BREAKING: Stitch’s Great Escape at the Magic Kingdom Will Not Return, Attraction Already Dismantled

Remember when we told you that Stitch’s Great Escape was closing forever on January 6th, 2018? You may also recall that Disney reached out to other media sources on January 9th to claim that the Magic Kingdom attraction would return and that our report was incorrect. Well, according to MULTIPLE sources within the Walt Disney Company, Stitch’s Great Escape has already been partially dismantled and will never reopen to guests.

Bon Voyage Skippy… A shot of the final pre-show of Stitch’s Great Escape on January 6th, 2018

Sources indicate that the audio-animatronics characters from the second pre-show room (seen above) of Stitch’s Great Escape and formerly of the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter have already been removed from the building and torn to pieces. Sadly, Skippy, the last surviving, untouched figure from Alien Encounter has reportedly already been destroyed to be used for parts by Walt Disney Imagineering. Surely he could have been repurposed as a complete piece elsewhere, but I guess being a beloved and interesting piece of Walt Disney World’s history will only get you so far.

If you need more solid proof, the “holding pen” outside of the attraction’s first pre-show room was also recently removed to make room for more stroller parking.

Rumors indicate that a Wreck-It Ralph attraction is already in development for this space. As well, the first pre-show room is currently used for Stitch’s Alien Encounter Character Greeting for the time being.

Stitch’s Great Escape has been in seasonal operation for a few years now and has not been open since January. We are still awaiting an announcement or confirmation from Disney, but Stitch’s Great Escape most definitely closed forever on January 6th, 2018, as we originally reported. If you missed your chance to say goodbye, please enjoy our video clips from the very last show ever:

Also be sure to check out our podcast chroniciling the complete history of Stitch’s Great Escape, Alien Encounter, and all of the former tenants of the Tomorrowland Prisoner Teleportation Center:

All this being said, I’ll be visiting Rafiki’s Planet Watch on October 20th just in case…

c
c

Are you freaking KIDDING? They took apart SKIPPY??? WTH. :-/

S
S
1 year ago

I was kind of hoping it would finally be open in December this year so we could visit it one last time. I was never the biggest fan of this Stitch version of the ride, but remember vividly being both terrified and excited to do Alien Encounter.

I hope they put something there sooner rather than later. It is a great piece of real estate in Tomorrowland. Also, right per usual Tom…

Katrina
Katrina
Reply to  S

They should move Stitch to Cosmic Ray’s

Mel
Mel
1 year ago

Alien Encounter was one of the best theme park experiences of my young life. Then the RUINED IT. Good riddance.

Nancy Chandler
Nancy Chandler
Reply to  Mel

Agree.

BellhopDrew
BellhopDrew
1 year ago

Ding dong, ding dong, the wicked with is dead.

Also skippy too :(

BellhopDrew
BellhopDrew
Reply to  Tom Corless

We must honor him as a war hero

Nancy Chandler
Nancy Chandler
1 year ago

As a long time Disney fan I can say that ”Stitch’s” Ride was the worst Attraction ever!

Kate
Kate
1 year ago

I’m not sad I’ll never get to do this attraction again because… yeah, it just wasn’t very good… but am sad that Skippy and that cool stitch animatronic (I assume) are gone. I wonder if the next attraction will still utilize a similar theater layout. If not, I’ll miss that too because of Alien Encounter.

Kevin
Kevin

Not Skippy :(

Steve A
Steve A
1 year ago

I love Stitch, but this was doomed from the start. They gave him a lousy reskinned attraction, which was never fun and bordered on torture. It would have been much better as a classic style dark ride like Peter Pan and Mr. Toads.

Tim
Tim

Good riddance! Rest in…pieces Skippy :-(

Robert
Robert
1 year ago

Is the breaking news reportinh that your report in January was correct?

