Cast Members Now Allowed Necklaces and Longer Beards with Updated “Disney Look” Appearance Standards at Parks and Resorts

Since the very start of the company, Disney has upheld very strict appearance standards for its staff, known as cast members, regardless of what position they held. This came to be known as the “Disney Look”, which upheld that all cast members should have a “friendly, classic appearance” devoid of any extreme styles. In fact, here’s a blurb from the Disney Careers page:

At Disney Parks and Resorts, we’ve become famous for our friendly, classic appearance. This look is not a coincidence, but a result of our cast members’ support of the Appearance Standards, or as we call it, the Disney Look.

The Disney Look is a classic look that is clean, natural, polished and professional, and avoids “cutting edge” trends or extreme styles. It is designed with our costumed and non-costumed cast members in mind. Our themed costumed cast members are a critical part of enhancing the experience of our Disney show, and our non-costumed cast members also play an important role as representatives of the Disney brand. Regardless of the position you hold with us, when you take pride in your appearance, you become a role model for those around you, and you convey the attitude of excellence that has become synonymous with the Disney name.

Now it appears that these rules may be becoming more lax to accommodate for more modern styles.

Starting October 28th, cast members will now be able to wear a single bracelet and a single necklace. Previously, necklaces and bracelets were not permitted, with cast members only having the option to wear rings, earrings, and a classic business-style wristwatch.

Cast members looking to grow their facial hair can now do so up to an inch, with visible stubble now allowed during the grow-out process. Previous rules stated that facial hair was limited to a quarter inch, and beard growth had to be done while the employee was on vacation. Back in the ’50s, all cast members had to be clean shaven.

How do you feel about these new changes? Is the classic “Disney Look” part of your parks and resorts experience, or should the rules be updated to accommodate more modern styles? Let us know in the comments!

Giwreh
Giwreh
8 months ago

It became time… probably an offspring of the employees’ lawsuit (which they won) against Disney, Paris 1991

aaron c
aaron c
8 months ago

It is disturbing the amount of changes Disney is making that are fading away from traditional Walt Disney. Sad really 😔😔

Gary
Gary
Reply to  aaron c

I guess everyone who did not like what you said does not like Walt’s vision & don’t care about Walt’s, Lilian’s (Lilly) & Roy’s legacy. There are a lot more of us who approve of what Walt wanted.

Joseph
Joseph
7 months ago
Reply to  Gary

It’s not even that radical of a change. I think it’s silly to get upset over new ideas that come from younger mindsets. Many cast members want to express themselves in a way that does not align with “tradition” and have wanted to for many years. I say let’s evolve with the world, not cry about days gone by.

Jason Lipman
Jason Lipman
8 months ago

I like the classic clean look. As Disney continue to change, they are becoming more and more like other theme parks. They are loosing the touches / experience that made Disney “Disney”.

Emus
Reply to  Jason Lipman

I agree with you. I was a cast member for almost 10 years when I was younger and these changes are startling me. Little by little they are losing the Magic.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Jason Lipman

oh my god lol, cry me a river. I can assure you no matter the changes, you’ll still come to the park and find something to upset your life ya baby…

Jay
Jay
6 months ago
Reply to  Marie

Absolutely send appallingly rude you are.

Randyland
Randyland
8 months ago

The Disney look is as much a part of the experience as the Castle… Extremely short hair on guys is not necessary, HOWEVER, it depends on the look. Once the facial hair was permitted, the Disney “look” went out the window… I will never accept a Cast Member with a mustash or beard… A few years ago, i passed through security check, and i stopped dead in my tracks when i saw a Cast Member with long dreadlocks braids down his back…!! I stepped back to him and asked if this was allowed now, and he said yes; adding that… Read more »

Avery
Avery
Reply to  Randyland

This is yikes.

JustJessee
JustJessee
Reply to  Randyland

That was some of the least Disney Spirited things I’ve read in a while. In the words of Elsa, let it go. It sounds like you’re holding on so tight to something that it’s wound up strangling something in you.

DarthOswin
DarthOswin
Reply to  JustJessee

Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.

Jay
Jay
6 months ago
Reply to  JustJessee

Perhaps you should Let It Go and accept the fact not everyone agrees with this nonsense of having to change every little thing.

