Disney is Surveying Epcot Guests About Figment, May Impact Character's Future in Park Overhaul

Disney is Surveying Epcot Guests About Figment, May Impact Character’s Future in Park Overhaul

General park surveys at Walt Disney World aren’t uncommon, in fact, you’ll see Disney research cast members out and about on the daily recruiting guests to take these upon their return home. Interestingly enough, the general surveys about Epcot that guests are receiving now include a questionnaire about the park’s mascot, Figment.

Images courtesy of @MainStreetNorth on twitter
Images courtesy of @MainStreetNorth on twitter

Figment is a character who dates back to the earliest days of the park and the original Journey Into Imagination attraction, which operated from 1983 until 1998. When the replacement attraction opened in 1999 with little to no Figment (and was also the worst thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life), thousands of guests complained that he was gone (and that the ride was a piece of garbage). The requests were so numerous that Disney was forced to close the attraction only 2 years later and overhaul it to add Figment back in 2002. Sadly, this wasn’t a vast improvement, and now Journey Into Imagination with Figment is just months away from somehow outliving the 15.5 year run of the original attraction, which was often considered the by fans to be the greatest theme park ride ever built.

Of course, Bob Chapek officially announced that Disney Imagineers are hard at work at a plan to conduct a massive overhaul of the park, one that would likely include a replacement or update of the current Imagination pavilion, home to Figment. Sadly, it seems as though Figment could find himself without an attraction again if he doesn’t prove that he is still relevant to most park guests. Rumors have persisted that an IP-based attraction will replace the Imagination pavilion, but we won’t know for sure until Disney makes some sort of announcement, possibly at the D23 Expo in July.

What do you think? Does Figment need to have a ride at Epcot, or can he just be the park’s mascot?

Author

alex brueningsen
alex brueningsen

I hope this means they want to change him around, not remove him from the parks as a whole.

Jeff
Jeff

Agree Alex, I hope when they re do Epcot that don’t forget about Figment. His message is fantastic for kids and families.

WinT
WinT

Just put Figment in a small exhibit or playground. They don’t need him in a major ride. How about a minor ride? A dark Fantasyland style ride with limited capacity will fill the need.

Frank
Frank

The original Figment attraction was one one the best of its era. Along w Horizons and World of Motion.
I’d love to see it brought back in some modern version.

Wesley Alexander
Wesley Alexander
Reply to  Frank

Why not combine the best features of two of these great attractions into one – Imagining Horizons. Epcot has lost its way over the last decade or so. Some of old iconic rides need to be brought back and updated. Others such as 20,,000 Leagues and Journey to the Center of the Earth could bring the added excitement and fun that this park lacks.

Joey
Joey

I LOVE Figment. He’s one of my favorites. The original ride was amazing. The current version, while still fun is not as good as the original. Would love to see something new with Figment playing a bigger role. Getting a better Animatronic rendering.

Mark Pascuzzi
Mark Pascuzzi

Bring back an updated Steampunk version similar to the original ride, as well as Dreamfinder. He needs to stay on the ride.

Lisa
Lisa

Bring back the original ride, updated with newest technology. The world needs imagination and I would dearly miss Figment.

Melanie
Melanie

I sincerely hope they improve Figment’s situation. It is time for a new ride and a new building for him. He IS the beloved mascot of Epcot and my favorite character!

Pam
Pam

The original attraction was the best. Of the few things in EPCOT for children this was the best, but it was also great for the inner child in adults. I went on what replaced the original once and only once. When friends or family tell me they are going to Disney World and they children and grandchildren are excited to see Figment, I explain the differences and do not recommend this attraction as one to spend their time on. It would be great if the original attraction were put back and this dull, boring time robber done away with.

Sheryle
Sheryle

Save Figment!!

Rachel
Rachel

Is there a link to this survey? I’d love to leave my opinion. It would be so wonderful if they brought back the orignal ride. It was my favorite as a child.

Tom
Tom

I have a figment stuffed animal that I got from Epcot when I was a kid, my brother has one also. We still have them to this day likely around 25-30 years later. I doubt anyone is buying Figment merchandise these days

Matthew
Matthew
Reply to  Tom

Figment merchandise has seen an increase in sales, he’s wildly popular

Dan
Dan

I don’t believe they will ever come back with the original Imagination ride, but it’s time to let the Imagineers take over and redo the whole pavilion, WITH Figment and Dreamfinder. In my opinion this has been the most missed opportunity for Epcot. And while they are at it, open up a path out of the back towards World Showcase. This will help increase traffic flow by the Imagination pavilion.

Sue
Sue

I really love Figment. One of the must see attractions at Epcot. Something for the whole family to enjoy together. Miss Dreamfinder.

Miss Horizons and World of Motion. I know these won’t be brought back. Please, no more “take over” by movie characters.

Linda
Linda

I loved the original Figment. I loved that he was a Figment “of your imagination”! It’s become a mess of it’s original self. The ride used to remind children and those of us not children, to use your imagination! I feel like in this virtual world, we are loosing the creativity of using our imagination. Bring imagination back to the Imagination Pavillion!

ginny kershaw
ginny kershaw

I love FIGMENT maybe a facelift of the attraction but without him there is NO IMAGINATION…or a little spark to light the candle…please save FIGMENT

Debbi Stamey
Debbi Stamey

The original Journey into Imagination was our daughter’s favorite when she was young (mid-80’s.) We have photos of her and The Dreamfinder with Figment. In fact, she preferred EPCOT to the Magic Kingdom. We love Figment, but the attraction is boring now.

Veronica Shine

I hope that the survey is available upon my arrival in the next 2 weeks. I have seen all three variations and the original with the Jules Verne-like ‘Dream-Maker’ character and Figment was my favorite version.

Mike M.
Mike M.
Reply to  Veronica Shine

Amen to that! I loved the original and so did my son. He was about 4 or 5 and he just loved Figment & the whole pavilion that I bought him a plush Figment that he slept with for years! Heck, he still may for all I know & he’s almost 40! LOL

David Bell
David Bell
Reply to  Veronica Shine

It was Dreamfinder, not Dream-Maker

Lillian
Lillian

What’s old is new again. Tiki’s birds came back, maybe journey into imagination call too. It needs something and why not share it again 20 years later both for the fans and for the new generation.

Laura
Laura

I want to take the survey! I love Figment! He’s been the mascot for EPCOT since the beginning. They can’t get rid of him!

Amy
Amy

I HATE that attraction. It’s so incredibly dated and just plain awful. Most of Epcot is. My kids were so disappointed. The only area we liked at all was the World Showcase. We won’t be back to that Park until it’s overhauled.