goofy-cavalcade-with-castle-9-6-20-2-8500240

Analysts Call 2021 A “Lost Year” for Disney Theme Parks, Predicts They Won’t Fully Recover Until Fiscal Year 2023

Despite the Walt Disney World Resort’s phased reopening being well underway now, and Disneyland Resort ready to reopen as soon as possible, the impacts of the theme park shutdown have already taken root within the company’s Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products division, with some analysts claiming that the theme parks may be facing another “lost year” in 2021.

Goofy Cavalcade with Cinderella Castle

According to a report by The Orange County Register‘s Brady MacDonald, Deutsche Bank analysts have upgraded Disney stock due to the success of Disney+ in the past few months, but warn that the theme parks may continue to struggle for a few more years.

In reference to the upcoming start of the new fiscal year, Deutsche Bank noted in their recent analysts’ report:

At this point, we are assuming that FY21 (beginning 10/1/20) will be another ‘lost year’.

The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division revenue is expected to decline $9.8 billion in fiscal year 2020, with revenue not expected to fully bounce back until 2023. Deutsche Bank expects a significant rebound in 2025, with a $10 billion boost in revenue up from pre-pandemic levels.

With local visitors making up 50% of park capacity, analysts don’t expect attendance—or the parks’ full earning power—to normalize until a vaccine is widely available and domestic and international travel resumes.

Source: The Orange County Register

5 2 votes
Notify of
guest

Z B
Z B
17 days ago

Drop the mask mandate and silly rules and likely to not be a lost year.

Tina
Tina
17 days ago
Reply to  Z B

Right on.

David Smith
David Smith
16 days ago
Reply to  Z B

Sure Z B, and make WDW a Petri dish for the virus followed by illnesses, deaths and limitless lawsuits against Disney. A very well thought out suggestion. I am sure the Disney Co. will give that idea all the consideration it is due.

Kris Walters
Kris Walters
16 days ago
Reply to  Z B

Agreed, we did not renew our annual pass for this very reason and we spent quite a bit of time park hopping to eat, drink and shop. We bought 3 motorcycles with the savings!

Price Naveen
Price Naveen
16 days ago
Reply to  Z B

Couldn’t agree more. This is the truth that many people refuse to see. People will NOT pay top dollar to mask up in 90 degree heat and have no parades/fireworks/character dining. Until Disney realizes this, they will continue to loose out.

Last edited 16 days ago by Price Naveen
Alan
Alan
17 days ago

Had yearly passes for many years. Just cancelled our passes in August. Will not return to WDWZ anytime soon. Our 107 weeks of Disney will be on hold.

Strategy444
Strategy444
17 days ago

WDW and I were born at the same time in October 1971. We’ll both be 50. I WILL BE THERE!

Melissa
Melissa
17 days ago

I read a different article with the calendar showing people need to book a park appointment until at least 9/2021. I miss Disney and I am pro mask, but I’m not wearing a mask for 14+ hours so I’m staying home until masks are lifted and appointments are no longer necessary. Do you have any insight into when that will be?

vjg
vjg
17 days ago
Reply to  Melissa

I went last Wednesday with my son and we did all animal kingdom in 3 hrs.. without the long lines there’s no need to be there 14 hours and wear a mask for that long either.. saturdays and Sundays are a bit busier but still the longest line I saw was 25 mins

Doug J Harris
Doug J Harris
15 days ago
Reply to  Melissa

While no one knows for sure probably even Disney. If a vaccine is ready for production in November or January it will probably be June at the earliest.

JMC
JMC
17 days ago

We all love,Disney but why would you go with so many restrictions. I agree with the wearing of mask but how do you get your four young grandchildren to keep them on all day. Then you have to make reservations, no parades, no character breakfast or fireworks. These are the things that light up a kids eye and they want more. It’s a shame that you pay so much and get back so little. Hopefully soon we can all return!!

Erin Gorski
Erin Gorski
17 days ago

Feel awesome and safe , healthy wearing a mask …not spreading an outdoor allergy sneeze to other people at the parks makes me feel good about myself! Of course I clean my mask when it gets dirty before bed! Dawn and hot water! People spreading germs are extremely inconsiderate and unhealthy in my opinion! And dont give me lies about people who can’t wear it for a medical reason is a lie! Every adult can wear it, its your choice whether you want to be stubborn/defiant or not!

Joe Dean
Joe Dean
16 days ago

The mask mandate doesn’t bother me. I would help them recover faster if they would make annual passes available for sale again!

Last edited 16 days ago by Joe Dean
Rick
Rick
16 days ago

Cancelled our annual passes also…went one last time 2 weeks ago and the magic was gone…definitely will return one day…

Doug J Harris
Doug J Harris
15 days ago

While 2021 being another lost year sounds right. 2025 rebound doesn’t. 2022 rebound sounds more accurate.