Will
Will
Reply to  Randyland

I’m a cast member and some of your information is not quite correct. Independant contractors are not and have never been beholden to “the Disney look”. Before I was a cast member I worked for a participating partner that worked on Disney property and I had shoulder length hair and a long beard. I do agree with you about cast member standards, though. As a cast member I have always been clean shaven with moderately short hair.

Sammy
Sammy
Reply to  Randyland

You sir are a moron, I’m a former CM and so you are equating being a CM to being “in the service” UM WHAT? A CM job is that, it’s a job at the end of the day (a job I absolutely loved, but a job nonetheless), I didn’t sign a contract with Disney for the next 4 years of my life. I adhered to Disney look because it comes across as professional but I can’t shave every day or else my I have constant pain from razor bumps and the like so I have a fully grown-in beard that… Read more »

Jay
Jay
6 months ago
Reply to  Sammy

It sounds like you’re a former cast member for a reason. If you don’t like the standards, don’t work there. The standards are in place for a reason and these changes are not for the better. This is lazy complacency.

Robin Grant
Robin Grant
Reply to  Randyland

Now Disney pays crappy wages and struggles to get people hired. The pickings are getting slimmer. If you want employees at a higher standard, pay a living wage.

Reply to  Robin Grant

Robin, disney pays really well nowadays. They are hiring people all the time. I see them everyday getting off the bus for orientation as well.

15$ an hr is starting pay for majority of the jobs offered and go up yearly and with more experience.

Starting pay for chef assistant is 18$ an hr. Cooks 16 per hr, and so on and so forth.

A lot of people chiming in and some of yall are full of untrustworthy information.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Yoda

It’s $10 an hour currently, set to go to $15 in 2021.

Reply to  Tom Corless

Sorry i meant to say *majority of the culinary jobs*

DisneyCM042
DisneyCM042
Reply to  Tom Corless

My role paid 15 cents over the minimum amount cast members were paid when I left the company last January and I believe I made $11.50 or more. Soon, the role I had will pay $13, then $15 in 2021

PS. I love your articles, Tom!

Jordan
Jordan
Reply to  Tom Corless

It’s $13 currently, set to go up to to 14 next October, then $15 in October 2021

Kenny
Kenny
Reply to  Yoda

When they cut hours after giving any raises it literally negates the raise. They pay well but you won’t be seeing almost any CM getting 40 a week anymore.

Jane
Jane
Reply to  Yoda

if you’re a cast member you would know that the amount that they get paid is not enough for what they do and the way they are treated by guest. Especially with most who have experience and yet get paid only $16 I think the wage should be better and Disney Can do better for their cast.

Anon CM
Anon CM
Reply to  Yoda

I’m a new cast member and I make about $2000 a month working custodial. It seems like the pay is pretty good to me.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Anon CM

How many hours a week is that?

Anon CM
Anon CM
Reply to  Tom Corless

Full time. 40.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Anon CM

They’re paying north of $14 an hour for custodial now?

Previous WDW CM
Previous WDW CM
Reply to  Tom Corless

No, as a previous Custodian at the Magic Kingdom I can tell you they do not pay north of $14 an hour for custodial. That is Coordinator and above pay until they keep adding to the wage. But an above comment is correct that the more the wages have gone up, the lower the hours have gotten. Certain part-timers don’t get scheduled period anymore. And getting full-time is like a war within the company. Very, very difficult and very competitive.

Disney CM 007
Disney CM 007
Reply to  Anon CM

I don’t even make that in security for Disney… are you sure? (Talking about take-home money right?)

Concerned CM
Concerned CM
Reply to  Yoda

“Starting wage is $15”… gtfo dude. I’m a CM and that is not even near accurate.

Reply to  Concerned CM

Concerned CM, its not inaccurate?
Maybe for YOU, BUT if you go and REREAD, i said CULINARY. I started at 18 an hr for chef assistant, cook 1 starts at 16 an hr.

ignore yoda
ignore yoda
Reply to  Yoda

No, you did not say culinary. You said, copy and pasted, “15$ an hr is starting pay for majority of the jobs offered and go up yearly and with more experience” then said everyone else was spreading false info. Well here’s correct info from someone who just left the company 3 weeks ago: $15 is NOT starting pay until 2021 and the wage increase is meaningless as hours get cut more and more significantly. Why do you think locations are now significantly understaffed, the parks and bathrooms are dirtier, and the attractions break down more often than ever? Plus, you… Read more »

Reply to  ignore yoda

Butthurt CM, You really got butthurt over something i never said and assumed a lot. If you go back and reread the thread of comments, i corrected myself and said, culinary.

