VIDEO: New TV Spot For "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"; Could That Be Grand Moff Tarkin?

VIDEO: New TV Spot For “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”; Could That Be Grand Moff Tarkin?

collageddsds

Lucasfilm has released a brand new TV spot for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and it seems to show the return of another big baddy from “Star Wars: A New Hope”, Grand Moff Tarkin:

Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) confronts Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher) in a scene from “Star Wars: A New Hope”.
leia8f-1-web

For some time there has been a rumor that we would be seeing Grand Moff Tarkin, played by the late Peter Cushing, from “Star Wars: A New Hope” in some form. In “A New Hope”, Tarkin is the commander of the Death Star and responsible for the destruction of Princess Leia’s home planet of Alderaan. Leia famously accuses Tarkin of “Holding Vader’s leash”.

Tarkin? “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and Star Wars: A New Hope”.

collagecvvccvcxv

The latest TV spot for “Rogue One” shows a character viewing the construction of The Death Star and more than likely it is Tarkin. There isn’t much to go on in the above picture other than both characters are wearing a similar suit and have similar hairstyles. I have heard for months that with the advancements in CGI, that we will see a fully rendered CGI version of Tarkin, possibly with a different actor’s body, but with a CGI Peter Cushing head.

Michael Douglas before and after CGI deaging:
collagedfs

We have seen this executed so well in recent movies like “Ant-Man”, in which we saw an impressively executed deaging of Michael Douglas and even more recently in “Captain America: Civil War” in which we saw Robert Downey Jr transformed into a teenager.

Grand Moff Tarkin as seen in “Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith” Tarkin was played by actor Wayne Pygram with the use of prosthetic makeup.
moff_tarkin-revenge-sith-cameo

So don’t be surprised to see a very overconfident Grand Moff Tarkin in “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”.

Source: Star Wars

Author

Scott Dolan

I’m not sure if you watch West World (and if you don’t, you really should!), but they did a CGI young Anthony Hopkins in one of the episodes that was fairly impressive as well.

Joe Hogarty
Joe Hogarty
Reply to  Scott Dolan

I really should watch Westworld, Scott. My friend raves about it and I have HBO. No excuses.

Scott Dolan
Reply to  Joe Hogarty

Yeah man, if you’re even remotely into intelligent Sci-Fi (and I know that you are), it’s a must watch. My wife even really enjoys it, and she’s NOT into Sci-Fi at all. If you took Blade Runner, the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, every Philip K. Dick novel, an Old West setting, and threw them in a blender, you’d end up with something close to Westworld. It’s funny, I remember watching the original movie MANY moons ago (it came out when you and I were kids), and thinking that it was such a killer concept, but could be taken to heights… Read more »

Jeff
Jeff

Scott, are done creaming over West World yet?
I watch & enjoy it too, but c’mon, it’s no Star Wars, which is what this article is about.

I’d very much love another look at Grand Moff Tarkin. I really enjoyed seeing Luke splatter him all over the Galaxy in A New Hope.

Scott Dolan

You’re right, it’s far deeper intellectually than Star Wars.

Connor
Connor

One thing that needs noting: Grand Moff Tarkin from “Star Wars: a New Hope” was not played by “Peter Crushing”. There is no such actor as “Peter Crushing”. A simple IMDB search would have revealed this. The late actor’s name was Peter Cushing. Finding this easily verifiable fact out required less than five minutes worth of Google fact checking. Hopefully more attention will be paid to basic editing in the future.

Connor
Connor
Reply to  Joe Hogarty

With all due respect, I fail to see how I was being arrogant. This was not a simple typo error. The same typo doesn’t come up three times in a row. I learned back in Journalism 101 that the first rule of basic journalism is fact checking. The second rule is fact checking. Now with the internet, and all of mankind’s knowledge in easy reach, there is no good excuse for such sloppiness.

Matthew
Matthew
Reply to  Joe Hogarty

I agree, there was a much better way of alerting someone of the error. It was pompous and pretentious. It is possible his spell-check unknowingly switched “Cushing” to “Crushing.” I’ll never forget when my friend failed a religious paper in college because his spell-checker switched “Nero” to “NATO.” Hilarity ensued- you can’t beat early Christians complaining “Damn you NATO! Damn you NATO and your pagan gods!”

Joe Hogarty
Joe Hogarty

Thanks Matthew. I do make spelling mistakes, and feel like a jerk sometimes, but dont need to feel like more of one. And I am grateful when people point out the mistakes so I can correct him. Cronnor lives in his own world. Not trying to be helpful, just critical.

I do try to get the news out fast and sometimes mistakes are made.

Scott Dolan
Reply to  Joe Hogarty

Yeah, his ranting wasn’t necessary. But hey, it led to a hilarious anecdote from Matthew! So there’s that!

Either way, the more I think about it, the more I hope they don’t end up doing this. Surely they can find an actor with a slight British accent that looks close enough to Mr. Cushing.