Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Relocating Temporarily Due to Unplanned Maintenance

Chef Mickey’s and Biergarten Restaurant to Reopen as “Family Style” Eateries at Walt Disney World Resort

A new list of locations indicating where Cast Members are being called back in for work ahead of the reopening has hinted at some of the changes guests may expect to see upon returning to Walt Disney World. Among them include changes to dining. While buffet-style dining is certainly a problematic concept in the wake of COVID-19, it seems Disney is considering alternatives in order to bring back some of its most popular restaurants.

Both Chef Mickey’s at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and Biergarten at the Germany Pavilion in EPCOT are slated to reopen as “Family Style” eateries, where guests are brought a heaping skillet of some of the restaurant’s most popular selections, with the option for unlimited “refills” of either the skillet as a whole or specific items. If you’ve ever eaten at ‘Ohana in Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort for breakfast (same for its sides at dinner) or at Garden Grill in EPCOT (the latter of which is also reopening), then you’re familiar with the concept.

Do note that out of the latest list provided, only Chef Mickey’s and Biergarten are included in their new, modified iterations. Other popular buffets like The Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom, Tusker House at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, and Trail’s End at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground were not listed, and it’s unknown if, how, and when they will reopen.

Are you looking forward to trying out some of your old buffet favorites in new, family-style form at Walt Disney World? Let us know in the comments.

George Kristoff
5 months ago

To be honest, this idea SUCKS. We live doing the buffets and love that everyone can get their separate items. Having to get only certain items and wait for the waiter to come and refill them does not sound at All appealing.

Joyce C
Joyce C
4 months ago

well mayb you should pick another restaurant or not do Disney right now

Jennifer Dunn
Jennifer Dunn
5 months ago

This sounds like a great alternative! It’s probably best that they keep it that way for a while.

Sandy Mailman
Sandy Mailman
5 months ago

Not sure how this is going to roll??? Hubs said no thank you…me, same….love the food, didn’t like the mass crowd around us then, sooo sure wouldn’t like it now

Jacob Hill
Jacob Hill
5 months ago

Honestly, that sounds like an improvement, not that Biergarten needed improvement. But unlimited schnitzel, fantastic atmosphere, AND I don’t have to get up? HEAVEN.

Mike C
Mike C
Reply to  Jacob Hill

But you still have to get up, go to the dance floor, and dance! ;-)

Joyce Andersen
Joyce Andersen
5 months ago

My family and I always enjoyed the Garden Grill and I love the idea of Family Style instead of Buffets. The Family Style worked well for the Whoopy Doo Review as well.

John dugan
John dugan
5 months ago

Vacationers are paying top dollar for a Disney vacation and all I see are cancellations and restrictions at every turn.

Doc
Doc
5 months ago

Not sure how I feel about being seated at a table in Biergarten with people I do not know. That as fine pre-civid, but I am not risking my family’s health for an oompa band experience

KimRose
KimRose
Reply to  Doc

Keep in mind the capacity limitations at restaurants. I don’t we’ll be seeing next to or near other people.

Linda Martin
Linda Martin
5 months ago

Have to say I love this idea mostly because I am not a fan of buffets & I like how it’s done at Garden Grille.

Carol Stewart
Carol Stewart
5 months ago

Not sure how this will work at Chef Mickeys. Everyone enjoyed decorating their own waffles and what about the characters? Hopefully they will be back

Meg
Meg
5 months ago

Why don’t they just serve it cafeteria style? Then we can keep the big selection and no one but the servers touch the serving handles?

John dugan
John dugan
5 months ago

Trails end was always our go to restaurant and probably still will.If we are going to get family style service everywhere then we might As well get it first at the trails End

Barbara
Barbara
5 months ago

I would rather have family style than nothing but I think cafeteria would be the best. I love buffets and was so looking forward to them.

Ashley
Ashley
3 months ago

Why not just do cafeteria style instead of making less options for guests. Was looking forward to the buffet