But way to go assuming i said or meant frontline anyone.

Reply to  ignore yoda

And pay for culinary does go up yearly on a particular day in october because of the Union. You are just mad JUST to be mad.

Athecheat
Athecheat
Reply to  Concerned CM

In Disney Anaheim it is the starting pay.

Reply to  Randyland

Dreads are a part of religious beliefs btw, also, corn rows is also considered part of the disney look as long as they are straight back and dont touch the shoulders. If you have never worked for Disney within the last 5 to 10 years, your opinion is invalid. You would know that Disney is constantly changing to fit the ever evolving world around us. I was in the Army and a cast member (third party and i have hair down to the middle of my back) and the standards compared to being a cast member are not even in… Read more »

Cast Member
Cast Member
Reply to  Randyland

You’re gross, Randy. Please stop coming to Disney. We don’t need guests like you.

Wolf97
Wolf97
Reply to  Cast Member

Completely unnecessary

CoDy
CoDy
Reply to  Randyland

Sounds like your the troll! Disgusting!

David
David
Reply to  Randyland

You mean like Walt Disney himself ?

Tristian
Tristian
Reply to  Randyland

Shut up baby boomer. No one cares about your outdated opinions and narcissistic attitude.

Joseph
Joseph
7 months ago
Reply to  Randyland

You’re a disgrace to this fan base.

Darcy
Darcy
8 months ago

I prefer the classic Disney Look and appreciate their high standards. If you want to dress however you want go work at Six Flags.

Mike
Mike
Reply to  Darcy

Unbeknownst to you, you can’t dress however you want at Six Flags.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Darcy

okay please dont buy annual passes anymore and stop coming if a freaking beard bothers you lol. I can’t imagine being so sad…

Clemen
Clemen
8 months ago

They have to update to allow clean and nicely well done dreadlocks. But , when?
Universal Studios already gave that step ahead.

Sophia
Sophia
Reply to  Clemen

One of my coworkers had dreadlocks and nobody told her anything

Charlie
Charlie
8 months ago

I think Walt Disney is turning in his grave. I personally don’t care for it a lot of the men that have facial hair don’t keep it clean or neatly cut. And for the women well the finger nail polish Walt is also turning in his grave, I’ve seen some colors that would have been used back in the days it had to be neutral. Call me old fashion but I like that.

Jessica Messica
Jessica Messica
Reply to  Charlie

Nail polish is that upsetting?

Michael Howard
Michael Howard
8 months ago

Get out of my head. The whole ‘Walts turning over in his grave’ is tired and mundane.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Charlie

I promise you, Walt doesn’t care. He would have hated you though…

Ihateboomers
Ihateboomers
Reply to  Marie

Walt would care more about the terrible treatment of so many Cast members then he would stubble.

Britton
Britton
Reply to  Charlie

I didn’t know Walt Disney personally, but he was an artist. Have you met artists? Have you seen some of the Disney imagineers? As an artist, I can tell you, we enjoy expressing ourselves in many ways, including our personal image. When he was alive times were very different. I’d be curious of what he would think now. I can tell you one thing though, from everything I’ve heard of him, he was a great and kind man. I don’t think allowing facial hair or nail polish would upset him.

crystal
crystal
Reply to  Britton

I remember a time when guests were denied entry because of long hair, mows, beards and their cloths … Their was even a barber shop near the front of the park to get a haircut and a shave for those denied entry so they could enter.

And for Disney people either fans or CM’s man their is a lot of hate in this threads comments.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Charlie

Every time someone writes the phrase “Walt is turning in his grave,” Walt, Roy and Lillian all turn in their graves…and quite possibly Ub, Fess and Annette also. Walt was also a fan of good writing and proper punctuation, so he definitely wouldn’t have hired you if you turned in a résumé that looked like your post above.

