“Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker” is off to a good start at the box office, bringing in $40 million through Thursday night screenings of the film. “The Rise Of Skywalker” is also doing well overseas, where it has brought in $59 million in 46 international markets. So far, “The Rise Of Skywalker” is just shy of $100 million globally.
The estimate for this weekend’s box office for “The Rise Of Skywalker” is $160 million domestically. This estimate falls below the opening weekend for “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi”. “The Rise Of Skywalker” has the potential of being the first film in the trilogy to not open above $200 million at the box office.
The amounts below represent how the other films in this Star Wars trilogy performed on their opening weekends:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Thursday Previews: $57 Million (47.8% of Friday Gross)
- Friday Gross: $119.1 Million (48% of Weekend Gross)
- Weekend Gross: $247.9 Million
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Thursday Previews: $45 Million (42.9% of Friday Gross)
- Friday Gross: $104.68 Million (47.5% of Weekend Gross)
- Weekend Gross: $220 Million
Source: Box Office Mojo