure. It seems as though the Epcot ride was simply not completely “green-lit” in time to make the announcement a dual one.

Do keep in mind that much of what you read above is still in the realm of rumor at this time (as is anything until finally confirmed by the Walt Disney Company), but with the rumblings growing stronger and stronger each day, it is seeming more and more likely to become a reality.

Ed Kelemen
Ed Kelemen

What part of Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow includes roller coasters?

Tim

RayMondo
Reply to  Ryan B

EPCOT: Energetic Pumpkins Officiating Tennis

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Ed Kelemen

What part of “the parks are not museums” do you not understand?

Mr. Magic
Mr. Magic
Reply to  Tom

Agree 100% bro!

WWWD ( What Would Walt Do?
WWWD ( What Would Walt Do?
Reply to  Tom

Actually, yes they are museums.

chris
chris
Reply to  Ed Kelemen

What part of this is not the 1980s anymore dont you understand

WWWD (What Would Walt Do?)
WWWD (What Would Walt Do?)
Reply to  chris

Yes it is still the 1980s and Disney needs to keep Epcot Center in the 1980s like Universal needs to keep its parks in the 1990s (get rid of HP and bring back Jaws, Kongfrontation, Nickelodeon Studios, and Back to the Future The Ride).

Brian Bauer
Reply to  Ed Kelemen

What part of EPCOT was ever an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow?

Heidi
Heidi
Reply to  Ed Kelemen

Like you, I enjoy the “edu-tainment” aspect of EPCOT & that was Walt’s original vision for the park. I’m perplexed by all the fanatics who want roller coasters so very badly…go to Universal, Sea World or Busch Gardens (they have plenty – and good ones at that!) Disney isn’t exactly known for roller coasters. But if they are putting in a coaster, I can live with that, it’s the theme that bothers me most. I don’t see how Guardians fit the Epcot motif at all. UoE needs an overhaul of some kind (& I love the ride, always have, but… Read more »

RayMondo
RayMondo
Reply to  Heidi

Walt’s original vision for the park? He never had a vision for EPCOT as a park. His original vision was for a community that was separate from the Magic Kingdom. Making it a park was a compromise once he passed away, but nothing about EPCOT was ever Walt’s vision, so don’t use that as an excuse. Also I love how you assume anyone responding to you is a troll and not just someone that doesn’t agree with your views.

Larry
Larry
Reply to  RayMondo

None of what RayMondo has any bearing on reality of the history or plan EPCOT…or what would make it much more profitable for that matter. Either way, the park needs updating and moreso, EXPANSION!

Sourgummi
Sourgummi

So sad as this is my favorite napping attraction during food and wine. While it is in serious need of an update it would have been nice to keep an energy focus. I’m concerned this new attraction will be more catered to IOA than anything Epcot related.

Brandon
Brandon
Reply to  Sourgummi

Well technically since it’s a roller coaster, it is about kinetic energy.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Sourgummi

So you would rather it remain an attraction to sleep on, than become an entertaining ride based on a successful and well received property? Ok….

B Edwards (@usuallybedwards)

Maybe they’ll announce it at New York Comic Con–an announcement for each coast’s park at each coast’s Comic Con!

Poko Pongo
Poko Pongo

thrilled! UoE always has a place in my heart, but it’s time to move on, and I love me some Guardians!

Tom
Tom

Now it’s time for the middle aged WDW fans to lament about change in the parks as if they are the only ones who go….

Warrenz1963
Warrenz1963
Reply to  Tom

I’m one of those middle age folks you’re referring to, and I personally welcome the change. Been going a long time and frankly EPCOT is boring now. It’s a theme park, not a museum. Give me something new to justify my AP!

rebeccamck
Reply to  Warrenz1963

I’m with you – I’m almost 46 and am enjoying the changes (some more than others).

Rick
Rick
Reply to  Tom

I too am a middle aged grumbler. Put it in HS. Though I do hate Millennials more than I hate guardians.