Arcanis
Arcanis
Reply to  Charlie

Walt is dead, therefore, his opinion is no longer of importance

Stephen
Stephen
8 months ago

The Disney look hasnt been enforced by leadership in over a year. I’ve never seen so many cast members chewing gum, leaning, hands in pockets and talking to each other while ignoring the guests. Total breakdown by the managers.

Elise
Elise
8 months ago

It makes me really sad that people are upset by this. A necklace and bracelet is not going away from Disney look. Facial hair still has to be cleaned and groomed. Cast members are people too.

Nate
Nate
Reply to  Elise

Facial hair has to be cleaned and groomed but will they actually enforce it? I doubt it.

Adam
Adam
Reply to  Nate

You can keep living in your own negative fantasy world but Disney Look is actually very highly enforced behind the scenes. People received notations on their record card very frequently for small things including socks being too short or white instead of black, etc. I actually witnessed a full-time employee get sent home with no promise for pay for that day upon the start of her shift because her hair color was no longer up to Disney Look standards (for context, full-timers are cut a lot more slack because usually they’ve had to significantly work their way up to being… Read more »

Jessica Messica
Jessica Messica
8 months ago

As a former CM, I never found the dress code all that difficult to follow. I did miss wearing nail polish, but it wasn’t like it was a huge sacrifice. If I did want to paint my nails for a special occasion, I would wait until the day of and then remove it the night before my next shift.

Sean
Sean
8 months ago

I think this is great!! Since I am a cast member I will be delighted that I no longer need to shave every single day and give myself razor burn or heat bumps. Facial hair has been allowed but those that want to grow out a beard could not do so, because who can grow a full beard in a week, and who is able to take more than a week off at disney? What disney cast member has that much vacation? I think this is a great improvement on disney look!

Hilly
Hilly
8 months ago

This is completely unrelated to all of the negative comments regarding all the changes WDW is making is causing the decline of the parks. Nope! I can completely understand that people associate the “Disney Look” with WDW 20 years ago, but a company has to change with the times (which includes flexibility on some of these old standards) or else you won’t attract the best employees to want to work in your park. There aren’t many successful companies out there maintaining the exact same set of standards that they did 30 years ago.

Doug
Doug
Reply to  Hilly

Good point, Hilly. If Walt Disney had never changed, we wouldn’t have Mickey Mouse, Disneyland, or Disney World.

Georgia R.
Georgia R.
8 months ago

Personal opinion here, both male and females can pull off necklaces. So a single necklace for each gender I can understand. A bracelet might be to dangly and become a distraction for the cast member and/or guest. Bracelets are not a good idea. As for facial hair, since only males can grow it, how is that fair to the females? Also, I find any male with facial hair, no matter how well kept, dirty looking and hot. So out of the three, there is only one that has my vote and that is for NECKLACES. Get rid of bracelets and… Read more »

Jessica Messica
Jessica Messica
Reply to  Georgia R.

There are some tight bracelets, although I do agree that people in food service or those operating machinery should not wear them. I always have a hair tie or 2 on my wrist. In Florida humidity, it’s always nice to have the option to put your hair up. But Disney counted a neutral brown ponytail holder as a “bracelet”.

Awesome Amy
Awesome Amy
Reply to  Georgia R.

I also find men with facial hair “dirty-looking” and “hot” but probably not for the same reasons you do…
If it’s clean and well-managed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with facial hair on men.
As for how is it fair to females? Who cares! They ain’t got it, they ain’t gotta worry about it.

Amy
Amy
Reply to  Georgia R.

I mean, Walt himself wore a mustache. Not all men can grow facial hair and many women have to fight it. There are also men who cannot shave every day due to skin sensitivity. Fairness isn’t the issue here. If a cast member is working in a job where a loose bracelet would be a safety issue, I’m sure that will be addressed. But “distracting”? Trim beards and minimal jewelry are considered appropriate and professional in the modern world. If Disney never adjusted their dress codes, men would still be in ties and women in pantyhose. There’s nothing remotely wrong… Read more »

Rowan
Rowan
Reply to  Amy

As a cast member who worked somewhere with machinery (embroidery sewing machines), I can assure you management told us multiple times that we were not allowed to have anything loose fitting/dangly while working in that area/at those stations. They took it super serious during training; if we had long hair it had to be secured/tied back as not to get caught in the machines. Also, as a CM who worked in a food service adjacent area, we were not allowed to wear rings, watches, nor fingernail polish. Both of these things were checked by management regularly and enforced strictly. If… Read more »

Groucho
Groucho
Reply to  Georgia R.

