Orange County Mayor Says Walt Disney World Will Play Key Role in Post-Pandemic Reopening Process

With certain states finally seeing a leveling off of reported Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, the nation is preparing to slowly re-open many of its smaller businesses in phases, and now Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings is looking to Walt Disney World to provide guidance on how.

According to Click Orlando, Mayor Jerry Demings is taking the first steps to explore the potential reopening of some businesses in the aftermath of the pandemic, assembling a team of 45 business leaders to guide the way.

While the team will recruit small business owners from hair salons and barber shops, it will also look to theme park operators for advice on how to manage business as things begin to reopen. Demings noted that Disney could play a key role due to their experience as Orange County’s largest employer, as well as their experiences abroad with theme parks in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo. Demings stated about Disney’s global experience:

“They’ve experienced some things — in terms of the planning process — that I believe could be beneficial and constructive to us as we begin to respond to the very uniqueness of our county.”

Demings is working in conjunction with neighboring Seminole, Osceola, and Lake counties, since so many of their residents commute to Orange County for work.

At some point today, President Trump will be announcing his timetable for the governors of some states to possibly reopen some businesses before May 1. Plans for Orange County are expected to be announced on Friday. Disney has yet to make any official statements regarding a potential re-opening date or process.

Jason K
Jason K
2 months ago

Nah, IT NEEDS TO STAY CLOSED FOR A VERY LONG TIME!

Rick Thomp
Rick Thomp
Reply to  Jason K

YOU LEFT YOUR CAPS LOCK ON! And no, it doesn’t. At risk people and fear stricken wastes of space like you can stay home for a very long time, if that’s what you think is best, but your fear isn’t a real good reason to change the lives of everybody else.

Yerma
Yerma
Reply to  Rick Thomp

Yes it does.

Scott
Scott
Reply to  Rick Thomp

No, But the CORONA VIRUS that is and has killed ALOT of People is the perfect reason to stay closed. So, do us all a favor and go out in a very crowded public place and catch the Corona and suffer. YOU are the waste of space and YOU are exactly why the Virus will never go away.

Oops, I left my cap locks for some of the words!

Sandra
Sandra
Reply to  Scott

Why don’t you look and see how many people died from the flu and see how many business close

Scott
Scott
Reply to  Sandra

You are comparing apples and oranges, since there was no shutdown for the flu. Numbers for this would be much higher with no shutdown. Opening up opens travel from other areas of the country that have not reached peak thus allowing reinfection in FL. Would be better to wait then havd to reclose.

Emily
Emily
Reply to  Scott

Poor Scott. The only constant is change and nothing lasts forever. Calm down.

This too shall pass. God has a plan. People will be able to safely gather again. Life and business will go on. And Disney will open in the relatively near future.

Kim
Kim
Reply to  Emily

God does have a plan and I Believe Disneyworld will be open By June 1st 2020 ,

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Kim

Agreed, not 100% necessarily on day 1, but I think they will begin to open the gates around then. As Emily said nothing lasts forever.

May
May
Reply to  Rick Thomp

You don’t need to be calling names just because you don’t agree with someone. It makes you a jerk.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  May

I had to laugh when you are telling him to stop calling names while calling him a name. lol

Scott W
Scott W
Reply to  Rick Thomp

Rick, you are the WASTE of Space!! Stupid people like you are the reason we cannot contain the Virus. Our lives have already changed because of this Virus and Ignorant people like you!

Noah Beam
Noah Beam
Reply to  Scott W

Dude, if your unhealthy this virus will kill you, stay home. If not let’s work and entertain ourselves, enjoy life. People who call others stupid for there opinions, show their true intelligence.

Natasha sirugo
Natasha sirugo
Reply to  Rick Thomp

He’s just a troll and wants to upset people but I have a good feeling it will be open in June with provisions! ! Fingers crossed! 🤞

Minnie
Minnie
Reply to  Natasha sirugo

I agree.

