Cast Members Can Choose Between Disney+ Package or Theme Park Main Entrance Pass Starting January 2020

In an effort to get more Disney+ subscribers, Disney is offering a new set of perks to Walt Disney Company Cast Members.

Starting in January 2020, Cast Members will have the option to pick between the Disney Parks Main Entrance Pass that is given to most Cast Members or a full Disney+ bundle package, which includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu.

The Disney Parks Main Entrance Pass grants Cast Members the ability to take family members and friends to the theme parks for free, with some blockout dates and restrictions. Regardless of what perk they opt for, Cast Members will continue to receive a limited number of complimentary park tickets each year. They will also still receive self-admission to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort parks, as well as the usual discounts offered to Cast.

What do you think of the new perk options?

Eduardo
Eduardo
7 months ago

Next up: if you stay at a WDW hotel you get Disney+

Randy senna
Randy senna
7 months ago

To give the Cast Members a a Disney + package would be a nice thing to do…

To take away something in return takes away the gesture…

Are Cast Members not worth enough for BOTH?

This kind of thinking creates bad will instead of good will.

Kelley
Kelley
Reply to  Randy senna

I use to be a cast member and i feel it is a slap on the face to do that to cast members. Cast members have to put up with a lot of crap from guests and now they are getting it from Disney. I am very disappointed in Disney right now. I use to be a big fan of Disney and now after i have worked for Disney I lost some of the magic

Krystiniamarie Hayden
Krystiniamarie Hayden
Reply to  Kelley

Plus the no selling or bartering for services rule. How many people have lost their pension because Disney jumps the gun on perceived selling? I heard of people gifting comp tickets and finding out the person they gifted to sold them and Disney made examples of them firing them. Also non cast members in the same household tries to make profit without your knowledge asking to get their friends in? But they are breaking their own protocol and giving a choice give up that maingate for a service. Shame on Disney.

DLK
DLK
7 months ago

That is an excellent point

Ed Vaira
Ed Vaira
7 months ago

I’d still take the Main Entrance Pass, unless I had no one else in my life that would be able to use it, even once…The year’s free service only has a value of about $130…the passes would be worth more than that even if theyre only used once a year

M. M. (Intialed for privacy)
M. M. (Intialed for privacy)
Reply to  Ed Vaira

Literally ONE (of the three potential tickets for the day) costs more than one year of Disney+. And they want to take away all 16 days we get (which is 48 people/tickets)!!!

As a cast member I am insulted and this is direct proof that the white collar executives are out of touch and care nothing about what we do. They will do anything to reduce employees including eliminating photographers for robots because “how hard can it be to take a silly picture” /s.

The only way to fix this is for Iger to retire and for Chapek to resign.

Dollars and Cents
Dollars and Cents
7 months ago

The Disney+ bundle costs $12.99/month, which is just about $156/year. That’s less than the cost of two visits to Magic Kingdom. I guess it depends on how much you like your family and friends, but it sure seems like an awful trade from a value standpoint.

Micheal
Micheal
7 months ago

Less than the price of one admission, as the maingate is equivalent to a park-hopper.

Andrew Zona
Andrew Zona
7 months ago

I fail to see the benefit of choosing Disney+ over parks passes. A one-year membership for Disney+ equates to day entrance passes for 1.5 friends. You bring one friend twice and you’re already got a good deal.

Seattleite
Seattleite
Reply to  Andrew Zona

Disney+ option is only good for the CMs who live far away from the parks. They will still get their self admission pass, plus 4 comp tickets a year. Also, Disneyland is heavily blocked out to MEP, which almost makes it useless for that park. However, I’d strongly support giving both to CMs but I think this is the first step in Disney reducing CM park privileges (they’d rather make money on them visiting the parks).

Dean
Dean
7 months ago

This is great for the CMs who aren’t big parks fans. As a CM myself I know plenty of other CMs who never go to the parks because to them working at Disney is just a job and the parks aren’t something they are interested in. I have worked with CM who didn’t even know what merchandise locations were around the corner from the store they had worked in for 10 years so I can see a small percentage of CM going for the bundled streaming service.

Paesh
Paesh
Reply to  Dean

If the CMs don’t like the parks, they probably need to find a new job.

Channon
Channon
7 months ago

most ppl i signed in didnt appreciate the sign ins, anyway. they either broke rules, spent an hour or two in the park then left, or complained about the long lines and high prices.

i’ll be good with my comp tickets. i’d love disney+ if i don’t have to pay for it.

Mitch
Mitch
Reply to  Channon

Channon, I agree with what you mean, but I feel that you should be outraged at the fact that they think they can swindle your value. Those tickets from your maingate have much more value than Disney+. What would have been reasonable would be Disney+ and 12 days worth of maingate, rather than the standard 16. It’s insulting that executives think they can give you less perks. It’s not about whether or not you use your tickets, it’s about what executives think you’re worth. It’s the principle. It’s just further proof that service workers are seen as plebs who aren’t… Read more »

Krystiniamarie Hayden
Krystiniamarie Hayden
Reply to  Mitch

Not to mention they are violating their own conduct. The price for Disney plus is giving up your Maingate. In their own Handbook it states you cannot sell or barter for services of your maingate. This company who fires people if they have the slightest suspicion you are doing it whether it’s true or not.

David Scordia
7 months ago

It’s actually a very good option for the Cast Members who live far away from any Disney Parks and don’t go there often like the ones living and working in New York, Singapore, all Europe except for France, and so on.
Also, for families with 2 Cast Members, they can enjoy both if the entries of one are enough for their friends and families.