Disney doesn’t read fan run unofficial “news” blogs.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Groucho

I can tell you with certainty that they do lol

newty
newty
Reply to  Georgia R.

So females can’t grow beards Men shouldn’t be allowed to? That’s some hot take there Georgia.

Curt
Curt
Reply to  Georgia R.

Women can wear skirts…how is that fair to men? Regardless of that, trust me, I have seen plenty of women grow facial hair.

Jessica Messica
Jessica Messica
Reply to  Curt

No one is stopping you from wearing a skirt

Luis E Garcia
Luis E Garcia
Reply to  Georgia R.

Girls wear tons of makeup. How is that fair for males?

Mitchell
Mitchell
Reply to  Luis E Garcia

Poor Luis is just so fragile.

Moq
Moq
7 months ago
Reply to  Luis E Garcia

No one is stopping you from wearing makeup, Luis.

sean
sean
7 months ago
Reply to  Georgia R.

Honestly I think you need to look at it another way, if being able to have facial hair is not fair to females, then what about ear piercings? men cant have those. Men also cant have nail polish, while we are talking about it men also can not have the extreme hair styles that women can….sooooo i think a being able to grow a beard is fair.

Ashley
Ashley
8 months ago

I speak from my opinion alone. As a cast member we do have a lot of standards to uphold. I read a comment that said it’s a lot like being in the Army, the exact words stated “We are in Service, but they are wrong. It’s nothing even close to that. We want to be there. Most of us want to be a part of the magic and the memories that Disney creates. The behavior standards are still the same and still hold us to the highest regard. An appearance does not define a person. I personally have always had… Read more »

Claudia
Claudia
8 months ago

I’m not a fan of the changes. The necklace is fine. Most CMs wear them anyway, they’re just covered. The beards as it is some of them are scraggly looking now. Now they can have it longer?

Bob in Toledo
Bob in Toledo
8 months ago

How dare you Disney, keeping up with the world. We need to go back when men went to work and women stay in the kitchen. CURSE YOU BOB CHAPEK!!!!

Dianna Shaw
Dianna Shaw
8 months ago

I like it! A little individualism within the “classic look” parameters helps create a more inclusive atmosphere for everyone. When I visit, I expect happy, helpful, knowledgeable cast members – I truly don’t care if they wear jewelry or have facial hair as long as they help create the Disney magic.

Michael
Michael
8 months ago

Would rather have workers have a clean look… No beards..

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Michael

Then dont come anymore…

Michael
Michael
8 months ago

Oh and the workers are much more sassy than in the past… But that is probably accepted now too…

Mickey Mouse
Mickey Mouse
Reply to  Michael

They’re probably sassier because people don’t like to listen to the rules just because people pay for an annual pass or a ticket that doesn’t mean you’re the owner of the park you still have to follow the rules that managers tell the cast members to push onto the guest but not all guest listen and I’m quit sure you have children the. You should understand the frustration of dealing with children who don’t listen.

Randy
Randy
Reply to  Michael

Eh. If a guest comes at me hot headed and cussing and screaming. I’m holding my ground. Ain’t no one got the right to belittle others like some guests do.

No one cares
No one cares
Reply to  Michael

and guest are being ahole’s now but hey i guess thats accepted now too. hey Mikey do us a favor get the heck out

newty
newty
Reply to  Michael

Yeah much more sassy IE: we respond now instead of rewarding bad behavior with an Ice Cream Bar :)

Joseph
Joseph
7 months ago
Reply to  Michael

You must be a real treat…

John aimar
John aimar
8 months ago

Men should be allow to twist their hair instead of the breading only. Why only those whom beard can reach the mustache are allow to have beard??? Disney have a lot of changes bt they are for a very specific group of ppl. Like the beard thing it’s either you allow everyone to have beard or not at all. Limitations to certain ppl is not roght we all different. Some of us have a lot ofnhair some don’t.