Lance
Lance
Reply to  Rick

It’s ok, Rick. Millennials hate you, too.

chris
chris

So excited. Ive been a passholder for almost two years now and living in Orlando I go to epcot once every two weeks or so. Its my fav park and I can say Ive never once have been on this ride and will be very happy to see it replaced …especially with Marvel.

rebeccamck

Considering the Disney coasters are all I can get my now-11-year-old daughter to ride (she’s tall enough for everything but still won’t ride RnRC or EE though, and nearly nothing at Universal, darn it), I welcome this addition. And I guess we might try to ride Ellen’s ride a second time in December as a family farewell. We thought it was too long and boring the first time we rode (back in 2010) but we liked the Ellen parts (“Stupid Judy.”) and will bid her adieu. At least now my kiddo knows who Bill Nye and Ellen are. That said,… Read more »

WWWD ( What Would Walt Do?)
WWWD ( What Would Walt Do?)

More BS out of the “rumor mill” that isn’t going to happen. Also GOTG is a terrible film and all DC movies are better including Batman & Robin. Joel Schumacher needs to take over Marvel and make the heroes wear suits with nipples, carry credit cards, and show close ups of their butts.

Walt would call you a tool
Walt would call you a tool

*cough* troll *cough*

WWWD (What Would Walt Do?)
WWWD (What Would Walt Do?)

Nope. I’m serious. UoE isn’t going anywhere and All DC movies are better. People are stupid these days and need to have their tastes in movies dictated to them. More why Disney needs to be run by a dictator who will kill Marvel and ruin the actors careers.

Patricia
Patricia

Glad they are changing the ride. It was boring ride. You sleep though the last half of it.

Max
Max
Reply to  Patricia

Isn’t that the point? Cool dinosaurs and a nap sounds like a good idea to me!

Mike B.
Mike B.

Assuming it will happen, I’m genuinely curious as to how it will fit in to “future world”. To this point, there has been a loose theme of science and industry, and technically still is albeit with IP (looking at you Seas). Looking at that side of the park, there is already a space themed ride, and test track, which has a rough future feel since the refurb. It wouldn’t take a huge leap of logic to conclude that they are splitting the front half into two distinct parts: future and present; or maybe technology and life? I highly doubt that… Read more »

Larry
Larry

Damnit…Can Disney open ANYTHING without closing something, or making ALL about advertising? I get they don’t hold the theme of the park, that train left long ago, but damn, everywhere is a construction zone of new marketing and sales centers (hard to call them attractions).

Disney Facts
Disney Facts
Reply to  Larry

This reminds me of the famous Walt quote “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. Now get over it fanboy, daddy needs a new polo pony.”

donhitchdc

Why not change Ellen’s Energy Andventure into a dining experience?!? Put in tables and chairs into the moveable theater cars. Let people eat and drink as they get escorted through the ride!

Emory
Emory

Epcot is no place for a guardians of the galaxy ride, if they want to build it anywhere building it in Hollywood studios, I agree that Epcot needs some updates, but I don’t believe this is the way to do it, they will be losing an iconic ride, it would be like tearing down space mountain in magic kingdom and the tower of terror in Hollywood studios

DomSenentz
DomSenentz

I agree with both sides of this story. I think that it would be bad to see Ellen go, but also think it is time for change. I think that before they get any ideas of taking Energy and Imagination down, they need to move food and wine and flower and garden from wonders of life to the abandoned parts of innoventions, and bring back life to WoL, wether it’s by tearing down the pavilion and build a new one, or if they refurb it and bring back something like body wars. But this is where WoL ties into Energy.… Read more »

scott
scott

i just went to epcot today and rode universe of energy and i gotta say that its very underwhelming the whole ride seems so dated including the 90s style of dismissing alternative sources of energy and heavily leaning on petro and coal(probally cause it was sponsered by exxon)i agree that UoE needs completely redone but not as a rollercoaster it would be awsome if they could use the classic building without demolishing it because it is so good looking but disney needs reinvent the wheel with energy and focus on alternative sourcesof energy and energy sources of tomorrow but if… Read more »