Tom Pinkerton
Tom Pinkerton
1 year ago

Wow. You must be very sensitive to what folks say about this site. Your “breaking news” article begins by reminding people that you said it would never re-open, Disney said you were wrong, and now you have been proven right. (Which you actually haven’t been yet, since nothing is yet confirmed, but whatever.) Not exactly great journalistic standards to stomp your feet and say “See?!? Look at how right we were! Stop doubting us!” Looks, I get it. There are some places that bash WDWNT mercilessly. And many of those complaints are perhaps unfair. But you are never going to… Read more »

Tom Seking Morrow
Tom Seking Morrow
Reply to  Tom Pinkerton

I visit before Christmas and this has been closed to me for years. The term seasonal is used a little general from one article to the next. How many seasons does Florida have?

Melissa
Melissa
1 year ago

Yeah, “seasonal” is sometimes code for “we’re keeping our options open.”

C
C
Reply to  Tom Corless

Because all guests hate it and they don’t want to admit how bad it is by closing it and have everyone rejoice?

Tom Pinkerton
Tom Pinkerton
Reply to  Tom Corless

Trying to give Disney the benefit of the doubt here, is it not possible that at the time you originally reported this they did intend to bring it back at some point, but later changed to a permanent closure? Is it necessarily true that they lied about it?

Nick
Nick
Reply to  Tom Corless

Tom P., for someone so willing to criticize Tom C’s journalistic integrity it’s more than a little incongruent to so willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt at the same time.
WDWNT gets a good deal of negative comments in general and people call out Tom C. in particular so when he’s proven right, especially after being told he’s wrong, his affirmation of such is appropriate.

Natalie
Natalie
1 year ago

Why does it seem like so many things are being removed/redone to make way for more stroller parking? Strollers are so annoying.

Michael
Michael
1 year ago

It’s about time, good riddance. Hopefully they’ll repurpose Skippy somewhere in Tomorrowland.

Lazy Viewer
Lazy Viewer
1 year ago

“…check out our podcast…”

Clicks video only to discover it’s 4 hours long! Holy cow, man. haha

KenR
KenR
1 year ago

Glad it’s gone. It was not a good attraction. Hopefully they will get rid if Journey into Imagination with Figment next.

Disney Mama
Disney Mama
1 year ago

It’s so funny to me how many people complain about the credibility of this website, yet here you are visiting it. I absolutely love this website, for better or worse, and appreciate any tidbit of news or information, no matter how small. I think everyone here does a great job, and I especially love the photo reports. We visit Disney yearly, and would love to go more often. This website helps me cope with the countdown to our next trip, and I visit here multiple times a day. All of my family and friends consider me their “go to” Disney… Read more »

dusty
dusty
Reply to  Disney Mama

indeed

Mike H
Mike H
Reply to  Disney Mama

Completely agree Disney Mama! I go to Disney once a year and would LOVE to go more often, but just can’t. This website gives me a feeling that I’m still keeping in touch with WDW. Some people just love being trolls!

Melissa
Melissa
1 year ago

Mission to Mars, which was located in the Stitch building in the 1980s, was my first-ever ride in a Disney park. I guess I’ll always be a little sentimental about it! ;)

if they’re going to the effort and expense of tearing things out instead of just locking the doors, I think it’s a safe bet they’re going to start putting in something new sooner rather than later. Here’s hoping it’s something really cool and futuristic!

Sean
Sean
1 year ago

It would be great if they could come up with a new attraction to replace it that has nothing to do with a Disney/Pixar/Marvel movie. There used to be such originality for the attractions but not anymore. That was part of the appeal to Alien Encounter. An attraction that isn’t Disney related would be great at MK.
Stitch made no sense – You’re all police space cadets and we are strapping you in to a chair with the most dangerous criminal in the galaxy!

Test
Test
1 year ago

But they just announced a live-action stitch movie.

DAR1974
DAR1974
1 year ago

I don’t know if it qualifies as a “hot take” but I never minded SGE. It’s not great by any stretch but it was a decent time waster.