Get ready to wave goodbye to the people on the dock, because the long-awaited “Jungle Cruise” movie finally has a scheduled release date along with “Maleficent 2,” as Disney stated in an updated film release schedule through 2021.
Fans can join Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in the film adaptation of the beloved Disney Parks attraction on October 11th, 2019. The film had been in “development hell” for over a decade, which included an aborted version starring “Toy Story’s” Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. It finally began filming in May. The film also stars Jack Whitehall, Édgar Ramirez, Jesse Plemons and Paul Giamatti.
Meanwhile, the follow-up to “Maleficent,” the live-action retelling of “Sleeping Beauty” from the titular antagonist’s point of view, will hit theaters on May 29th, 2020. Angelina Jolie returns as Maleficent, along with Elle Fanning as Princess Aurora. Stars joining the sequel include Michelle Pfeiffer as Queen Ingrith, along with Chiwetel Ejiofor and Ed Skrein in yet-to-be-announced roles. Principal photography also began in late May.
Other changes include:
- “Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2” will now be simply known as “Ralph Breaks the Internet.” The film will keep its November 21st, 2018 release date.
- “Mary Poppins Returns” moves up almost a week to December 19th, 2018 from its original Christmas Day release date.
- An untitled Disney live action film scheduled for November 8th, 2019 has been removed.
- “Indiana Jones 5” has been pushed back to July 9th, 2021. The film had already been reported as not able to make its previously scheduled release date of July 10th, 2020. The film takes the date of a yet-to-be-announced Disney live-action film that has been pushed to July 30th, 2021.
- The previously mentioned untitled film replaces an untitled Marvel Studios film, which has been pushed up to February 12th, 2021. The change comes not long after the massive success of “Black Panther,” Marvel’s first February release. The film replaces an untitled Disney live action film previously scheduled for that date.