RUMOR: Disney Vacation Club To Build First Moderate Resort Villas at Caribbean Beach

It’s finally happening: the Disney Vacation Club has run out of Deluxe Resorts to expand upon, so it looks like they may be turning their attention to their first moderate resort, which in fact, fittingly, was Disney World’s very first moderate resort.

caribbean-beach-resort-00-full

The proposed new location at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort would be at the southern edge of the resort, wedged between the existing hotel and Disney’s Pop Century Resort along Victory Way.

CBRDVC

It is unknown when construction might begin on the proposed project (it is still pending final approval at this time), but it is expected to be the next Disney Vacation Club resort constructed after the new expansion at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge.

Mike Pinault
Mike Pinault

If the dvc announced the first moderate resort villas at caribean beach, would you add a pirate them pool there?

Jeff
Jeff

Moderate resort with moderate amenities. Does DVC plan to use moderate points?

lenore
lenore
Reply to  Jeff

Good question and I hope their answer is yes. To go for Easter or Christmas the points are insane for GFV and BLT

Chris A
Chris A
Reply to  Jeff

Think of this as a SSR or an OKW resort. They are like moderate level resorts, the points are cheaper there then at some of the deluxe resorts and they use the outside enterance to the rooms and they don’t have a signature dinning restaurant. But I bet you will still pay DVC prices for these points.

Mike Wyatt

I dont think they are going to make it a moderate. it might be attached to a moderate but be classified a deluxe. How could they sell it as a moderate and then allow you to use those points for the deluxe resorts? Dont think that will happen.

Matt Fitzsimmons
Matt Fitzsimmons
Reply to  Mike Wyatt

It would probably just cost less points to stay there than at a deluxe and therefore ownership would cost less but you would also buy less points upfront. you could then borrow points from the following year or use banked points from a previous year to use them at a deluxe resort. cost per point will most likely be the same. You would just need less points to stay there

John
John

This sounds like a disaster and I think would cheapen DVC overall. It needs to be a new stand alone, add additional rooms at Yacht Club ,or take over additional buildings at existing DVC properties. As members we all expect a certain atmosphere and level of amenities and a good part of that is based on the actual class of the resort. I think most members would shy away from a moderate property leaving less and less rooms at the deluxe resorts as more members buy in. I doubt DVC would make points less than current resorts so why book… Read more »

Denise Trainor
Denise Trainor

I think the warm welcome we received when we stayed at the Caribbean Beach beat out the tepid welcome we received as new homeowners at Saratoga Springs would make me want to stay there! The food court was awesome and the staff very helpful! If we used less points to stay there– we could go more often! I’m in!

Cindy
Cindy

If this happens, it won’t be a “moderate”. It will be a DVC, priced at DVC prices (well over 125/pt), points would be reflective of some of the older DVC resorts, where you can still get a studio for 12 points per night depending on day of week and time of year.

The only reason I can see Disney considering adding this, is they know those newer developments have priced out many of the young families, and want their money before they find out about resale opportunities.

Dave
Dave

I don’t see why Disney could not pull this off. As long as the point structure per night is in line with this being a moderate resort, I’m sure they can make it work. The price DVC charges per point will probably not decrease from where it is right now with their current DVC resorts, but the number of points you need to use per night to stay a moderate DVC resort would have to be significantly less. A tiered level already exists within DVC when you look at the points per night difference in similar size accommodations between Saratoga… Read more »

John
John
Reply to  Dave

Not a snob at all Dave. In fact I’m a former cast member that will still greet guest that I see in the halls or elevators, pick up trash I see on the ground and even hold the door open for a lady. I know about guest service and I know how hard cast members work. I’m the farthest from entitled and I feel a special bond with all cast and DVC members. But how much lower can we go per night on points? You can stay in studios from 8-16 points per night Sun-Thursday from Value to Magic season… Read more »

