Walt Disney World’s Uber-Like Transportation Service Slated to Begin Soon

Walt Disney World is hiring drivers for their once-rumored Uber-like service, which apparently will be launching soon.

The system is being described in internal documents as “transporting guests door to door or point to point within resort and theme park locations”. Drivers for the service will be expected to provide information about the advanced technology features of the proposed electric vehicles, while providing information about Disney property and vacation assistance.

Disney is only hiring cast members with at least one year of experience within the company for the positions, and only those with at least 3 years with a Florida driver’s license. It is expected that those Cast Members be knowledgeable about all aspects of the Walt Disney World vacation experience so that they can answer any questions that the guests in the vehicle may have.

Disney will be testing the service as a more personal experience as opposed to the wildly popular Express Bus Service introduced last year.

0 0 votes
Jnoel
Jnoel

Love this concept. Especially for times when you’re tight on time and your Uber driver doesn’t know the ins and outs of getting around disney property.

Suzy
Suzy
Reply to  Jnoel

So do I! Most nights we are fine with the bus back to Pop Century, where we usually stay, but some nights the buses are packed or not coming quite frequently enough. The nights we stay extra late or just do not feel like walking all the way from World Showcase to the front of EPCOT, if we could take a private and much quicker mode of transport I am all for it.

It’s hard for people with sleepy or sleeping children, packages, and strollers on packed buses too.

Lucy
Lucy

We often use a taxi to get from or resort or to skip the long bus ride to Disney Springs. Any idea on when it will begin?

Jen
Jen

Fantastic idea, hopefully Disney gets this up and going as quickly as possible. It will make getting from resort to resort for early a.m. breakfast ADR’s easier and probably much more enjoyable than using a taxi. I think this service will be widely accepted and utilized. On a side not, I also hope Disney continues the express park to park bus service, makes hopping to multiple parks in one day extremely convenient.

TickIe PickIe
TickIe PickIe

GIVE ME ATTENTION!

James
James

Excellent idea by Disney, should free up space in the crowded buses also.

Jennifer
Jennifer

I am wondering if Disney World will still allow uber drivers to drop off in lieu of this. I am a pass holder that has parking included but I do not drive so I am hoping that in lieu of this Disney does not limit Uber drivers from dropping off and picking up.

Chris
Chris
Reply to  Jennifer

Yeah Disney just wants a piece of the pie. Besides I make more money picking up people at outside hotels and resorts

Orlando1
Orlando1
Reply to  Chris

Don’t worry Chris, this will have ABSOLUTELY no effect on regular Uber operation at Disney.

Ian
Ian
Reply to  Jennifer

From what I’m seeing, Disney’s Uber-like service will only take people to and from places WITHIN the resort. So essentially the actual Uber could still pick up and drop off people that want to go offsite to places like Universal, SeaWorld, Int’l Drive, etc.

Van
Van

I would look into this service pending price point.

Disney Pete
Disney Pete

Excellent idea to make customer convince themselves to pay for all transportation at Disney.

Thomas Debraggio
Thomas Debraggio

I’m a cast member now and I’m interested into it and how can I apply for it?

Dan
Dan

Transfer Genie on the Hub

Ken
Ken
Reply to  Dan

I also am interested but see nothing on the transfer genie, are you sure its there?

Chris
Chris

Will these drivers have access to the same rumors that the bus drivers do?

Da Fuk
Da Fuk
Reply to  Chris

Huh?

Disneydiva
Disneydiva
Reply to  Chris

Ha! They will probably have even more ridiculous inside info.

trackback

[…] Disney will be rolling out its long-rumored Uber-style transportation in Walt Disney World soon, according to WDW News Today. […]

Jen
Jen

We already use Uber, and this sounds even more convenient. Unless it’s a ridiculously expensive service, I guarantee that we would use it constantly.

The Colonel
The Colonel

It’s killing Disney that some Uber driver is making a few bucks and they’re not getting a cut.

Katesmom
Katesmom
Reply to  The Colonel

Very good point!!

Suzy
Suzy
Reply to  The Colonel

I think it’s a really clever idea; an Uber driver wouldn’t know as much detail or have specific Disney training, therefore couldn’t answer all the questions an official Disney drive could. Also, security? I’d feel much safer with a Cast Member Disney driver than someone I didn’t know driving their own car or a borrowed one which may or may not be safe for a multitude of reasons.

