carano

Actress Gina Carano of The Mandalorian Fired By Lucasfilm After Controversial Social Media Posts

According to Deadline, actress Gina Carano, who played bounty hunter Cara Dune in the first two seasons of The Mandalorian, has been fired after several since-deleted social media posts.

In the wake of Gina Carano’s controversial social media posts, Lucasfilm has released a statement tonight, with a spokesperson saying “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

A spinoff of The Mandalorian, titled “Rangers of the New Republic,” was announced by Lucasfilm in December. Carano’s character Cara Dune was expected to have a role in that show as well, although Lucasfilm has not yet announced a cast for the show.

Stay tuned to WDWNT as this story unfolds.

3 22 votes
Notify of
guest

Lynn
Lynn
25 days ago

ABOUT TIME

Skywise
Skywise
25 days ago

Yeah – she’s so abhorrent pointing out hate speech.

Steve Mermelstein
25 days ago

They can easily create another strong women character played by someone that isn’t hateful or divisive. I’m hoping for that. Is Michelle Yeoh available?

Jamie
Jamie
25 days ago

Wow. Absolutely ridiculous. I hope Disney realizes they made a huge mistake but thanks for helping me come to a discussion. Cancelling my Disney+. Tired of these double standards.

Curly Bill
Curly Bill
Reply to  Jamie

Well… bye

D b
D b
25 days ago

Guess it’s time to cancel Disney+ and just pirate the things a want to watch from there.

Jeanette
Jeanette
Reply to  D b

I doubt you could live without pumping that Disney+ in your veins considering your commenting on a WDWNT article.

Benjamin franklin
Benjamin franklin
25 days ago

Firing people for their political beliefs is wrong.

Tom Corless
Admin
24 days ago

Yeah, but work places do generally have social media policies and I’m sure she would’ve violated the policy of many companies.

Progressive Music Lover
Progressive Music Lover
Reply to  Tom Corless

I’m sure that Josh Gad’s disgusting tweets do not violate any Disney policy concerning social media posts.

Greg Landry
Greg Landry
24 days ago

Or John Boyega for that matter. Not to mention they brought James Gunn back after his terrible posts. Huge double standard.

Jeanette
Jeanette
Reply to  Greg Landry

What did John Boyega say that was bad…?

Bob from Toledo
Bob from Toledo
Reply to  Tom Corless

You stop using logic Tommy Boy, there’s no place for that here

May
May
Reply to  Tom Corless

I think it’s important that companies should give training sessions on what not to say on social media, and give extensive examples of such, so that people have no doubt what they shouldn’t say, and not make the mistake. And such training should be repeated. Or better yet, company who has social media policies should point blank put a social media gag order on all employees, that way they won’t be saying anything wrong to embarrass the company, ever, and the company doesn’t have to spend time and energy on this.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  May

I can tell you from experience that some employees will just try to work around this and push things to the limit anyway. If your name is on your account, don’t post anything that can come back to haunt you. It’s social media, it’s not a safe haven for all your thoughts and feelings.

Prince Naveen
Prince Naveen
Reply to  Tom Corless

That may be true, especially for most ‘at-will’ jobs/employers (which most of us work for), but what I think is upsetting Disney fans for the constant double-standard in the company silencing views they don’t like (Carano) and promoting views they do (Gunn, Kaepernick).

May
May
24 days ago

Firing people for their political beliefs is perhaps wrong, but it’s the popular thing to do nowadays, so it’s prudent for people who doesn’t have the popular political belief of the moment to keep their mouth shut and thereby not lose their jobs. I mean, why lose your job over something you say? There is no such thing as freedom of speech. Every society persecutes the outsider with the dissenting opinion, and the smart thing to do is to say what is popular, even if it isn’t what you truly believe. That’s what Disney is doing. You work them to… Read more »

Jillfriend
Jillfriend
24 days ago

Oh no! I loved her. I thought it was great theu actially chose a woman with meat on her.

Rroe
Rroe
24 days ago

Disney once again makes sure that Freedom of Speech will remain dead and the “Culture Society” will thrive. Hope everyone enjoys the new Socialist Disney.

