Kathleen Kennedy Says Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson Still Working on Star Wars Films, Lando & Rogue Squadron Still Planned

Shannen Ace

Rian Johnson & Kathleen Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy Says Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson Still Working on Star Wars Films, Lando & Rogue Squadron Still Planned

Comments by Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy about upcoming “Star Wars” films have appeared on r/StarWarsLeaks. These comments are from an Empire Magazine interview that will be printed in the May 11 issue.

Kathleen Kennedy on “Star Wars” Movies

Kennedy said Taika Waititi is still “working away” on his “Star Wars” film. “He’s just, and he won’t get mad at me for saying this, slow,” she said. “We’ve got a couple of acts, we need a third.” Waititi will direct and likely appear in the film.

Rian Johnson is also supposed to have a “Star Wars” trilogy in the works, but the director has been busy. Kennedy said, “Rian and I talk all the time. He just keeps getting more and more successful, and it keeps moving things back further and further. One day we’ll figure this out.”

Johnson, the filmmaker behind “The Last Jedi,” has been working on a continuation of popular Benoit Blanc movies (“Knives Out,” “Glass Onion”) for Netflix and the “Poker Face” series on Peacock.

In 2020, Lucasfilm announced the “Star Wars: Lando” series and the “Star Wars: Rogue Squadron” film.

Donald Glover is set to reprise his role as a young Lando Calrissian, who he previously portrayed in “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” Glover recently said of the project, “We’re talking about it. That’s as much as I can say without Kathleen Kennedy hunting me down.”

“Rogue Squadron” was to be directed by Patty Jenkins and originally slated for a Christmas 2023 release. It was delayed and then removed from Disney’s release schedule entirely. Jenkins said in December that she was still developing “Rogue Squadron,” but sources with knowledge of the production said it is no longer in active development at Lucasfilm.

Still, Kennedy said, “‘Lando’ is still on the books, and ‘Roque Squadron’ is still on the books. We just want them to be great.”

Other Future “Star Wars” Movies

Star Wars logo

Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson exited their Rey-focused “Star Wars” film after turning in a script and Lindelof recently revealed he was asked to leave the project.

Lucasfilm did announce a new “Star Wars” film featuring Rey leading a “new Jedi Order,” with Daisy Ridley returning. It will be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and take place 15 years after “The Rise of Skywalker.”

James Mangold will direct a pre-Old Republic film about the origins of the Force. Dave Filoni will direct a film taking place between “The Mandalorian” and “The Force Awakens.”

It was announced in 2019 that Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige would also be making a new “Star Wars” film. He even brought on screenwriter Michael Waldron as of May 2022. This film has reportedly been shelved.

For the latest Disney Parks news and info, follow WDW News Today on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram.

Author

  • Shannen Michaelsen

    Shannen has been a Disney Parks fan and lover of dogs since childhood, despite Pluto's attempt to eat Shannen's Minnie Mouse doll the first time they met. They've made up now. You can email Shannen at shannen@wdwnt.com.