Billy Uber
Billy Uber
Reply to  Suzy

Huh? I am an Uber driver and keep my routes exclusively to Disney property. I am also an Annual Passholder and former cast member. I know more routes to and from each location than you could dream of, including those that may or may not allow for non cast member access. I get my customers to their destinations quickly and inexpensively. I make about $500 – $1000 a day, depending upon how long I actually want to work since I am semi-retired. There are quite a few fellow drivers such as myself. We still have cast member connections and we… Read more »

shane neil
shane neil
Reply to  Billy Uber

Really????? You paid Uber shill. You would have to drive 2000 miles a day to make $500with Uber. Are you telling me you drive 2000 miles a day?????

4000 miles per day to mkae $10000. At 40 miles per hour it would take you 25 hours always with a customer.

Why do you lie???

Tampa Mom
Tampa Mom
Reply to  shane neil

The only explanation would be that maybe people actually tip at Disney. They almost never do where I do Uber, but maybe people at WDW are programmed to throw money.

Fimfim
Fimfim
Reply to  Billy Uber

Ha Ha Ha, I need proof of that!
Few more months you can buy Disney… how about that… 1000 a day hahahahah

Dude
Dude
Reply to  Billy Uber

This is the most ridiculous message I have ever read. Orlando market pays $0.65 a mile and they take 25% of that as commission. To make $500 a day driving for uber you would have to drive over 1000 miles a day (on the clock, no dead miles included). That is physically not possible. At best, you can maybe drive 3 short rides an hour. You only get paid $3 a short trip…MATHS.

Chris
Chris
Reply to  Suzy

Not true as a lot of uber drivers are cast members and I provide my passengers with plenty of knowledge

Jerrod
Jerrod
Reply to  Chris

Lets not use faulty logic here. Just because someone does not work for disney does not mean they have No knowledge of Disney. There are clearly some uber drivers who have knowledge of Disney. However, this is more about consistency and quality of experience it sounds like to me. In this case, Disney would likely ensure a minimum competency level when it comes to Disney product knowledge. That can’t be guaranteed of EVERY uber driver (or any other service. It also sounds like they are going to wrap a premium concept around it like electric cars. That may not mean… Read more »

Orlando1
Orlando1
Reply to  Suzy

Suzy, I am a former employee of a Disney Property and a retired Marine. I can assure you that Uber drivers are now safe and reliable.

trackback

[…] to travel around the Walt Disney World property. Today we are hearing, thanks to our friends over at Walt Disney World News Today, that it appears the hiring process for these new drivers is now […]

Jeremy
Jeremy

Uber and Lyft is always on property and most of us are previous or current Disney cast members. Disney will probably charge more than Uber and Lyft.

Katesmom
Katesmom
Reply to  Jeremy

I’ll stick with the “free” bus transportation, but I’m sure they will eventually start adding the cost of the buses into the package, resort, ticket of dining plan.

Rob
Rob
Reply to  Jeremy

Hopefully they don’t start blocking uber and lyft drivers from picking up on property.

Progressive Music Lover
Progressive Music Lover
Reply to  Rob

Typical nasty Trump voter. Just go away, I am tired of swine like yourself commenting on this site.

Disney Pete
Disney Pete

Aw, what a snowflake

Jose
Jose

Not bad idea been driving since ever uber started here disney would not let us in the property unless i pay the parking fee back then has gotten better these days

Suzy
Suzy
Reply to  Jose

Frankly, I am surprised WDW let Uber and Lyft drivers onsite at all.

Conne
Conne

Sounds good been quite displeased with the buses

Elaine Storey
Elaine Storey

I’m from England & last night witnessed many young sleeping children waiting for our bus to hotel from H Studios for over 1.5hrs!! We couldn’t see any taxis for hire. Not v.g.. PR Disney/hotels!! This problem could easily be resolved.

Disney Pete
Disney Pete
Reply to  Elaine Storey

That’s because they’re creating the need themselves so you can justify the upcharge. Disney has it easy with these people. Instead of complaining that the busses are not fulfilling their intended purpose, they just go “shut up and take my money, I wanna pay for what you used to do for free”

I Met the Robinsons
I Met the Robinsons

Is there an expected ETA for this? We’re going to be there at the end of April/start of May. Will it roll out that quickly or will we just miss it?

Ben Dover
Ben Dover

Uber has become a race to the bottom. Most drivers are illegals with forged documents and don’t speak English. Who else would drive a car they’re paying on for less than the cost of operating it? 48 cents a mile with half of your miles dead (without a paying rider) is 24 cents and gas is an average of 12 cents a mile. I can see this as a logistical nightmare because 80% of the park attendees do not lodge on Disney property.