eab97a6c-ff29-4345-bf3c-eefaad15bc1a

New Joe Biden Ad Sheds Light on 28,000 Cast Member Layoffs Across Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort

In the wake of the 28,000 layoffs that have been affecting furloughed employees of the domestic Disney Parks, a new ad has been released from the Joe Biden campaign addressing the issue.

eab97a6c-ff29-4345-bf3c-eefaad15bc1a

A 15-year Cast Member who was recently laid off, identified as “Bessie, Former Server at Disney,” shares her feelings on the separation and how better leadership in Washington during the pandemic could have avoided it.

Seven months ago when we heard about this virus, we didn’t think that it was going to affect our jobs. Then we got the notice that we were going to be closing for two weeks and then next thing you know, we were being furloughed.

Bessie, who lost her job due to the layoffs, is concerned for the welfare of her family and her mother, who she supports as well.

President Trump, I do not believe that he’s done a good job handling the pandemic. I wouldn’t have lost my job, I wouldn’t have been laid off, had he taken all the proper precautions. Trump calls himself the jobs president — what about my job and everybody else that lost their jobs?

Bessie endorses Joe Biden as “someone that’s going to look out for me, for my family, for the American people.”

You can view the full ad on YouTube below.

The Walt Disney Company restored the salaries of its Senior Executives in late August, when thousands of Cast Members were still on furlough.

We at WDWNT are supporting these Cast Members as much as possible. You can help too! Help raise money for the Cast Member Pantry by donating directly through WDWNT.

The donation-based organization also has an Amazon Wish List as well as Venmo—their account is: @castmemberpantry. Cast Members can email Cast Member Pantry or contact them via their Facebook page to book a 15-minute “shopping” window.

1.8 205 votes
Notify of
guest

Bruh
Bruh
1 month ago

Hindsight is 20/20. No one knows if anything would have been different if managed by anyone else.

Gordon Dremak
Gordon Dremak
1 month ago

I hate that they are trying to use Disney politically. Technically the layoffs are due to the governor, not the president.

AdeeK
AdeeK

What a joke.

Gary
Gary
1 month ago

Please keep politics out of your commentary. I read these blogs and articles for Disney news. I don’t need to read who is endorsing Biden for president. Please don’t cover politics. Keep it politically neutral.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Gary

We cover Walt Disney World. This is a story about Walt Disney World. Showing the ad in question doesn’t equal endorsing anyone. Thanks tho.

Ahnsael
Ahnsael
29 days ago
Reply to  Tom Corless

Politics affect all of us, whether we like it or not. And this is an inherently political conversation when people lose their jobs over the decisions of politicians.Theme parks are not immune to politics, and there is a definite need for sites like WDWNT to report on theme park news, even if it involves politics.

Jodi
Jodi
1 month ago

Okay- this is so ridiculous. It continues to blow my mind that WDW cast members are being laid off since they are open and obviously people want to be there! However, the only people to blame are the execs at Disney. And honestly, if it were up to Joe- the whole country would be shut down so are you still going to blame Trump then? It is a business decision not a govt decision. Bottom line.

Annual Passholder
Annual Passholder
1 month ago

Biden will create more job losses by shuttering the economy. Look at California, how are those cast members feeling? Is that Trumps fault? No it’s gov Newsom. Florida has shown WDW can open safely.
Thank you for sharing ways to help but I disagree with using this platform to endorse Biden.
—Annual Passholder

Tom Corless
Admin
1 month ago

We’re not endorsing anyone, thank you.

Hector
Hector
1 month ago

I am speaking hear from California. Disneyland has repeatedly tried to convince our DEMOCRATIC governor (Newsom) to reopen our theme parks. Disney has shown that they have taken all the proper precautions in order to keep workers and visitors safe. However, our governor has repeatedly denied them the opportunity to reopen because the “science” doesn’t allow it. Because of our stiff necked governor, that is unwilling to compromise and work with our themeparks, Disney had to make the difficult dicision to let employees go. So…lets look at the bigger picture. Dont always believe what the media tells you on TV… Read more »

Hanie
Hanie
1 month ago

Weird… I could have sworn it was Gavin Newsom keeping California under strict lockdown.

Jeff Bailey
Jeff Bailey
1 month ago

Just for the record, it has been the governors who have decided to close various sectors of the their states’ economies.

RCW
RCW

The ignorance kills me.

Just me
Just me
1 month ago

One place I didn’t expect to find political messages, even though we all know where Bob Iger stands. What a disappointment!

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Just me

I can’t wait for the election to be over…

May
May
Reply to  Tom Corless

The election? I can’t wait for covid to be over!

Michael Allen
Michael Allen
1 month ago

I’m considering unsubscribing because of this article. First we had to endure politics with sports. Now it’s here? No thanks.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Michael Allen

I’m sorry we can’t control the news. We couldn’t control it when Trump was added to the Hall of Presidents either. Every story was a political war over an animatronic man. A presidential candidate talked about WDW layoffs, we have to report it. You can skip stories you don’t like.

Sean
Sean
Reply to  Tom Corless

Ok fair point about reporting news, but you could call out the bs and clarification on the facts unlike other media it was Newsome who refuses to reopen Disneyland. Not saying your site but alot of media has forgotten the reporting news is supposed to be unbaised.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Sean

That would be choosing a side, just in the opposite direction…

Sabrina Iglesia
Sabrina Iglesia
1 month ago

I would love to help in anyway. My husband works for Universal Studios. He got very lucky with his job so far knock on wood. But we know a lot in the Theme park family that wasn’t very lucky. With that said with any help we do we want to make sure it fully goes to those people who need the help and not to Disney itself. So please make sure you provide the proof we need that our donation will be going to those in need.

Rob
Rob
1 month ago

Wow can’t believe that this would be used. Talk about a low blow.

Mike Hansen
Mike Hansen
1 month ago

Find a different job Bessie. I think a lot of people had to.

Nate
Nate
1 month ago

It doesn’t matter which side you’re on politically, the 7-month shutdown and subsequent layoffs has much less to do with the president than it did with Governor Newsom. To use this as a political attack is not only stretching but dishonest. WDWNews, try to be a little less obvious with your partisanship, we’re all fans of Disney here regardless of left or right.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Nate

Hey Nate, a politician made an ad specifically mentioning Walt Disney World. We are WDW News Today, our job is to cover any and all news about WDW. It doesn’t matter what candidate on what side said it, it’s news. Stop making everything an idiotic political battle. This isn’t the place.

DocHart
DocHart
1 month ago

Oh please, this, is, absurd political pandering to people that are HURTING! If Florida didn’t open there would be more layoffs! Disland California is where the focus and blame should be!

John P
John P
1 month ago

Funny because it’s our democrat governor who won’t let them reopen.

Nichole Davis
Nichole Davis
1 month ago

this ad’s a stretch to say the least