BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introducing FuelRod Service to Revolutionize How Guests Charge Electronics

Starting July 1-2, guests can purchase portable charging batteries at FuelRod kiosks that will be added to Walt Disney World theme parks, Disney Springs, and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Fuelrod

FuelRod kiosks dispense portable charging batteries for $30.00 each, which includes:

• A portable charging battery
  • 6″ USB Type A to micro-USB cable (for most Android devices)
  • One Apple 30-pin to USB cable
  • One Apple Lightning to USB cable

The purchase is not a rental, the charging device will belong to guest after purchase.

The kiosk will be located in the following locations:

• Magic Kingdom
    • Tomorrowland Light and Power Co.
    • Big Top Souvenirs
    • Pecos Bill’s
    • Curtain Call Collectibles
  • Epcot
    • Disney Traders
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios
    • Celebrity 5 & 10
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    • Island Mercantile
  • Disney Springs
    • Marketplace Disney Photo Imaging
    • DisneyQuest
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports
    • ESPN Clubhouse Shop

The novel thing about the concept is that depleted batteries can be simply swapped out for fully charged ones at any of these kiosks. Depleted batteries can be swapped out for no added charge after purchase by guests, meaning they may never have to actually charge one themselves. Guests may also choose to charge the battery on their own with the included cable, of course.

Author

Joe
Joe

Or just go on Amazon and buy an Anker charger (or other brand) that’s similar in size for half the price.

Ethan
Reply to  Joe

Joe –

I think you missed the part where it says “Depleted batteries can be swapped out for no added charge after purchase by guests, meaning they may never have to actually charge one themselves.”

So basically you use them and refill them instantly on the go throughout the parks, no stopping to charge them or anything.

Corey
Corey
Reply to  Ethan

I think that Joe read it correctly. He is just smart enough to realize for less than $30 you can get a 22000 mAh battery pack which will charge most smart phones fully 2.5-3 times. No need to swap, can be recharged overnight back at the hotel. We do this every trip.

Renee P
Renee P
Reply to  Corey

This exactly!

soozzone
soozzone
Reply to  Renee P

The point is convenience for the times when it turns out your charger is dead or you left it in a different bag. You don’t go to Disneyland for the cheapest anything, but it’s nice to know that there’s a charging option when you aren’t able to get an instant Amazon delivery.

Robin D Gerzema
Robin D Gerzema

So can you purchase before you get to the park? This is a great idea!!

SirZac

Apparently it isn’t a full iPhone charge, so you’ll be back to replace the battery soon. http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.com/2016/05/10/battery-life-of-a-fuel-rod-and-swapping-one-out/

Lauren
Lauren

When you buy one, are you buying a brand new one or one that has been returned (1,2,3 times?) and recharged?

Matt R
Matt R
Reply to  Lauren

It looks to me like when you buy one, it’s brand new. When you swap, you’ll get a used one that has been recharged.

Narno
Narno
Reply to  Lauren

It comes with cords to recharge. So it’s a reusable power supply. However, in the park on the go you simply pop it in a kiosk and get a fully charged stick. For $30 you get quite a deal, and no fuel rods get thrown in the garbage. Their online pricing outside the park is $20 but there is a $10 deposit

Mind me
Mind me

Lol, another overpriced product.

Think twice
Think twice
Reply to  Mind me

Let me know where you shop so I can get the only items in America that are not overpriced. The object of a business is to make money $$.

Debbie
Debbie

I have a $20 ever-start charger from Walmart that charges all three of our phones and tablet all day in the parks. While I know this will help some people I prefer my $20 one that’ll give me a full charge more than once during the day and also charge everyone else’s in my families phones too all day.

Porter Landrum
Porter Landrum

Yet, it is a BRILLIANT idea!! I’ve wondered why Disney has not yet offered $3.00 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches every 10 feet on every single walkway in the park!! They’s make (another) FORTUNE!!!

Renee'
Renee'
Reply to  Porter Landrum

Because there are people in the world (like myself) that has sever peanut allergies. If I can smell the peanut butter, I go into an anaphylactic shock. It would be too risky for Disney to do that

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas
Reply to  Renee'

peanut allergies were the way to weed out the weak

Patrick T. Epcot
Patrick T. Epcot

yay Capitalism

rae

You can find these chargers
for ten bucks at Tuesday Morning.

Kimberly Viola
Reply to  rae

The exact ones from Fuel Rod?

Flip
Flip

Great idea! If you are in need of this you should have to pay a premium for it. If you think it’s overpriced, I guess you don’t buy it.

Meech
Meech
Reply to  Flip

This. People need to stop being so pretentious. By all means, bring your own chargers!!! But for those who do not, this is a genius idea!

Diane Deters-Davis

I think it is a great idea. I think that being able to exchange them is what is going to be useful to most. Who has time to worry about charging a device when you can just exchange one. I hope that they can be wiped down to remove germs, because they will probably come across lots of hands.

CJ
CJ

I guess I am a trend setter because I have been sporting one of these from work that I have charges prior to visiting and using when needed for both of our phones :-) Honestly, I would have never purchased one of these on my own because I didn’t know the benefit they possess. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

CJ
CJ
Reply to  CJ

PS – I think Disney is missing a great marketing opportunity here – most of us would purchase if you add a Mickey *0*

Indybill
Indybill

Saw a kiosk to buy one of these at the Philly airport yesterday (and the kiosk had a place to turn in old ones to swap as well.) They were only charging $20 in the airport so Disney upped the price 50%.

James Warwick
Reply to  Indybill

consider that they say that you can replace with a new one in the park when your current one runs out is probably why it costs more.

Hollie Starr

I bought a charger from amazon years ago. Charges iphones and androids up to 6 hours of charge very quickly. Paid around $20 for it. Carry it where ever I go when I know I will be taking a lot of pics. To Disney, the springs, the mountains, beach, etc. It’s nice that Disney finally thought about this and that they will replace depleted ones. When I went to find a charging area in Epcot once I was directed to an electrical outlet. I had my cord, but not the plug in for my phone cord. So that is not… Read more »

Barb
Barb

This is a great idea! I purchased one for our family, we shared it the entire trip! Saved having to find outlets! Great job again Disney! Loved it, need to add more kiosks, especially at EPCOT

Darrell
Darrell

But it online for $20.00 at http://www.fuel-rod.com and then just swap out the batteries throughout the day as they wear down. There are several locations at most parks. Great idea!

Ben
Ben

The cost of the micro USB to lightning port adapter is worth the $20.

JPF
JPF

I bought one while at the airport before my trip. This was great investment because we exchanged it a few times at the park and also at the airport. Only cost $20 at the airport. This company was smart to get into the Disney parks

Vivek
Vivek

I went on a Disney vacation last week and I forgot to pack my usual backup battery only to realize after reaching Disney. Then I bought a charger for $30 inside the Disney Hollywood studio. Then I tried to recharge my iPhone with that, I was only able to recharge about 60%. This is not very useful (my usual battery charges my 3 times). Now I was back in my hotel room and I have to figure out how to re-charge my fuel rod, I don’t have a power adapter, and I am not going all the way back to… Read more »

Brad "IronGoof' Minus

It’s a great convenience. So what if it only charges to 60%. Swap it out and continue to charge. I agree though, before you go buy one online for 10 and then use the swapping service.

jill adler

I thought the same thing! You can get the charger, the cord and the tips for $20 and swap all you want while at Disney. Sounds like a decent deal to me!