Finding Nemo: The Musical Permanently Closed at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park

Last updated:

Finding Nemo: The Musical is reportedly permanently closed at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Its last performance was in March 2020, just before Walt Disney World temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but sources indicate there are no plans for the show to return. Performers have also been notified of the show’s closing.

finding-nemo-the-musical-1-28-21-4971035

The musical version of the 2003 Disney Pixar movie opened at the Theater in the Wild in January of 2006, replacing Tarzan Rocks! It featured 14 original songs composed by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, the team behind “Frozen.” It also marked the first time a musical had been made for a non-musical Disney movie.

The musical featured larger-than-life puppets operated by the performers. Both the puppets and stage dressings have reportedly been removed (and even destroyed) from the Theater in the Wild already.

Update: On September 14, 2021, Disney announced that a new musical inspired by “Finding Nemo” will debut in 2022.

Watch our full video from a 2007 performance of Finding Nemo: The Musical below.

As always, keep following WDWNT for all of your Disney Parks news, and for the absolute latest, follow WDW News Today on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Editors note: This article has been updated to reflect the announcement by Disney made on 9/14/2021.

2 27 votes
Notify of
guest

Farrah
Farrah
9 days ago

This makes me so sad! I love this more than festival if the lion king. But I’ll be excited to see what they put in there.

beautiful gorgeous
9 days ago

My adult children are going to be freaking mad. I didn’t like it because it was long and the benches were uncomfortable.

McSylva
McSylva
9 days ago

Thank Triton, this show was terrible. the 40 minutes of this show felt like 240 minutes.

Impressions de Frank
Impressions de Frank

Fabian
Fabian
9 days ago

man, Disney REALLY needs to bring back ALL shows, parades and nighttime spectacular really soon.

abdul khan
abdul khan
9 days ago

I’m not surprised at all, the show was meh at best. The actors performances were very mediocre, over acting at times. Singing was over the top almost screaming like. Of all the Disney parks shows this was the least favorite. Though I wonder what becomes of the space, new show or demolition for a newer attraction

Edmund
Edmund
9 days ago

This is a shame. It was an example of an extremely well-executed musical adaptation.

I do we hope we find Nemo again sometime in the future.

Stephen A Merritt
Stephen A Merritt
9 days ago

I know cast members who swear this isn’t true — that the Nemo show is in fact returning, just not right away. Can you share your source for this?

Tom Corless
Admin
9 days ago

No, that’s not really how this works lol

Jane
Jane
9 days ago

Oh no, it’s our favorite musical show in all Disney parks! This is very sad.

Carla Anderson
Carla Anderson
9 days ago

Sorry to hear this. The show was imaginative and sweet – and got you out of the heat! Hope a new musical takes its place.

David
David
9 days ago

This was an amazing show! Really felt like you were watching a professional Broadway musical. Lack of live entertainment offerings at Disney at the moment is really putting me off wanting to book a holiday. It’s what makes Disney different to other theme parks.

Randy W
Randy W
9 days ago

This makes me more and more glad we went to WDW in 2019, it feels like the height of WDW’s former glory. Going back next year, but seems like so much is going to be different. I’m sure we’ll have a blast again, but the era of Fast passes and Magic Express is now over, along with some of the fun shows. End of an era, start of a new one.

Jason
Jason
9 days ago

I’m genuinely bummed out about this. While certainly no E Ticket attraction this was always a great place to cool off and rest for a while and watch an enjoyable show.😢

Brett
Brett
9 days ago

Wow. That’s awful. That was always a must do for us in animal kingdom. For a park that doesn’t have a lot of attractions or restaurants, it doesn’t make sense.

Aubrey Brackett
Aubrey Brackett
9 days ago

This isn’t a huge loss for our family. We found ourselves always skipping over this attraction after seeing it less than 10 times…to put that in perspective, we have seen The Festival of the Lion King at least 50 times. I look forward to seeing what show replaces Nemo.

Jay
Jay
9 days ago

I find it abhorrent that this article was published before the people associated with this stage were informed by the company. Are you so interested in a “scoop” that you forget there are people involved? There lives have been devastated and they find out from some blog?!?
Disgusting

Last edited 9 days ago by Jay
Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Jay

In what world is it ok for a company to decide to can a show, not tell the staff for months after deciding, and then someone being honest with the public is the one vilified? Also it was confirmed today that several people who worked on the show WERE told weeks ago, so let’s drop the fake outrage.

It is awful that they weren’t told and my heart goes out to them, but the outlet being honest with you isn’t the villain, direct your anger somewhere it belongs please.

lmao
lmao
Reply to  Tom Corless

he must be a dis twitter nut who cheered at the disappearance of your twitter for those few short hours

Jay
Jay
8 days ago
Reply to  Tom Corless

Many of my friends work there so I have seen the cost of this little article. And most of them feel as I do. So my outrage is directed EXACTLY where it belongs.
And trust me there is plenty of outrage to go around. But this belongs to you.

Tom Corless
Admin
8 days ago
Reply to  Jay

I’m sorry you feel that way.

Trent
Trent
9 days ago

Thats terrible. That show was pretty awesome. I’m not a fan of Memo but that show made up for it.

Daniel Walz
Daniel Walz
9 days ago

So disappointing. This was my absolute favorite show! I liked it much better than Lion King. Disney is so disappointing lately and I am no longer a life fan. Will stop going after we complete this trip we couldn’t get a refund on. I’m loathing Disney at this point.

@lulimagicj
@lulimagicj
9 days ago

So sad… this show was a master piece! I love it ♡ hope they bring it back some way…

Maria Sims
Maria Sims
9 days ago

Very disappointing. Well-done show. So uplifting. We are big Nemo fans. Sad to see it go.