RUMOR: Magic Kingdom Security to be Restructured, Screening for Most Moving to TTC and Resort Hotels

It seems as though Disney may be trying to create a better guest flow at the entrance of the Magic Kingdom by moving the security perimeter of the park further out.

If all goes according to rumored plans, guests parking at the Transportation and Ticket Center will go through security bag check and metal detectors after they exit the parking lot trams, but before the board any monorails or a ferryboat to the park. These guests will then be able to walk directly to the Magic Kingdom turnstiles (or touch points as the kids call them these days) once disembarking at the park’s monorail station or ferryboat dock.

Supposedly, this would lead to security screening areas being added at the various monorail platforms at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Guests taking a bus or resort launch to the Magic Kingdom would still be screened just outside of the park at new checkpoints. Guests walking over from Disney’s Contemporary Resort on the small walkway between the hotel and the Magic Kingdom will also have their own checkpoint (which is already being done at select times of the day).

Disney has not yet made any comment about the changes, so they are simply in the realm of rumor for now. However, recent construction work being conducted at the Transportation and Ticket Center and at the Magic Kingdom park entrance are pointing towards the change. It is unknown when the changes would take place, if they ever do materialize.

What do you think? Would this be a positive change in your opinion?

Michelle P
Michelle P

I heard the same rumor from a boat skipper a few weeks ago when I was there. I thought, grain of salt, but if you’re also reporting the rumor, it might have legs. We shall see! :)

Fran
Fran

They need to try as the entrance to Magic is currently a mess.

WDWNT: The Conspiracy Theorist
WDWNT: The Conspiracy Theorist

No this can’t be true. Disney would NEVER do something that would increase costs to them in the name of creating a better guest experience. I’m sure the construction is for a gift shop or food stand. Or maybe it’s just a place for Bob Chapek to sit and rub his hands together while laughing manically as he sees walking $’s headed to the park.

Stop Hating On Tom
Stop Hating On Tom

The only downside to this I see is that this would make resort hopping more inconvenient.

Rachel

That was my exact thought too! Gonna make the monorail pub crawl a pain :(

Kailyn
Kailyn
Reply to  Rachel

Ooooh i would love info on this!!

Tom makes stuff up.
Tom makes stuff up.
Reply to  Kailyn

Well don’t rely on Tom if you want accurate info.

mary
mary

Good idea. Relieve the bottleneck at MK entrance and make the ferry and monorail more secure.

Progressive Music Lover

Thank goodness they are at least looking into some way to alleviate the congestion when entering the Magic Kingdom. However I still do not understand why annual pass holders are subjected to the same demeaning and embarrassing security checks that regular guest have to pass through in order to gain entry into the park. It’s rather preposterous to believe that an annual pass holder would pose any sort of threat in the parks. We are the one group that appreciates the parks more than anyone else.

Passive Agressive Pete
Passive Agressive Pete

K

Julie
Julie

You’re completely right. I mean, no one has ever committed to becoming a pilot just so they could fly into the WTC in the US or anything like that. I’m sure if AP holders were exempted from security checks that it would never, ever cross anyone’s mind to purchase an AP for a few years before doing something destructive. (And, by the way, WDW’s security checks are far less invasive than your average TSA pat-down. My husband and I are almost always “randomly selected” for the extra check, and there’s nothing demeaning about it. It’s just the way of life… Read more »

Lillian
Lillian
Reply to  Julie

Haha. Exactly​ what I was thinking.

Brent Van Zandt
Brent Van Zandt

If they had a different level of security for annual pass holders then anyone wishing to do something nefarious would just buy an annual pass. Unfortunately as heightened security measures appear to be the new norm then they should certainly redesign all of the park entrances from the ground up with security check points designed in instead of just forced into previously designed entrances and traffic patterns.

Progressive Music Lover

Have you seen the prices of an annual pass? Who in their right mind purchase an AP just so they could wreak havoc in one of the parks, when it could be done much more economically with a one day-one park pass?

Just A Guy
Just A Guy

Haha are you for real? Everyone is the same as far as security is concerned. You think a couple hundred bucks means Disney trusts you? With the billion dollar brand?? Haha again!

Pyrate
Pyrate

it’s possible for the nicest of AP holders to have a life altering even and decide to do something bad at Disney, therefore we are all treated equally .

Troll Buster
Troll Buster

Troll.

Peggy
Peggy

Demeaning and embarrassing? …And a would-be terrorist would never purchase an AP to avoid bag check if that were available. I am AP and DVC and married to a cast member and I’ve never felt demeaned.

Reply to  Peggy

Stacey
Stacey

I’m a single mom of two with one child in a wheelchair at WDW and I had to walk through the “unnecessary security screening” and while I was annoyed by it, it’s certainly not demeaning or embarrassing. I mean if your husband get embarrassed that easily then he probably should travel out and about.

Aggressive Music Lover
Aggressive Music Lover

I think we’ve all had enough of your hyperbole and retelling of vague incidents that always seem to happen to your partner. You can just stop commenting now. Thanks for your input.

The Management
The Management

We kindly request that you please refrain from all feeding of trolls. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

The Voice of Reason
The Voice of Reason

Honestly, it may be time to start requiring e-mail verification before allowing posts. Every large message board has this kind of process to help curtail trolling. As funny as the random usernames and petty fighting can be, it’s really not doing much to help WDWNT (apart from filling the hopper for Psychotic Comments). Most of the deep rabbit holes end up having absolutely nothing to do with the article and/or Disney.

