While celebrating the 18th anniversary of Hong Kong Disneyland on Tuesday, September 12, representatives and executives shared another look at World of Frozen. The new land will open on November 20, 2023.
Earlier today, Hong Kong Disneyland shared some video from the land, including the first on-ride footage of Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs.
Disney Magical Kingdom Blog shared a video of the presentation featuring a sneak peek into World of Frozen:
Below are photos of the land and a press release from Disney.
World of Frozen Village
The World of Frozen land includes everything from Elsa’s Ice Palace to the Anna and Elsa figures on the clock tower. The clock is above the entrance to Frozen Ever After.
There are Nordic details throughout.
The Golden Crocus Inn is named for the symbol of Arendelle and is the main dining venue of the land.
Northern Delights will serve sweet treats.
One of the façades is for Trustworthy Cartography.
One of the merchandise locations is Tick Tock Toys & Collectibles.
Arendelle is celebrating the Official Summer Snow Day when guests visit.
Boats docked in Arendelle include the skiff Anna fells into in “Frozen” when she first meets Hans.
Arendelle Castle is decorated with shields and ice.
The snowflake-inspired Friendship Fountain resembles those created by Elsa in “Frozen.”
Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs
Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs is a brand-new roller-coaster through the mountains next to Arendelle.
Guests will enter through Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post (and Sauna).
The ride vehicles resemble a series of sleighs.
Frozen Ever After
Frozen Ever After is almost an exact copy of the EPCOT ride.
A major difference we’ve already noted is that the characters will have animatronic faces instead of projected faces.
This appears to be one of the sweet treats that will be available at Northern Delights.
While these dishes will be available at Golden Crocus Inn.
There will also be a special Make-A-Wish dessert.
Cast Member costumes are inspired by the outfits worn by background and minor characters in the “Frozen” series.
One image shows off some of the merchandise that will be available, from an actual Arendelle map to pins.
Guests will be able to get special “Frozen” decorations and merchandise in their Hong Kong Disneyland hotel room.
HONG KONG, SEPTEMBER 12, 2023 — Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is getting ready for the opening of World of Frozen, the world’s first and largest “Frozen” themed land, on November 20. Inspired by the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ films, “Frozen” and “Frozen 2,” which are among the biggest animated films of all time, World of Frozen will transport guests to the cinematic and living land – Arendelle. Guests will delve into this immersive travel destination, with its captivating stories, beloved characters, culture, stunning landscapes, enchanting music, and cutting-edge technology for the first time in forever by celebrating Summer Snow Day and enjoying the fun-filled attractions such as Frozen Ever After and Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs.
Michael Moriarty, managing director of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, said: “Today, on the 18th anniversary of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, we’re thrilled to be sharing more details on World of Frozen. World of Frozen is an integral part of the park’s latest expansion and growth, and with the launch on November 20, we look forward to welcoming even more guests from around the world. We are committed to continually delivering new and innovative offerings so that our guests can enjoy a magical experience with each and every visit to the resort — we can’t wait from [sic] them to explore the kingdom of Arendelle.”
Explore the living land of Arendelle and celebrate Summer Snow Day
Summer Snow Day commemorates the day that Anna saved Elsa and the kingdom with an act of true love. Guests are invited to visit this whimsical realm and rejoice in the lively festivities!
World of Frozen puts a number of iconic scenes in the “Frozen” movies to life. Some of its signature spots include the North Mountain, with its peak as the highest point in Arendelle; the Ice Palace where Elsa unleashes her icy powers freely for the first time; Arendelle Castle, home of the royal family; the Bay of Arendelle, featuring the small fishing boat that Anna fell on when she met Prince Hans; Clock Tower where Anna danced with Prince Hans; and Friendship Fountain where Elsa uses her magical powers to freeze its water into beautiful snowflake ornamentations. Guests can also immerse themselves in the joy of the Summer Snow Day celebration by taking a Frozen Ever After journey to meet Elsa at her Ice Palace that is open to all for the first time, embarking on a wondrous adventure on Wandering Oaken’s Sliding Sleighs, enjoying a unique interactive play experience with Anna and Elsa at Playhouse in the Woods.