Rae95
Rae95
Reply to  David Scordia

Disney+ isn’t and may not be available to a few locations though. The price of hotel with entry already taken care of, even once every 3-5 years seems better than free subscription for a year. Comps only cover a day and the cost for tickets, even with our discount can still be costly.

Any
Any
Reply to  David Scordia

I looked it and there are 60k employees outside parks (and 140k in them) I’m not sure what it’s considered a cast member, but I think as you say that it’s a really good option for outside the parks employees

Mitch
Mitch
Reply to  David Scordia

True, but we were told a year ago, that we would have either free or discounted access to it depending on multiple factors.

But the shock of us wanting access for ALL our main gates (48 tickets worth) is insulting. If you live elsewhere, it’s a good option, but for those who work at the parks, it’s insanely bold and insulting.

Krystiniamarie Hayden
Krystiniamarie Hayden
Reply to  Mitch

This reminds me that one year when the Christmas gift was a wind chime made of recyclable materials. I know bunch of cast threw theirs in a huge box and mailed to Burbank.

Ayr Poucher
Ayr Poucher
7 months ago

OMG..this comment is Pure Gold! I worked there at the time and remember how people went crazy over that free gift.

Rhonda
Rhonda
7 months ago

Disney + is only 6.99 a month. My main gate pass is worth more. Plus I have Netflix.

Mitch
Mitch
Reply to  Rhonda

Not encouraging it, but it’s possible to pirate a movie. It’s not possible to pirate your way into the park (realistically).

To say entering the Magic Kingdom is the same value as a digital movie catalog is laughable.

Davenport Florida Home
Davenport Florida Home
7 months ago

This is a bad disney joke. Makes me not want to get disney plus now at all. Disney your a joke. On this.

James
James
7 months ago

I want the MEP! Because I don’t watch enough tv to make it worth my while. I’d get more use out of the MEP….

Trey
Trey
Reply to  James

I’m disappointed that cast members can’t get both. We work hard to make magic for everyone. My co-workers & I were really disappointed by this offer. We can get this bundle free but…you have to give up your #1 perk.

Krystiniamarie Hayden
Krystiniamarie Hayden
Reply to  Trey

I’m waiting for people to sue for Disney firing them for accusing them of selling or bartering. They don’t care if the person is innocent or not if you got accused your fired and now they go off and barter the maingate.

Victoria
Victoria
7 months ago

Shame on Disney for forcing us Cast Members to choose between a $13 a month plan and happiness with friends and family for an entire year. I hope they reconsider. And soon.

No Appreciation
No Appreciation
7 months ago

Is this April Fool’s? Like literally is this a practical joke by Disney Parks?

Krystiniamarie Hayden
Krystiniamarie Hayden
7 months ago

😂😂😂😂😂😂 who made this idea? Fire that person for making this idea Maingate isn’t for sale or bataring for service or goods as is according to your own handbook. xD You fire people for this VERY THING.

CM123
CM123
7 months ago

What Randy said…. what an awful slap in the face to the loyal cast members that contribute to those record profits just announced.

They give us Christmas coupons worth more than a year of this bundle.

Wouldn’t the free advertising of cast members raving about Disney+ shows be more than worth it?

Plus, leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

Hope the execs reconsider…

Michael
Michael
7 months ago

This is the dumbest thing ever. I think there might be an error in reporting. A maingate is worth about $8,100 annually retail. What’s this streaming service worth? $160 annually?

Do the math.

B. L.
B. L.
7 months ago

This “gesture” just kind of reiterates what kind of company Disney has become. They refuse to give their employees anything unless something is taken away or it benefits them (the company) in some way. Simply selfish.

Ryan Martin
Ryan Martin
7 months ago

This is not a worth while offer. What I’ve been saying, however close this suggestion might be to my idea, is that Disney should offer an opt in or out program where we get a higher wage to opt out of not just maingates but also comp tickets and further. What cast members need most is a living wage. Give us this option with a stupid good discount on tickets and we will have enough money to buy our way in on top of making enough money to live on. This is much more desirable

Leonardo
Leonardo
7 months ago

We use out MEP more than watching streaming TV. Why can’t it be like the system that you take all 3 Disney channels on AppleTV, enter your cable supplier as TWDC and then your hub ID and your good for months at the time? Why do we have to pay? There is a small group tha would still choose neither of these

Also, for changes in benefits, don’t they have to run it by the union?

Ariel
Ariel
7 months ago

As much as it might not make sense to US based folks, specifically ones that are close to WDW or WDL this option is great for those cast members who work anywhere else in the world! The Disney company spans more then just the theme parks but for a vast majority of these people going to the parks doesnt make sense. Even with free admission, a flight and hotel stay are still going to cost a pretty penny. Although I am sad that this will not be a free offering to those of us working for disney at the parks,… Read more »

Cheryl
Cheryl
Reply to  Ariel

Not sure if that will work. When I went overseas streaming options such as Amazon, Vudu, HBO, other channel apps do not work due to international restrictions. Is Disney+ available overseas?

Shay
Shay
Reply to  Ariel

I feel any Disney cast member should experience the atmosphere and visit the parks at least once. However this can be done successfully with budgeting and planning. If I read correctly we still would receive self admission and comp tickets annually. Realistically I am in the majority of cast members that live far away from Florida and California. So we do not visit the parks that often. We are blessed if we visit 1-2 times within a 5 year span. I am grateful for the option and will be choosing the Disney+ bundle free annually. That is one less bill… Read more »