PHOTOS: Fan-Inspired Disney Attraction Buttons Now Being Sold at Walt Disney World

In what seems like a recent trend for Disney merchandising, Disney has looked to fan creations for the… “inspiration” behind their latest line of merchandise: fan-inspired Disney Attraction Buttons.

We found them at World of Disney in Disney Springs. The sets cost $9.99 each and are based off a number of attractions, like The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, the PeopleMover, and even some on-trend, non-attractions like the Purple Wall. Check out the sets that are currently available now:

Haunted Mansion | Jungle Cruise Buttons – $9.99

Tomorrowland PeopleMover | Purple Wall Buttons – $9.99

Disney Attractions | Character Autograph Buttons – $9.99

Little Mermaid | Rose Gold Buttons – $9.99

Clearly these were approved and sent in prior to the Briar Rose Gold takeover.

All in all, there’s something convoluted (yet somewhat comical) about Disney starting off with giving free “Celebration” buttons, then fans profiting off of custom-designed buttons (featuring Disney IPs), and now Disney going full circle, ripping the idea from the fans, and selling their own versions of these fan-made buttons. You could say they’ve… gone full circle.

What do you think about this recent trend? Is the appropriation of fan-made merchandise a step in the wrong direction, or merely a lack of creativity on behalf of Disney? Sound off in the comments!

Linda Honrath
Linda Honrath
1 year ago

Did Disney pay the fans for their ideas?

disney6166
disney6166
Reply to  Linda Honrath

The fans ripped Disney off! The fans steal Disney’s Intellectual property, don’t pay royalties, and you think the fans are being stolen from? Disney pays hundreds of artist to come up with their Merchandise selection. Disney should be suing the fans for stealing there IP.

Alexa
Alexa
1 year ago

Definitely both!! It’s both a way to take the ideas from those that came up with them and also a lack of creativity because they took the ideas!! And the depressing part is that people will buy them. Same goes for Disney stepping up their T-shirt and ears game. Just a way to make money off of those that came up with the idea first. I know a lot of people will say that these fan creators are “ripping off Disney” and that Disney has every right to do what they want with their characters. And that the creators are… Read more »

Brian
Brian
Reply to  Alexa

Bottom line is it’s Disney’s intellectual property and while the company may have been lax for a while, a lot of the fans who created and are making big profits off of items using real Disney copyrights are lucky they haven’t been sued.

Dan
Dan
1 year ago

I don’t understand how people can legally make and sell their own merchandise featuring/based on Disney characters, ideas and names. It is Disney’s property.

Lauren Enriquez
Lauren Enriquez
1 year ago

You know, they could have collaborated with the big button makers like they did with Cakeworthy instead of just taking their ideas…

Customer Satisfaction
Customer Satisfaction
1 year ago

I’m not used to the idea of any buttons costing money and now I feel inferior with my “I’m Celebrating” button, and I’m sad.

Cj Brown
Cj Brown
1 year ago

Wow! I won’t disagree with the argument that the Walt Disney Company is legally utilizing their intellectual property …. but it’s so lazy on Walt Disney corporate to literally borrow from what some of us were obtaining everywhere, except the Disney store and / or theme parks, because the quality of merchandise Team Disney was offering was just rubbish !! Those comments that Disney fans are sheep for buying whatever is put in front of them? I already know people are sheep just by the fact they’re fighting to pay extra to get admission into Star Wars Land that’s not… Read more »

Allison
Allison
1 year ago

I took an HR mamaemt class once around maintaining positive culture. They talked about the concept of some time you just “give them the pickle” Yes this is fan art originating from Disney IP. It is those very fans that help motivate and keep the Disney machine going. So, both sides of the argument have valid points. Mine is Disney’s income based on marketable Nick nacks is so all massive that they should just “give the fandom artists the pickle” the fan art in it’s self is another form of getting the DISNEY dollars back in the company too…..

Karen
Karen
1 year ago

How I see it is they either rip off the fan designs or sue them for using Disney’s intellectual property. They don’t seem to be doing the latter so these designers should count themselves lucky IMHO and even flattered.

Azalea542
1 year ago

As a fanfic writer, I would feel honored if the original, official fandoms used my ideas. I wouldn’t even demand any money, just maybe my name in the credits. I write to share my God-given talents. As for the idea that fans making derivative works are wronging Disney and others who put out TV shows & movies, they make plenty of f&&&& money on their own. We have a right to express ourselves–or should. I’ve never been fond of copyright laws; I think they inhibit free speech & expression. Besides that, almost every single classic Disney film is based on… Read more »

Alisa Crisp
Alisa Crisp
1 year ago

I like the ideas, don’t like the buttons. Lack of Disney quality to them. Looking homemade and not having a true Disney images. I would have considered purchasing if they did not look like I made them.

Randi
Randi
1 year ago

While I don’t agree with Disney using the designs fan used, but I see mostly just the casual fan buying these in the parks. Those who would be buying them from Etsy are the ones who are planning ahead and will still buy them from individuals and not the corporation.