BREAKING: Walt Disney World Officially Bans Selfie Stick Use on Attractions

It has been a long time coming, but Walt Disney World today officially notified all cast members that selfie sticks being used on rides and attractions will no longer be tolerated.

selfiesticksatdisneyland
Image from Jaunted.com, riders at Disneyland using the sticks while on Luigi’s Flying Tires

The elongating sticks that guests use to take cell phone “selfie” pictures have been a huge problem since their introduction, with many guests sticking the rods out beyond ride vehicles and such at the parks, posing a major safety threat to themselves and other guests.

Cast members at greeter positions in front of attractions are now instructed to ask any guest with a visible selfie stick to stow the item for the duration of the experience. A guest using the stick while enjoying a ride or attraction will be asked to stow the item over the attraction’s PA system or the attraction will be stopped immediately by the cast members according to the policy.

While not really a new policy, this is the first step by Disney to make sure all cast members handle use of the selfie sticks by guests in the same manner. Disney’s rules about sticking any items out of a moving ride vehicle have always been the same, it is completely prohibited. The memo to cast members today simply ensures that all of the employees know about the issue and are trained to resolve it.

Selfie sticks are still allowed at Walt Disney World theme parks outside of rides and attractions.

Victoria Bode

Please ban selfie sticks completely!

Veronica
Veronica
Reply to  Victoria Bode

Yes! I was walking at MK last week and a person with a selfie stick almost hit my son in the eye. It is a safety concern even out of the rides when the parks get crowed and there is not much space to walk.

Ledergrant
Ledergrant
Reply to  Veronica

I agree that selfie sticks are ridiculous and annoying, but just because someone ALMOST hit your kid in the eye with one….will you want to ban strollers if someone almost bumps into you with one? The people with strollers run into me all the time in WDW. Instead of trying to go for an overall ban….I just call them out as rude.

It’s people like you who got Alien Encounter changed to ridiculous Stich’s Great Escape because it scared your kid….even though the warnings were posted everywhere that it was scary.

Salma
Salma
Reply to  Ledergrant

But strollers are necessary…

Eli
Eli
Reply to  Salma

Strollers are not necessary.

Lilliana
Lilliana
Reply to  Ledergrant

Selfie sticks are rude, unnecessary pieces of crap. Youtube. Disney paid someone to record it better than you years ago. You dont NEED a selfie stick. They hit people, get in the way, are horribly distracting, and just unsafe in general. You’re on vacation. Spend time with your family, not technology, Cheese and rice!

Audra
Audra
Reply to  Lilliana

It’s BECAUSE I treasure my memories with my family that I am considering getting a selfie stick. In the last three vacations at Disney I took with my family, we have no family pictures of the four of us. We will ask a passerby to take a picture, but so far no luck with them getting a great picture with just one or two quick shots and we hate to ask them to take pics several times (we have two little ones and it’s hard to get them to smile on demand). I’d love to have a good shot or… Read more »

ToLedergrant
ToLedergrant
Reply to  Ledergrant

No it’s people like you who are the problem Ledergrant, whoever you are! You take something you hear about something from within another context and use it for this one simply to make yourself sound so much more intelligent and morally adequate. Strollers are innovative tools that make the process of life so much easier than hulling a child around. If there is a stroller coming towards you, then move your ass out of the way. I know for a fact that parent wasn’t doing it on a purpose to deliberately hit you! So yeah, get rid of these selfie… Read more »

GetaLife.com
Reply to  ToLedergrant

You have issues “bud”….go see a therapist..

kelly
kelly
Reply to  Ledergrant

I wondered why they changed alien encounter. It was great

sara
sara
Reply to  Veronica

I also was there last week and it was ridiculous with the selfie sticks a lady taking a Selfie stick picture tripped and fell on to my daughter’s wheelchair stroller yes please bann them.

Susan Bosworth

The next thing I want to see banned are people holding up their bleeping iPads as a camera and blocking everyone’s view.

Jodi
Jodi
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

Yes!!! One of my biggest pet peeves, too!

Clare
Clare
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

So annoying during Wishes!!

yensid
yensid
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

I too can’t stand this… if they want to re-watch it at home there is this thing called youtube that has wishes in beautiful 1080p from a tripod which would be better than their shaky ipad video

kelly
kelly
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

Mmmm hmmm lol.

to all you ignorant people
to all you ignorant people
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

all you people are ignorant if you don’t want to deal with all the issues then don’t go and just stay home and search Disney land on youtube.

