PHOTOS: Savi’s Workshop Now Selling Legacy Lightsabers in Lieu of Build-Your-Own Experience at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disney’s Hollywood Studios

It’s been lightyears since we’ve wandered around the streets of Batuu at Galaxy’s Edge in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Luckily, we are able to attend today during Cast Member previews of the park reopening. One of our first stops is Savi’s Workshop, which we actually weren’t expecting to be open. Rather than offering its signature build-your-own lightsaber experience, it is currently selling pre-made “Legacy Lightsabers” instead. This makes sense though, since Savi’s Workshop is typically extremely hands-on.

Social distancing markers on the floor indicate where each party should stand when waiting to enter the workshop.

A Cast Member provided a QR code for us to virtually access the “Legacy Lightsaber” price menu with details about each lightsaber you can purchase.

Few guests were allowed inside Savi’s Workshop at a time in order to enforce social distancing.

“Legacy Lightsabers” were on display, pictured above.

We certainly miss the original lightsaber building experience, because there’s honestly nothing else like it. But, we are glad that Savi’s Workshop was able to reopen, even if it is a highly modified experience. If you’re nostalgic for the original Savi’s Workshop, you can check out our first experience, led by the talented Mark Daniel, in our YouTube video below:

What do you think of the temporary workshop modifications? Let us know in the comments below!

2.3 3 votes
Notify of
guest

Reid
Reid
1 month ago

We were going in April to build a lightsaber on my birthday. We have rescheduled for Septembe, crossing my fingers that they’ll be doing custom ones then.

Lucas
27 days ago
Reply to  Reid

Agree because I am going in November, so I hope I can make my own lightsaber.

Nohemi Santiago
Nohemi Santiago
1 month ago

Appreciate that a lightsaber can still be obtained but disappointed and bummed that the one thing my son based his graduation trip to WDW for will not be possible.

Brian Mogged
Brian Mogged
30 days ago

This is very disappointing. I was hoping that they would have a way to at least buy the parts at Savi even if they don’t do the ceremony this might be the straw that breaks the camel back.

TeachSci
TeachSci
30 days ago

Disappointed, but expected. This was one of the big selling points for our vacation this summer. Postponed it to next summer, now, because the value of the trip does not match the price tag at this point… Hopefully the experience then will be worth the cost. Custom lightsabers would go a long way towards that.

Damon
Damon
30 days ago

Extremely disappointing. If they can let people into the shop, they can do the lightsaber building experience. I would think that it would be easier to be safe with building a lightsaber that it is to build a droid. All those parts are moving around the room on a big conveyor belt for everyone to touch. All you have to do is let half the people in for savi’s and give each person their own set of crystals and parts to choose from. Then sanitize all the unused parts before the next group. I really don’t understand why they are… Read more »

Lucas
27 days ago
Reply to  Damon

Agree. It is unfair to people that they can’t get a custom lightsaber, and the legacy lightsabers don‘t have the changeable kyber crystals.

Richard
Richard
30 days ago

will reservations be required?

Sam
Sam
29 days ago

Move the custom saber building online then. I’ll pay a little extra to have it shipped. That’s truly unfortunate, however I applaud Disney for doing its part in keeping guests safe. Heck move droid building and everything else online for purchase. That way Disney can make cash, people can still support GE from home, and scalpers are undercut

Taylor Sinclair
Taylor Sinclair
29 days ago

I’m so PISSED OFF about this, I’ve had a faulty custom lightsaber since I got it in February as a Birthday Gift! And I have now already waited 5 months to get it repaired! If the original never comes back I’m going to be livid with Hollywood Studios and Galaxy’s edge to the point where I’ll never go back!

Jen
Jen
27 days ago

This is the one thing my brother wanted to visit WDW for. If it doesn’t come back by our August trip, going to have to cancel.

Ashley
Ashley
21 days ago

The custom lightsaber is the only reason I bought tickets to Disney. I’ve been up in the air if I want to reschedule… this might be the deciding factor.

Tandi Vidal
Tandi Vidal
14 days ago

This just stinks. My husband and daughter wanted to do this so bad.

Last edited 14 days ago by Tandi Vidal