To prepare for the Summer Snow Day celebration, guests can immerse in the enchanting festivities with a special outfit. Wear rosemaling patterned clothes, add glittering ice-inspired face paint, and style the hair like Elsa or wear a cape like Anna to show the love for the royal sisters.
No visit to Arendelle would be complete without indulging in its exquisite cuisine and exploring its charming shops, which are deeply rooted in Nordic history and culture. Do not miss Golden Crocus Inn and Bayside Wharf for a taste of local delicacies inspired by traditional Nordic dishes, grab a bite at Forest Fare or sweet treats at Northern Delights. Visit Tick Tock Toys & Collectibles and Traveling Traders for a delightful shopping experience, where guests can find the perfect souvenirs to bring home cherished memories. Complete the magical Arendelle journey by staying at one of the enchanting resort hotels and participate in themed recreation activities that will make the Arendelle experience truly unforgettable.
Pushing the boundaries of creativity to bring “Frozen” to life
World of Frozen is the next level of immersive storytelling like never before. The world-class expertise of Walt Disney Imagineering pushed the boundaries of creativity to bring Arendelle, the home of Anna and Elsa, to life through extensive research with inspiration from Norway.
Michel Den Dulk, executive creative director at Walt Disney Imagineering, stated: “I am excited to see this project come to life. This idea started as a sketch seven years ago and has since transformed into a beautiful land that will enchant guests with magical experiences! The collaborative efforts across disciplines have made World of Frozen a reality, creating unforgettable memories that will last for a lifetime.”
- Perfectly blends the unique natural landscape of Hong Kong – World of Frozen seamlessly integrates with Lantau Island’s natural landscape and the design of North Mountain, providing guests with expansive views of both. The seamless transition between artificial landforms and natural surroundings embraces guests entirely in World of Frozen.
- Integrates inspiration from Norway to create a must-visit travel destination – Inspired by Norway the themed land features a town that allows guests to discover Arendelle. The scenery, architectural design, clothing and cuisine, are all infused with rich Norwegian elements, including “dragestil” (dragon style) architectural style, Balestrand’s asymmetrical architecture, and rosemaling floral decorative paintings.
- Dances between reality and magic through enchanting music – The team worked with award-winning composer, Andrew Cottee, to rearrange the iconic music from the movies for World of Frozen, with various tunes played in different locations throughout the land, to tell stories with strong emotional connections. The cinematic music builds the perfect ambience for guests to feel the story of “Frozen” with different senses.
- Re-creates cinematic features with meticulous craftsmanship and extensive research – Disney Imagineers spent over three years in concept and design, working in partnership with artists and storytellers from Walt Disney Animation Studios, to accurately depict cinematic features in World of Frozen. The team analyzed ice textures, colors, and how these relate to Elsa’s emotions to recreate her Ice Magic. Attention was paid to every detail including various forms of ice and snow, and different materials were studied and experimented to truly represent the Ice Palace and icy ornaments.
- Brings “Frozen” characters to life through advanced technology – Frozen Ever After at Hong Kong Disneyland features Walt Disney Imagineering’s most advanced, fully-electric Audio-Animatronics® figures, which bring to life characters like Anna, Elsa and Kristoff with amazing realism.
Amanda Chiu, senior producer at Walt Disney Imagineering Asia, stated: “Bringing our characters to life, featuring our unique, state-of-the-art Audio-Animatronics® figures, is a thrilling aspect of this project. It is a great testament to the amazing talents at Walt Disney Imagineering who made the impossible possible. We share the same goal with Walt Disney Animation Studios to create incredible entertainment for people of all ages, using innovative technology to tell a compelling, heartfelt story like never before.”
To promote the enchanting beauty of Arendelle, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is delighted to announce today that renowned local travel guru Dodo Cheng has been designated as the Arendelle travel ambassador for Hong Kong! With a wealth of travel experiences, Dodo will be able to share her enchanting journey in Arendelle and travel tips to the guests. Meanwhile, Olaf is appointed as the global ambassador by Anna and Elsa to extend a heartfelt invitation to all corners of the globe for the Summer Snow Day celebration in Arendelle!