Neil
Neil
Reply to  Susan Bosworth

What happen to just using one of those things. Its called a camera. Come on leave your I-PAD in your room and your phone in your pocket. If you really need a picture of yourself just ask any cast member. I lost count the number of times I am asked to take some ones picture. Anytime I go to Disney I have my camera in my hand. No phone no I-Pad just a camera. That is what they are made for.

trackback

[…] to WDWNT, Walt Disney World Cast Members are already being instructed to advise guests of the new policy that is being strictly […]

kathleen Godio
kathleen Godio

Great, now to stop the people holding their iPad up to either video parade, ride or take pictures on the ride. On the great movie ride someone held their iPad up the whole time. They hold iPad out to video parade and block view.

Chris A
Chris A

People gripe and complain too much. If it is a safety issue then address it, but seriously, move your face 3″ one way or the other and look around their cameras or iPad. Bunch of whiney overgrown babies.

rick
rick
Reply to  Chris A

^says the guy using his Ipad^

kim lobdell
kim lobdell
Reply to  Chris A

Sometimes you can’t move 3″ to one side or the other in the middle of a crowd at WDW. You’re probably one of the obnoxious people holding up an ipad blocking everyone elses’s view.

The Lord God Jeff
The Lord God Jeff
Reply to  Chris A

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. One person blocking the view of others absolutely is not acceptable and not only should cast members and the others in the audience ask them to put it away, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Megan
Megan
Reply to  Chris A

If you are 5′ it’s a little difficult to just look 3″ one way or the other in the middle of a large crowd. Ipads are way more irritating that selfie sticks in my mind, but I understand why they banned them on rides like they did. Ipads should absolutely be banned during shows and parades though. They’re inconsiderate and just plain rude to the people behind them.

Ledergrant
Ledergrant
Reply to  Chris A

It’s not only about moving dill hole. It is about the aesthetics of the show being negatively affected by the brightly lit iPad illuminating the dark foreground. You are probably one of those douches who uses his iPad to film everything.

gene
gene
Reply to  Chris A

Maybe ACCIDENTALLY knock it out of their hands… ;)

Karen
Karen

Ban them completely

Jaylynn
Jaylynn

Selfie sticks aren’t the problem the problem is people are just stupid and beyond annoying anymore especially the ones that act like they’re the only people around they lack total self awareness and are just always in a daze I think they should allow us to carry tazers and knock em out lol

Steve Thorn
Reply to  Jaylynn

I agree with you 99%, the only thing I disagree with….selfie sticks themselves ARE a problem. 8-)

Tina B.
Tina B.
Reply to  Steve Thorn

Completely agreed. It’s the same hipster-douchebag mentality that made made the measles outbreak possible.

eastyorkdisneyfan

One step at a time slowly but surly we will get there.

Steve
Steve

I agree 100% that there need to be rules in place to a) ensure the safety of all guests (especially the children !) and b) to enable everyone to enjoy their experience to the fullest without preventing anyone else from enjoying their time. We’ve all paid dearly for our tickets, and I for one do not appreciate having to crane my neck to see around someone’s iPad because they’re inconsiderate. Last time we were eating dinner at San Angel Inn (Epcot, Mexico) we were constantly being blinded by inconsiderate people’s use of flash photography in the boat ride. How foolish… Read more »

Lyn s.
Lyn s.

Along with the “selfie sticks” PLEASE ban smoking !!!!!

Diane Hoey Flood
Reply to  Lyn s.

Really!! There are designated areas on the parks maps for smoking…….just like smokers look on the map to find them, non-smokers can look to find and AVOID them as well ! What about alcohol ? Should that be banned as well from the parks? Just stay clear of the designated areas and this should not be a problem for you!

Mississauga Dad

I have been to Disney World and Disneyland (California) many, many times. My experience has been that many smokers don’t care to look for designated cancer zones and simply light up whenever and wherever they feel like it. Many also use washroom stalls as good hiding places to indulge their filthy habit. I also found cigarette butts floating in Castaway Creek in Typhoon Lagoon. And if a nicotine addict has a quick smoke at a designated area just before hopping on a closed-in attraction such as Star Tours or something similar the reek is SO BAD it’s like living in… Read more »

Jo Brown

Now if they will start banning pets/”emotional support animals”.
Not talking about True Trained Service Animals.

serena
serena
Reply to  Jo Brown

Emotional support animals are not a nuisance. There are plenty of people that get anxiety attacks, are trying to face agoraphobia issues, etc that these animals are a great help to. Just because someone has a non-visable ailment does not mean they don’t need extra assistance like someone who is blind or has seizures.

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  serena

I Think what he’s trying to say is ban people who have poorly trained animals that they say are service animals just so they can take them with them. You can’t always look at a person and know why they need the animal but you can usually spot a well trained one from a fake.

John Wiggins
John Wiggins

Does anyone know if this applies to DLR too? I sure hope so!

