magic-kingdom-adventureland-bridge-shields-removed-2-3894204

PHOTOS: Shields Removed from Adventureland Bridge as Cultural Sensitivity Changes Continue at Magic Kingdom

As cultural sensitivity changes continue around Walt Disney World, the large shields lining the Adventureland bridge at the Magic Kingdom have been removed.

magic-kingdom-adventureland-bridge-shields-removed-2-3894204

The tall shields were visible past the Adventureland sign, but they are no longer in place.

magic-kingdom-adventureland-bridge-shields-removed-2-3894204
magic-kingdom-adventureland-bridge-shields-removed-4-4406859

Below to the left of the trash can, you can see one of the shields along the side of the bridge. These are what have been removed.

adventureland-bridge-shield-1084909

As always, keep following WDWNT for all of your Disney Parks news, and for the absolute latest, follow WDW News Today on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

2.1 20 votes
K Sullivan
K Sullivan
2 months ago

If it ensures that everyone can enjoy and never have to silently be offended or worried- as people of color often stay silent, then I’m definitely all for it. Adventureland remains beautiful whether there are shields or not.

LmDeab1971
LmDeab1971
Reply to  K Sullivan

People take offense to all sorts of things. Society is never going to create an all inclusive, non offensive space for everyone. It’s insane to even try. Visiting Disneyland and Disney World is not a “right”, and while I think a certain amount of “adapting with the times” is healthy, where does it end? If you’re that offended by some imagery that likely never applied to you, or to you family for several generations or more, don’t come to Disney. What happens when “princesses” become offensive to those who are not wealthy? Or when anthropomorphic animals are culturally insensitive to… Read more »

Mary Shearer
Mary Shearer
Reply to  LmDeab1971

Very well said, and I completely agree!!!

Joseph Kastner
Joseph Kastner
2 months ago

Why bother calling it Adventureland? Adventure implies danger and that is offensive

tvnutt
tvnutt
2 months ago

It’s interesting that Disney is making changes to its rides and some of its announcements (i.e. dropping the “boys and girls” welcome). However, they have no problem offerring their Disney Adventures to Vietnam where they include a tour of the war museum which glorifies the capture of US military vehicles, etc. and then allow tourists to walk through the former Vietcong tunnels that were used to kill US troops. Then the tourists can take selfies inside these tunnels. If THAT’s not insensitive to veterans and their families, I don’t know what is.

Doug
Doug
2 months ago

HOW ARE THOSE OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!???????

Zach Stumbo
Zach Stumbo
Reply to  Doug

You seem offended? Why are you shouting?

Janet Nyongo
Janet Nyongo
Reply to  Doug

LMAO…THEY ARENT! But you need to believe they are and that all of us need to be”separated” in our own “groups” and you can’t look at or appreciate anything from anyone else’s group. …So that needs to be pumped out in the stupid media. I cannot roll my eyes loudly enough. … And this sentiment coming from an “ethnic person.”

Last edited 2 months ago by Janet Nyongo
Randy
Randy
2 months ago

Because a shield is so sensitive… to who?!? Disney has gone overboard with this cultural sensitivity crap.

Zach
Zach
Reply to  Randy

*to whom. Cultural competency is a research based practice. I have contracted hours of training delivering it, it’s a focus of my PhD. Maybe you’d like to learn more about it?

Chris Singletary
Chris Singletary
Reply to  Zach

And maybe you should use your time more wisely.

John
John
Reply to  Zach

You’re getting a degree in “how to be offended by everything”?

Eric M
Eric M
2 months ago

I’m so excited that I’ll be able to tell me kids that I remember a time before Disney became a dumpster fire

Mnorail
Mnorail

Why???!!!!

Barf
Barf

This is dumb

Last edited 2 months ago by Barf
David Smith
David Smith
2 months ago

I am 20+ year annual passholder and lover of all things WDW. But these continual reactions to “cultural sensitivity” have gone way, way overboard. WDW is coming very close to losing its core supporters, me being one of them.

Prince Naveen
Prince Naveen
Reply to  David Smith

Indeed, core supporters who are fed up with Disney will ultimately vote with their wallets and the company will see a shift in the next generation of fans. Won’t happen overnight, but will eventually happen in the years to come.

Rob Brady
Rob Brady

What a joke

JLo
JLo
2 months ago

Might as well close down the parks. This is absurd. I’m offended that the parks have changed so much. Where’s my voice? Where’s my inclusion?

DARRELL WHITE
DARRELL WHITE
2 months ago

Are people this mentally weak?

Katie
Katie
2 months ago

This is kinda the stupidest thing they could do. It’s a shield.

Charlene Zawaski
Charlene Zawaski
2 months ago

We’re beginning to lose our Disney spark. So tired of being politically correct!

JLo
JLo
2 months ago

This is so true, but what’s PC about a shield?

B Vogel
B Vogel
2 months ago

Another stupid decision by Disney.

Joe
Joe
2 months ago

Did they take the shields down around the castle or just discriminating against African symbols?

Melissa Isom
Melissa Isom
2 months ago

Disney, please show us what people and/or culture was offended by those being there. Besides white liberals.

RogueOrl
RogueOrl
Reply to  Melissa Isom

Honey, I’m a white liberal and I’m offended they took them down so guess again darlin.

RogueOrl
RogueOrl
2 months ago

I’m a Dem but this sort of CArap just boils me. Before you know it, they’ll take away the hall of presidents because some of them were slave owners. This cancel culture is getting out of hand and utterly ridiculous.

Jenny
Jenny
2 months ago

Give me a break snowflake. If you’re THAT sensitive then maybe you shouldn’t be leaving the house. Whoever is in charge at the Disney parks seems way too worried about a select group of people and not concerned enough on how to keep the Disney magic alive.

Rich H
Rich H
2 months ago

Bending over backwards to please the few “offended” by the bridge accents is not a good idea and as anyone can see, it will not stop there. Some of this crowd will not be happy unless Disney is shut down. Bad idea to cowtow to the very few who are reading more into what it actually is. This is not about being offended, but rather power to make Disney change. Also a bad idea to remove them without replacing them with another “less offensive” accent. Now it looks less themed. Theming is what makes each land a more special place… Read more »