“Christopher Robin” Brings In A Dismal $25 Million At The Box Office

“Christopher Robin” came in second place at the box office, falling to the reigning champ, “Mission Impossible – Fallout”.

Christopher Robin brought in $25 million at the domestic box office falling below projected estimates by Disney for a $33 million opening weekend. Overseas, the movie brought in an additional $4.8 million, bringing its global total to $30 million. So far, Christopher Robin has only opened in 15% of the international markets, so it still has room to grow overseas.

Unfortunately, any hope for a Christopher Robin 2 does not look very good.

Source: Box Office Mojo

Star Wars Fanboy Neckbeard
Star Wars Fanboy Neckbeard
1 year ago

The dismal box office is clearly still due to blowback from Disney bowing to SJWs hellbent on ruining the Star Wars universe. As much as every REAL Star Wars fan is dying for a Ewan McGregor starring Obi Wan movie, losing that would be a small price to pay in order to save Star Wars and to bring it back to its Leia in a gold bikini prominence.

Melanie B.
Melanie B.
1 year ago

I feel like they have overestimated people’s devotion to Winnie the Pooh. The “living” stuffed animals make many people feel creeped out. They look like something you’d find in Sid’s room.

Michael B
Michael B
1 year ago

The movie was fantastic. The crowd was laughing almost the entire movie. It was much funnier then I expected and at the end it got a huge cheer from the crowd. Multiple moments had my in tears. I read some of the reviews that said it had no heart and wasn’t that good….I don’t know what movie some of these reviewers were watching.

Fred
Fred
1 year ago

The movie industry is a strange place when a quiet little family movie, beating all competitors to come in second-place against the latest sequel to one of the most popular franchises in decades, is a signifier of “dismal performance”.

It’s lovely and charming, there’s nothing creepy about plush toys that look like actual plush toys, and will do fine.

Billy
Billy
Reply to  Fred

I agree, Fred – given the low budget of this film, I would hardly call it’s opening weekend performance “dismal”. It’s numbers are very similar to the opening weekend performance of Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon” a couple of years ago. My wife and I took our kids on Saturday afternoon, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Not every movie needs a $100M opening weekend to be a success…

Jeni
Jeni
1 year ago

I really don’t like the character designs. I would never own stuffed animals that look like that. They really do creep me out. I’m not going to be seeing this movie,

Fred
Fred
Reply to  Jeni

They were literally modeled after many of the original stuffed animals that inspired the Pooh books in the first place. It’s a shame that you find such adorable toys creepy.

RebeccaMcK
RebeccaMcK
1 year ago

I know a lot of stock is put into a film’s opening weekend, but lately many moviegoers wait until the film has been out for at least a week before we go see it. Not just to avoid bigger crowds but also because our darn MoviePasses have started making some films unavailable in their opening week. So we won’t go until the movie shows up on the MoviePass app, for a theater near us. Christopher Robin might still make more money, just not yet. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

TonyM
TonyM
1 year ago

Movie doesn’t seem like a “must see”. Too much navel gazing between a middle aged man and his stuffed animal. Not sure who it’s trying to attraction in the audience. I thought Paddington was awful and perhaps Pooh is more of the same style. Might be worth a DVD rental or maybe not. I won’t see it even if free.

They should have just made it about Pooh and his friends especially Tiger.

Fred
Fred
Reply to  TonyM

If you’re a bitter person who thinks that a middle aged man talking to stuffed animals sounds “awful”, then it’s definitely not a must-see for you, indeed. That’s basically what it’s about, a middle-aged man reconnecting to his childhood and having a wonderful time of it. I really liked it, but then again, I think the two Paddington movies (the second of which has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes) are magical.

TonyM
TonyM
Reply to  Fred

Fred: Many People agree it’s not the movie for them. They must be bitter to miss it. LOL!!!

RebeccaMcK
RebeccaMcK
Reply to  Fred

Just saw it today and loved it. Theatre was packed. I’ll go see it again if MoviePass eventually has it, and to try to get a better seat further back. And I loved both Paddington films, too.