Resort Roll-Out Dates Revealed for MagicBand & MyMagic+, Date Given for Full Launch

For several weeks now, MagicBands have been distributed to guests at select Disney resort hotels so they could test out all of the exciting facets of the MyMagic+ system. Well, the final roll-out dates have been announced for the remaining resort hotels and we now know when Disney plans to take the system out of the testing phase and finally introduce the world to a new way to experience a Walt disney World vacation…

20130730_171030

Currently, you can only get MagicBands if you are staying at Disney’s Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House Villas, and Kidani Village, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Beach Club Resort & Villas, Disney’s Polynesian Resort, Disney’s Port Orleans Resort Riverside & French Quarter, Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort, and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

Testing begins at All-Star Sports, Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, the Boardwalk Villas, and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort on October 7th. October 14th brings All-Star Music, Disney’s Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge online. Finally, Disney’s Fort Wilderness and Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa will be the last to begin testing on October 21st.

Resort guests should either receive a mailed invitation or be able to add MagicBands to their reservation through DisneyWorld.com. You will only be invited if you have a room and ticket package at the very least, to the best of our knowledge.

All testing is set to conclude on November 30th, meaning that December 1st, 2013 is set as the hard roll-out date for MyMagic+ for all Disney resort guests. Annual passholders and non-Disney resort guests will continue to use hard tickets until further notice and it remains unclear if those not staying at Disney hotels will ever get one.

Ang
Ang

Will tickets for special events such as MVMCP be transferred onto these, or will they continue to be hard ticket events?

Adam C
Adam C
Reply to  Tom Corless

I thought that because of system issues guests were advised NOT to link special event tickets to their MagicBands. Specifically this happened for Mickey's Not So Scary.

ianrob84
Reply to  Tom Corless

I linked mine myself… worked a charm!

Dee
Dee

What about the people who have already linked their APs to a MagicBand & were/are already using them with it?

Ruth Anthony

I've read that AP have received magic bands.

Alex Vargas (@AlexVa

Any idea if regular photopass will have to be linked to the bands or will we still have the choice to scan cards?

BuffaloJason
BuffaloJason

Everything I've heard indicates photopass is not ready to be integrated with the Magic Bands yet and will follow some time later

BuffaloJason
BuffaloJason
Reply to  BuffaloJason

I guess I was wrong, based on John Pritchett's report below:

PhotoPass: most photographers now have the new RFID readers connected to the cameras. Instead of passing your PP card to the photographer, you just show them your MagicBand, they take your photos, then scan your band. The website has changed, however, it is now mydisneyphotopass.com and is not compatible with the old site.

Nicole M.
Nicole M.

Are fast passes limited to how many you can get per day?

Michael Kuzminski
Michael Kuzminski

Any idea if MagicBands will be distributed to those with reservations at Shades of Green? I'll be arriving there on the 1st of November, and will also be purchasing an annual pass at SoG. Will we still have to use the regular paper AP? 01 November can't get here soon enough.

Mike K

Waldo ChickenMan Edw
Waldo ChickenMan Edw

Having just returned from Mouseland, I must warn people that all the kinks have not been ironed out and you are advised to bring your physical ticket/pass and hard room key with you as well. Here's the breakdown: FastPass+ worked flawlessly, PhotoPass hit or miss get a photopass card just in case, room charges worked once in a while but never consistantly bring your room key, extra magic hours bring your room key as they don't accept just your band as proof of staying on property, dining reservations worked perfectly, passholder discounts must show physical annual pass plus photo ID… Read more »

BuffaloJason
BuffaloJason

Do we think you actually have to have book room & tickets as a package, or just have tickets and a room associated with you My Disney Experience account?

flanaganid
Reply to  BuffaloJason

You don't have to book a package or purchase tickets, as long as you have everything linked in My Disney Experience.

I booked my trip in November through the DVC and have an AP, so I'm not staying on a package. I linked my DVC reservation and AP to My Disney Experience, and just last week, it advised me to customize my Magic Bands.

John Pritchett
John Pritchett

Having used this just last week, I will share my insights: System works GREAT! Not flawless, but entire family loved it. Seems like a pretty seamless integration in my recent experience. A quick note on how the MyMagic+ works- whether it is a MagicBand, KTTW Card, or new RFID MagicCards, they all function the same. Each of these contains a unique RFID key code that is read by a device, transmitted to Disney and references your information that is stored in the My Disney Experience computer system. Other than they unique code, there is no personal information on your card.… Read more »

Sara
Sara

We stayed at Beach Club in late September. The hotel was booked through a credit card reward travel program (we learned that on Disney's end it looks like a Travelocity reservation), and our park tickets through CAA and a shopping rewards program. I linked both the room reservation and the tickets in My Disney Experience. We were given the opportunity to customize Magicbands and choose Fastpass+ times. Based on that experience, it appears that as long as you have a room and tickets linked in to MDE, the Magicbands option would be available for participating resorts. The room and ticket… Read more »

Alejandra
Alejandra

Thamk you for all information. Just want to make sure, We will be at WDW on January 6th, when I will receive the magic bands?

Thank You!

Love the site

Tracy Amoroso
Tracy Amoroso

You mention Port Orleans Riverside as being part of the program but you don't mention when they will be rolling it out. Any ideas? Thanks

Jenn
Jenn

I'd love to know where you got the 12/31 official release date information. Nowhere else have I seen that and when I contacted Disney about it this was the response I received: You are correct that testing currently ends on November 30th. However there has been no date confirmed as of yet as to if the test will continue or it will be released to the general public. Any information you may see on third party websites and blogs are not valid. It is possible that either we will extend the testing out through December or even released it by… Read more »

Joy
Joy

Thanks, Tom!!! How about those of us staying at a resort hotel, but able to purchase the Military Park Hopper tickets. Do you know if the Military vouchers (once turned in for a ticket) will be good to link to the bands?

John Pritchett
John Pritchett
Reply to  Joy

We stayed with family using Military Salute tickets. The short answer is yes, but you will have to link you admission media to the band/MDE account after it is activated at Guest Relations. Additionally, you will only be able to make FP+ reservations after your ticket is activated.

Jenn
Jenn

Thanks, I was confused as I could've sworn the original article stated the launch date was 12/31 not 12/1. :) Thanks!

Brian Weaver

Hopefully Annual Passholders get info soon. I just renewed & upgraded to a Premium Annual Pass

Gretchen Lindsey
Gretchen Lindsey

I am a DVC member and we acutally have an Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort stay scheduled for December 12 – 16th. I have been trying to figure out if I cna purchase Magic Bands for that stay and keep getting told they are in test phase and I am not able to order. Do you have any thoughts on this?

CJ
CJ

Yes, we used our bands on our recent trip which began on 9/25 and our park tickets, Magical Express reservations both ways, including MNSSHP tickets, all of our Fast-pass options, dinning reservations, AKV room lock, photo-pass pictures, food purchase and merchandise purchase, etc. and it all worked out great for us – no issues. We did take the advice and brought our Key to the World card and Park Tickets just in case but these bands are fantastic! I so prefer the bands to the lanyard around my neck, I didn't even know I was wearing it most of the… Read more »

CJ
CJ

Only resorts that are currently utilizing the bands will get them. I did hear someone where we checked in at AKV that they are staying at Shades of Green also in November, would they be able to use them again. Then cast member said yes but ONLY for AP park entrance, Fast Passes set up through My Disney Experience, and Photo Passes. Nothing else until the integration at all resorts.