In this week’s edition of ‘This Week in Disney History’, we will explore some of the milestones from April 2nd-April 8th that helped shape and form the Walt Disney Company as it exists today.
This Week in Disney History: April 2nd- April 8th
- On April 2nd, 2007, the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor opens to the public in Tommorowland at Magic Kingdom.
- On April, 3rd, 2006, in honor of the Disneyland Resort’s 50th Anniversary, a 100 ft. tall hot air balloon in the shape of Mickey Mouse is flown over the State of Arizona. The balloon is called the “Happiest Balloon on Earth.” With golden ears atop the balloon, the Mickey Mouse shaped balloon makes an 11 week journey across the Western United States and Canada.
- On April 4th, 1932, Estelle Harris, the voice of Mrs. Potato Head from Toy Story 2 and 3, is born in New York City. She is also the voice of Mrs. Turtle in House of Mouse, and Mrs. Lipsky in Kim Possible.
- On April 5th, 1965, the iconic Julie Andrews wins an Oscar at the 37th annual Oscars for Best Actress in her role of Mary Poppins. In all, the film is nominated for 13 Oscars while winning 5.
- OnApril 6, 2007, The Gran Fiesta Tour starring the Three Caballeros!, opens to the public, replacing El Rio de Tiempo in the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot.
- On April 7th, 1995, Disney’s “A Goofy Movie” is released into theaters.
- Finally, On April 8th, the Broadway hit, ‘Beauty and the Beast’ makes its 4,500th performance!
I hope you have enjoyed all of these amazing facts this week, and I look forward to sharing more with you next week.
“To the youngsters of today, I say believe in the future, the world is getting better; there is still plenty of opportunity.” – Walt Disney