Rich
Rich
Reply to  John

As another DVC member. I don’t have a problem with this, or see it devalue the program. You can’t deny that the last few expansions have had higher and higher price points. Having a new resort that might cost less, could be good for several reasons. First…I could go more. Would I go to a moderate resort for 2 trips a year, or longer trips – sure. Heck, I pay cash and go to value resorts if I want to be there. I love the deluxe resorts but they are not mandatory. Second, if the rooms were cheaper…then possibly the… Read more »

Laurie
Laurie
Reply to  John

Families of 5 have to, at a minimum, spend 40-50% more points for 20% more family. Many of the current DVC properties only accomodate 4, so the extra expense prices lots of families out. We love the moderate resorts when we stay, as Port Orleans-Riverside and Caribbean Beach actually accomodate my family with the murphy bed. If there was a moderate DVC, we could afford a little extra for extra space for our larger-than-2-child family.

Alice West
Reply to  Dave

I don’t think its being “snobbish” at all. it’s a legitimate concern. I purchased a time share at a premium price, now that system is moving into a totally different market, what does that do to the value of my points???

Alice West
Reply to  Alice West

Now I don’t think I’m “entitled” to anymore than what I pay for. I go deluxe because that’s what I enjoy and I’m willing to sacrifice. I don’t think I’m better or anything like that. think of it this way, say you pay premium for a Castle view at BLT’s then you find out that the same view is being offered at a considerably cheaper price, I would definitely be a bit peeved

Rich
Rich
Reply to  Alice West

I would imagine that the points would be similar in the ‘price per point’, but a moderate would cost less per night to stay there. There is a big difference between a BLT 1BR caste view, and OKW for example, or AK value rooms. I also assumed that if the points per week were less at a moderate then there might be 75-100 point packages available to new DVC member. Enough to stay there, but not enough to stay at Poly bungalows.

Tony
Tony
Reply to  Dave

I agree Dave…Disney will probably sell these points like other resorts but the per night cost will be lower

Jeff
Jeff

If true, the CBR better add a “real” bar/lounge.

Johnny
Johnny

I see this working in one of two ways. First, the create a whole new DVC point system that is not interchangeable with the current premium DVC. You would have to pay a fee in order to access the premium system. Second way is that this will just become a premium DVC like Bay Lake tower. If a moderate DVC system was created, I wonder is all member benefits would be the same as current benefits, or just a lesser, moderate version? I suspect the later.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Johnny

I don’t think the moderate DVC resort would necessitate a whole new point system. Old Key West, while still being classified a Deluxe Resort, has the lowest points per night of the DVC resorts in WDW and Bay Lake Tower has one of the higher points per night. If the points per night to stay at the CBR resort were 25% less than Old Key West, that would probably be a fair value. Based on this point structure you could stay 7 nights in a 1-bedroom villa during the Dream Season at CBR for 153 points, or 199 points at… Read more »

Larry
Larry

Inevitable move by Disney. The crowd is not what it used to be. And their point system can make this work. I’m sure value DVCs would do well too. The snobbish crowd isn’t going to sustain Disney’s increasing crowds and thinning service.

CJ
CJ

I think DVC will make this a deluxe resort with a separate entrance. I like the location being so close to EPCOT.

Dan
Dan

Since opinions are like applesauce (is that how the saying goes?) Here’s my take: I see this as the first all studio DVC. Room similar or slightly larger in size to CBR. Sleeping up to 5. With no patios or balconies. I see the Main Area” similar to OKW but smaller (I don’t want to say downgraded) Lobby, Pool, Gift shop, Food court. No table service. When it comes to price per points. I see no difference in price. When it comes to points per night. I see it similar to OKW and SS.Maybe even a little higher. Why? Location… Read more »

trackback

[…] a rumor, so don’t treat it as gospel just yet. WDW News Today reported that Caribbean Beach would become the first Moderate Resort to participate in the DVC program. With occupancy rates so strong at Disney’s finest hotels, […]