Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Closing This Month

The popular Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card game is closing at the end of this month, after almost eight years of operation at Walt Disney World.

Due to decreased demand for the game, it will be closing on Sunday, January 24. Guests can still battle the villains until then and will be able to pick up their daily card packs. The Main Street Firehouse will then close for refurbishment, though guests wishing to drop off a firehouse patch can still do so with Cast Members outside.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom debuted at the park on February 22, 2012. Guests could pick up card packs at the Main Street Firehouse or at a recruitment station in Liberty Square. The more you played, the more card packs you could collect, with some cards being rarer than others. Certain cards were only available in packs for purchase, but most were free. Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party also had special limited edition cards each year. Some guests have reported being able to pick up 2019’s Halloween Party card this month, so it’s likely they are trying to get rid of leftover card stock.

You can view some of the interactive portal elements in our YouTube videos below:

Guests who have collected and purchased cards can still play the at-home version of the game, though it won’t be the same without the scavenger hunt feeling of running through the Magic Kingdom.

Are you sad to see this card game go? Let us know in the comments.

0 0 votes
Paul Albers
Paul Albers

Very sad.

Justin SMith
Justin SMith
6 months ago

My family is so sad to hear this. We loved playing this when we visited 2 years ago. We even closed out the park trying to finish a few of the stops.

Kathy
Kathy
6 months ago

SO sad!! This was my favorite thing to do! I hope they bring it back.

Matt s
Matt s
6 months ago

Very disappointed that the game is leaving. It is the only Disney activity that kept us engaged even when not at Disney with all the fun of trading and pursuing the cards at home with people all over the world. We enjoyed playing it and engaging with other fans at the park when we visited. It was also the only reason we attended the extra cost parties since we wanted the special cards that were released. Without the cards there will be nothing that makes me interested to pay 1k to go to those parties. Truly a big loss!

Will C
Will C
6 months ago

I know I’m one of the few but I absolutely loved playing on those busy days. Hated the people taking advantage of kids trading but man, there were some great people met playing over the years.

Timothy West
Timothy West
6 months ago

My wife is UNHAPPY about this. She spent more time doing this than rides when we went.

Paul Pederson

That’s cool and magical

Brent
Brent
6 months ago

AH! That sucks! I sitting here with a stack of cards next to me. I was excited to play with my daughter in a few months.

Susan Johnson
Susan Johnson
6 months ago

We have been playing and collecting the cards from the first day that they opened up to play ,we have came over and stayed on property just to play the Sorcerers game and trade the cards ( mostly with children that were trying to get a full set of trading cards I have gave some children almost a full set ,it was fun to see their faces) a very sad day that you are taking away something that brought so much joy to so many people and children

Matt R
Matt R
6 months ago

This is heart breaking. This is a game my kids and i have shared since it started. It was one of the magic touches left in the kingdom.

KP O'Malley
KP O'Malley
6 months ago

My 9yo is obsessed with this and is going to be heartbroken to hear he’ll not be able to play again. Many hours have been spent on our quests and trading cards. Really sad to see this go.

Tim May
Tim May
6 months ago

Definitely sad to see this go. The cameras needed a bit of alignment to get them working correctly. The marketing was never good for this game.

Mike Paluszkiewicz
Mike Paluszkiewicz
6 months ago

Super sad, this was a favorite for my kids… But predictable… A bunch of the portals weren’t working and they ever really added to it or expanded it. I hope they replace it with something similar. Always had hoped they would have done more like this in the other parks

Angie
Angie
6 months ago

Super disappointed about this! It’s such a fun way to kill time in the parks while lines are long or while you are waiting to meet up with friends/family, etc. BIG mistake and Disney continues to just take away fun things. All they had to do was have CM’s hand out cards + show you how to play. It was such little time/resources on their part.

Dean Barker
Dean Barker
6 months ago

Oh no! We loved playing it when we went in 2017 and looked forward to playing it with our son on our next trip. Another moment of magic being lost.

Daniel
Daniel
6 months ago

So sad. We have enjoyed this game for many years. I hope they replace it with something even better.

Megan
Megan
6 months ago

This is my daughter’s favorite thing at Disney. She has ADHD and loved interacting with villains and trading the cards. It is magic to her. We are annual pass holders. We go to just play all day sometimes, and that’s all she wanted to do for her birthday this year.

Ashley
Ashley
6 months ago

I hope it’s just closed for an update. I didn’t spend all that time collecting for nothing!

Heather
Heather
6 months ago

This really breaks my heart. My partner and I were planning to go to Disney for our Honeymoon and since he’s never been there, we were going to do this together. I’ve collected the cards the last few times I went, but I wish I could have gotten more of them, as well as the little board game (which I actually only recently learned about). 2021 is off to a great start… :(

SJames
SJames
6 months ago

Disney doesn’t give enough warning when they close things. If they would announce it 6, even 3 mo in advance, people would be able to get back before it closes. This will be such a huge disappointment to my kids.