Blake
Blake
Reply to  Rick Thomp

Ahhhhhh yes of course everyone who may be a little apprehensive they’ve actually been paying attention and maybe this feels too soon is fodder for your moment in the sun when you get to show every one in cyber space what a fearless man of the world you are….you are not only disrespecting the individual you’re addressing but also every lost life and their families…those are our countrymen and who you insensitive basement dwelling cave troll …we are supposed to care about them a little more than that …regardless ofbyour political leanings or even your personal feelings about it one… Read more »

Chip
Chip
Reply to  Rick Thomp

Man from what my mother whom is deep in the medical field said it is best not to go probably for a 3-5 years because. True testing and knowing will take that lkng for the true data to show, also if you open disney with people from all over the World the spread will be so harmful and like wild fire, especially if it comes back in just a few months in Fall. What then? Then you want see Disney for years so lets just pray God heals all this and we as a Nation or really Global keep out… Read more »

Joanne G Sheldon
Joanne G Sheldon
Reply to  Rick Thomp

You are a complete idiot.

Minnie
Minnie
Reply to  Rick Thomp

Amen! You tell him Rick! I completely agree.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Jason K

Stop yelling at me!

Chrissy
Chrissy
2 months ago

My mom is an at-risk person (she’s over 60 and has some health issues). While we do have trips planned for late June/early July, September, and December/January, we won’t be going unless things have considerably calmed down or until there’s a vaccine. I’m bracing myself for months of disappointments of not being able to go to my happy place.

Jerry
Jerry
Reply to  Chrissy

Chrissy you need to understand that the pandemic will not end until we either have a vaccine or 90 percent of have had the virus.

Your 60 year old mother will not be safe until she is vacinated. She has absolutely no business at any place where crowds gather.

I love my mom and if I were in the same situation I would cancel the trip for this year and hope for summer 2021 pending a vaccine.

CHRISTINE
CHRISTINE
2 months ago

Yay! Reopen. We are ready for some Disney Magic!!!

Raxel7851
Raxel7851
2 months ago

I’m sure Disney will take a slow go approach once the ok is given. Perhaps only opening a few hotels at a time, and possibly limiting the amount of guests in each park, then slowly ramping up. Social distancing in the transportation sector will be a challenge. But these issues can all be worked out. So let’s all keep our fingers crossed and not be like the ALL CAPS poster.

Minnie
Minnie
Reply to  Raxel7851

I think you are correct. My thoughts as well. I am ok with some restrictions as long as I can get some Disney Magic. We had a family trip scheduled for May to celebrate my grand-daughter’s 5th birthday and had to reschedule to July 4th weekend. I’m praying we can keep that and not be forced to reschedule again. Good thing she is only turning 5, and doesn’t realize that her birthday celebration is not around her actual birthday.

Tom Covid-less
Tom Covid-less
2 months ago

Here’s a little “inside baseball” for you guys. They’ve changed Project Gamma to Project Grandma since Epcot won’t be finished for decades and the CDC has reason to believe patient zero regularly ate at the ABC Commissary

Joe S.
Joe S.
2 months ago

I hope Disney begins a phased re-opening in mid-May.

Beatle
2 months ago

Disney can advise them how to keep everyone unemployed.

Madeleine
Madeleine
2 months ago

Yup! They should open up soon. Coronavirus is here to stay. If you’re scared, don’t leave your house and certainly don’t go to Disney. My rights don’t end where your fears begin.

Derek
Derek
Reply to  Madeleine

I’m amazed by the people who think they get to make decisions for other people. You don’t. I’ll be at Disney with my family as soon as it’s open. Can’t wait! Plus the Cast Members at Disney have always been AMAZING! I bet it’ll be the cleanest place on Earth. Just use some common sense folks. It seems to be in short supply these days. We can have fun and be hygienic at the same time. If you can’t …we won’t miss you at the Parks.

Ron
Ron
2 months ago

COVID 19 is not a death sentence. Leaving WDW closed after June would be a death sentence to WDW. They borrowed $6B new debt. But at $30M per day, that is only 20 days. And we’ve burned through that. There’s probably $50B to burn through before total collapse. That’s about half a year at this rate. And it’s not going to get back to awesome profitably in day 1 re-open. So it can’t stay closed 6 months. 3 months is about it. Once sea world or Busch gardens or old Town or six flags goes bankrupt, we’ll know that Disney… Read more »

Than
Than
Reply to  Ron

did you just say people can’t die from covid I-

Derek
Derek
Reply to  Than

Read it 3 times and didn’t see that.

Lisa McCallister
Lisa McCallister
Reply to  Than

Than, no. Ron said it is not “a death sentence” . Meaning just because you contract CoVid 19, it does not mean you will die from it. I mean we all will eventually die from something . Life in and of itself is a death sentence.