PHOTOS: Construction Continues on Walkway Connecting Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and the Magic Kingdom (3/9/20)

Last updated:

Construction on the new walkway between the Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and the Magic Kingdom has been ramping up recently.

Grand Floridian bridge closed

As you can see, nothing leading up to this bridge is complete, but installation of everything else will be filled in with time.

Grand Floridian walkway

Most of the time, we see the bridge open to allow for water traffic to pass unimpeded.

Grand Floridian walkway

Grand Floridian walkway

On either side of the swing bridge, large areas have been left open. Looks like this area may be landscaped around the opening of the gate to accommodate guests waiting to cross.

Grand Floridian walkway

There’s also been grading done to the walkway itself to prepare for pavement work.

Grand Floridian walkway arch

This is an archway made at a certain height so construction vehicles don’t hit the monorail beam.

Grand Floridian walkway

On the other side of the monorail tracks, a smaller bridge has had framing set up for foundations.

Grand Floridian walkway

Both sides of the water are prepared for concrete work.

Once this walkway is complete, it will add a third mode of transportation from Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to the Magic Kingdom. Will you use this walkway? Let us know in the comments!

Susie Alvarez
Susie Alvarez
6 months ago

I can’t wait for it to open. I have to use a scooter and this will make it easier.

bob iger
bob iger
6 months ago

I think the archway is more to keep trucks from running into the monorail track (i.e. make sure the bed of a dump truck is down before hitting the track) . I don’t think it will be permanent.

Edmund
Edmund
6 months ago

I’m curious if the new walkway will be incorporated into future marathon/half-marathon running courses. I suspect it isn’t big enough to deal with the running crowds (especially the bridge).

Tim
Tim
6 months ago

Absolutely. To be able to walk from the Polynesian will be a treat! I’ve been waiting for this

April
April
6 months ago

I will 100% use this walkway

May
May
6 months ago

I have to miss this walkway this year due to coronavirus cancelled trip. I am so sad!

Kylee Jo
Kylee Jo
6 months ago

Our family will use this!

David Drewitt
David Drewitt
5 months ago

Hi Noelle, this is a great update. Thank you for posting these photos. Its great to see the main bridge in place, and also great to see the commencement of the second small bridge near the Grand Floridian. I would love to see photos of how the path is joining the Grand Floridian building if you have any?

Tricia
Tricia
5 months ago

Absolutely, I will use it!
Do you have any idea of how long it will take to get to MK using the new route?
Thanks!

Sue
Sue
5 months ago

We will absolutely use this path from the Grand Floridian. While getting TO the Magic Kingdom is a breeze, sometimes getting back, especially in the evening, can be a process – monorails and resort launches often have long lines. It will be great to be able to have the choice to walk back instead of waiting.

Suze
Suze
5 months ago

To be able to run/walk from the transportation center to the Contemporary will be amazing!!! I hope the distance can be measured for runners/walkers who exercise in the mornings before going to the parks. Going from the GF to the transportation center through the Poly is great but this will add a new dimension. Covid-19 certainly has changed things. (No trip to the Garden Show this year.) I will appreciate the “Pixi Dust” even more on my next trip in January 2021!