Progressive Disney Music Pete Lover
Progressive Disney Music Pete Lover

Well maybe he shouldn’t have been wearing a shirt that said I’m da bomb and I’m going to have a blast at Disney World.

Truthteller
Truthteller

“Two swarthy looking gentlemen”??? Maybe security was looking for racists that day, seems like they got it right with you, “Progressive” music lover.

Ryan B
Ryan B

“Well obviously you weren’t at the Magic Kingdom when my partner was forced to go through the unnecessary security screening as I watched two swarthy looking gentlemen stroll right into the park bypassing Security.”

Never happened.

Ian
Ian

So a terrorist would not think to buy a annual pass, it’s stupid people like you that makes easier for these cowards, thank god people like you are not in charge of security

MagikMakkerrr
MagikMakkerrr

This will put me over the edge…what is next stroller parking??!!

Tom
Tom

How would they handle walkers from the Contemporary they would bypass both.

James
James
Reply to  Tom

As the story above says, there would be a security checkpoint on the walkway from the hotel to the resort.

Donna
Donna

I think it would definitely help the flow…and if there was a danger…there would be less injuries if something happened…

Dis Pete
Dis Pete

Thats a pretty damn stupid idea. It incoveniences guests who are just resort hopping. There is no limit to Disney’s continued demise. Oh wait, there is. Total demise.

Just A Guy Again
Just A Guy Again
Reply to  Dis Pete

Sorting out tens of thousands of guests and their MK experience every day is going to trump resort hopping every time.

Show us on the doll where Disney touched you, Pete.
Show us on the doll where Disney touched you, Pete.
Reply to  Dis Pete

And yet day in and day out, you are here, on a Disney World News site, commenting.

I’m sure when everyone looks at this, they certainly see Disney as the pathetic shut-in who spends his day whining about something he could easily give up, and not yourself.

Jess
Jess

I hope Disney will start with this ASAP as the entrance to Magic is a mess.

Priscilla Sayward

I think it is a good idea. Will.cut down on the bottlenecks at Park entrances. When at WDW a couple of weeks ago, they were “herding” people coming off buses into a place near Guest Services for security and had blocked off the hill going down near boat landings. People coming from boat landings were “herded” into usual security checkpoints. Seemed to help alleviate gestion.

stevenw
stevenw

Well for the love of God finally. Having the metal detectors right on top of the entrance was like no security at all. Anyone familiar with site security knows you have to have a significant amount of distance between your screening area and the area you are trying to protect or you have no reaction time at all.

Melimel
Melimel

I think this would work better. I think it’s a good idea to screen guests before loading them on the river boat to Magic Kingdom or boarding monorail.

Frankie
Frankie

Definitely an improvement for entering the park, not to mention better security for the monorail.

ashley
ashley

I hope so! it took us almost 30 mins to get through the entrance of MK in February!! the bag check and the metal detectors were beyond jammed.

Gregory
Gregory

This is true. I’m a Park Greeter and share a break room with security haha

Pixie
Pixie

It seems lije they are trying to add security to the transportation under the guise of guest services as to not cause guest worrying.

Cheryl
Cheryl

I thought I saw a scanner at the contemporary walkway right at the end of the walkway before Mk. This would explain why

Peggy
Peggy

Here’s the deal, people. This project is to put security first, not the speed at which you can enter the MK. The new security measures are to prevent acts of violence on the monorails and boat from the TTC, just as you have to go through security before boarding the monorail at Epcot. Eventually, there will be security at all resort bus boarding areas as well. As it is now, a terrorist could take out more guests at one time on the monorail or a bus than they could inside a park. These are security measures, not congestion alleviation measures.… Read more »

Reply to  Peggy

You fool, obviously you have never noticed the numerous busses and monorails filled to capacity roaming throughout the Disney property in open unsecured areas. The security screening areas do nothing except humiliate those that are singled out for the overly intrusive scrutiny and to boost the the egos of the facists that revel in pushing other people around.

Stacey
Stacey

I suppose there shouldn’t be security at the airports, banks, borders or anywhere either right, because we live in a world that is all love, joy and peace?!?

Peggy
Peggy

Fascists who push others around? And you call me a fool? Ha. No one is singled out. EVERYONE goes through metal detectors. It has obviously been a long time since you’ve been to Disney. You need to get out more. Disney isn’t the only place doing this. You misspelled fascists by the way.

Reply to  Peggy

Typical nasty Trump voter.

Typical Nasty Trump Voter
Typical Nasty Trump Voter

Boom, there it is! This guy has nothing to back up his remarks, other than vague and exaggerated anecdotes… so he jumps to the noun de jour (fascist) and then follows up with the ever so eloquent “Typical Nasty Trump Voter.”

Your partner must be so proud.

Reply to  Peggy

You dolt…..I was there March 16th!!!

Ralph
Ralph

Peggy very intelligently pointed out that the issues you are speaking of, monorail and buses, will be eliminated with the new procedures. as for the screening humiliating people, I thank you for pointing that out. I go to WDW several times a week and almost always get screened. I’ve already been screened at 4 parks in one day. I never realized I should feel humiliated/ Silly me I was thankful that they are trying to keep us safe.