Thomas Meagher
Thomas Meagher
24 days ago

So much for freedom of speech anymore……

Inigo Montoya
Inigo Montoya
Reply to  Thomas Meagher

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Earitch
Earitch
Reply to  Inigo Montoya

Not to you apparently. Freedom of speech only applies to those who agree with your opinions. Did Gina’s tweets hurt your feelings?

Jerry
Jerry
24 days ago

Can we cancel “cancel culture” already. This is ridiculous.

Stilgar
Stilgar
24 days ago

This just proves the points she was making with her post.

Mark
24 days ago

Wow – and they actually twist what she was expressing in her post – She was just denouncing the actual political environment – You can’t fire people based on their political opinion ! I actually canceled a trip to Disney in March because I am tired of them being so political…I loved Disney because it was a place were you can relax and cut from the outside world – it is not the case anymore.

May
May
Reply to  Mark

No, you shouldn’t cancel a Disney trip because of what Disney thinks. That isn’t fair. I mean, only part of Disney did this, and it’s not the Disney World part. It’s like hating the brother because the sister dumped you.

Emerald
Emerald
24 days ago

Finally. Took them long enough to drop her ignorant self.

Dan
Dan
24 days ago

I can’t believe the article says she “got fired” when in reality her role in mandolorian is done.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Dan

She was supposed to be in a spin-off program.

Bob from Toledo
Bob from Toledo
24 days ago

You mean a company can cancel my contract, that’s not fair, Facebook Constitution Lawyers Unite!!

Progressive Music Lover
Progressive Music Lover
24 days ago

What legal brilliance that Bob from Toledo puts on display. My partner and I are growing tired of seeings individuals such as Bob at the various parks at WDW. The blank looks of perpetual unhappiness while visiting the happiest place on earth, Not truly enjoying yourself, even though you are able to muster up enough effort to provide a half hearted declaration to others that opposite is true.

Bob from Toledo
Bob from Toledo

More like Oppressive Music Lover

Rachelle
Rachelle
24 days ago

I wouldn’t want to work with or employ someone who held beliefs hostile to my existence. That said, Disney has so many male heavy shows (snore) and her character was my reason to watch the Mandolorian. Not just a woman, but a strong, independent, intelligent physical female character. They seem to think only men watch action and adventure. I’m over it.

Melissa
Melissa
24 days ago

My two young daughters loved her character. How am I going to explain that she was fired for expressing her personal opinion? You can only have an opinion if certain groups of people agree with it? Where is Freedom of Speech? The Disney I knew as a kid is long gone. It’s sad.

Neko
Neko
Reply to  Melissa

Well, one, “Freedom of Speech” only applies to the government. Private companies can tell you you can’t say whatever they don’t want you to say.

Secondly… “Cara’s actress said some really mean and hurtful things, so they didn’t want to work with her anymore.” Really easy.

Tony
Tony
Reply to  Neko

Except:

This isn’t true.

Nor is this.

Bt19
24 days ago

She went viral on Twitter almost weekly for posting her rhetoric. While it may seem ok for some, saying things like masks are a conspiracy, the election was stolen, and that Republicans getting pushback for their ideas being equivalent to how jews were beaten and killed, these ideas are very controversial and make people feel uncomfortable. Like with any job, if your personal life garners too much negative attention to your company they can fire you. This isn’t unusual and I honestly did not feel comfortable watching her after some of the comments she posted.

May
May
24 days ago

Disney needs to make all employees sign a contract to never post anything on social media. That way they will never have this headache.

May
May
24 days ago

Firing people for social media posts is not fair because it prejudices against the working class. Look at JK Rowling. She said the wrong thing, but nobody manages to fire her because she owns her own company. So this is a system that only punishes the underling. Or, if the company isn’t under the influence of social media, then their employee gets away with posting whatever. For example, I have an employee who is full of ideas that social media considers offensive, but I will never need to fire him. You know why? Because all my customers are so old… Read more »