Lilliana
Lilliana
Reply to  John Wiggins

I thought DLR had banned them completely…? I know one of the parks did at least.

Mickey
Mickey

Useless policy.
I now know to hide my selfie stick prior to entering the attraction.
I also now know to use that selfie stick super fast on the attraction.
CM asks you not to use it and you do, what are they gonna do?
Damage is done.
CM won’t confiscate the stick.
it’ll be a CM command ignored.
Just like the numerous “prohibited” photos guests take on the ride.

EJohn
EJohn
Reply to  Mickey

Security will escort you out the park and confiscate your pass if you have one. Keep doing it. The less people like you in the park, the better!

dvdhdtv
Reply to  EJohn

I’m with you Mickey. I know how to use my GOPRO on a ride without impeding others view or experience, BUT… How about enforcing flash photography on rides?!? The problem with any rule is the lack of consistency. Selfie sticks on a ride do NOT ruin my experience. However, the person behind me on Pirates, that takes 57 pictures with their flash on does. Do they get escorted out, pass taken??? NOPE! They’ll have a lawsuit on their hands unless there is consistency. You can’t fix stupid, but you can enforce your “rules” across the board…

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Mickey

Nice attitude Mickey. You probably trip the kids and put gum on the seats too.

dvdhdtv
Reply to  Matt

He’s just calling it like it is…

Lilliana
Lilliana
Reply to  Mickey

Lol. When you break a rule, especially one tied to safety, you get your selfish butt kicked out of the park. No refund, either. If you are a continued offender, you get blacklisted. It’s happened in the past. Heck, less than a year ago Orange County police tackled and handcuffed a guy just outside of City Hall for screwing with a safety critical procedure. Before anything else, Disney values Safety. And, if a cast member sees you as a serious risk, they CAN escort you out of the park themselves. They don’t have to call security if the situation deems… Read more »

tina
tina
Reply to  Lilliana

lets be real here for a minute. we ALL know that is NOT true, they will NOT be kicked out of the park for a stick. They will walk away and cm can NOT do a thing.

Fast32
Fast32

I agree that selfie sticks need to be banned from rides and attractions for safety issues. However, I do not agree with some who have posted here that selfie sticks should be banned elsewhere, and no such ban is going to happen. Disney is not going to ban families from taking a “family selfie” with a selfie stick in front of Cinderella Castle or places like that.

J.Skellington
J.Skellington
Reply to  Fast32

They are just banning them on rides as they can hit stationary parts of the ride and cause damage or harm. Not to mention people don’t want to ride big thunder with a bunch of cameras on sticks in their view

skimmerbobskimbob
Reply to  Fast32

I am sick of selfie sticks blocking my view at shows as well as kids on their parents shoulders. People are so self absorbed that they don’t care about blocking someone elses view. I pay like everyone else and I would like to see something other than a kids backside or a selfie stick waving back and forth or an Ipad totally blocking my view. Be considerate people.

Lilliana
Lilliana
Reply to  Fast32

One of Disney’s other parks have already banned them completely, as has Universal, I believe. WDW will ban them ifmit’s necessary, and it truly is.

Jared

Good riddance

itsepcotcenter
itsepcotcenter

People actually carry their iPad in the park? I must be a light traveller. (p.s. I’ve seen the iPad thing and it’s annoying just like so many other things people do)

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

People in general are annoying.

David
David

It’s still not going to do anything. You’re still going to go on POC. The foreigners are STILL going to use them on the ride. IF they are questioned after the ride they will claim the didn’t understand. They go on the next ride to ruin it for you, why?because the cast members hands are tied and they know that. So they will continue to do what they want and NO ONE is going to tell them different. So I don’t know why they keep reporting rules that will not be followed, or inforced.

Vito
Vito
Reply to  David

David, I’ve been on rides where riders have disobeyed the CM. The shut down Tower of Terror because they out their feet on the seat ahead of them after being told not to. A voice came over the speaker reminding us that they see and hear everything. The boys got a nice lecture in front of everyone and got to stay on the ride with the rest of us irritated guests.
Those who disobey a Cast Member learn quickly or get escorted out of the park. There hands are not tied.

Vito
Vito
Reply to  Vito

I wish they would have done that to the people with the flash photography on POC. Boy is that annoying.

Jay
Jay

I don’t mind iPads as much as kids on shoulders. At least with iPads you can still see whats in front of you. Now on the topic of Selfie Sticks whatever happened to the traditional selfie w/o a stick?

dvdhdtv
Reply to  Jay

preach it!!!

ballawrinagirl
ballawrinagirl

I think that kids on shoulders are far worse than IPads. If you are going to put your kid on your shoulders please be conciderate and go to the back of the crowd. Same with IPads. Don’t just stick it up and block everyone’s view.