BREAKING: Wonders of Life Pavilion at Epcot No Longer Festival Center, New Attractions Coming?

With the recent roof refurbishment of the pavilion, we assumed that the former Wonders of Life was getting ready for another run as the Festival Center for the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival beginning next week. Apparently something bigger is planned for this space as Disney announced today that it will no longer be the Festival Center for the event as it has for over 10 years now.

Photo from @BacksideofMagic on twitter
Photo from @BacksideofMagic on twitter

Early this morning, a number of executives from the park and Walt Disney Imagineering were spotted walking into the pavilion in a large group. This coupled with the roof refurbishment and the exit of the Festival Center from the venue leads us to believe that a new attraction (or attractions) is being envisioned for the space as part of the ongoing overhaul of Epcot. What they might be (if happening), we are uncertain just yet.

The Wonders of Life pavilion closed in 2007. The Body Wars attraction was reportedly decimated during testing of the new Star Tours: The Adventures Continue and Cranium Command has been left pretty much untouched since the closure.

Stay tuned for future updates on this breaking story.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Allan
Allan

No new attractions. LOL This is Disney. New merchandise sales points are coming, there’s talk of moving the pin trading sales out of the courtyard area by the fountain to this location and selling other merchandise at the pin location.

Schmallan
Schmallan
Reply to  Allan

Yeah Disney certainly hasn’t made or announced any new rides in years. You’ve really got your finger on the pulse my friend. Very astute observation, inspector.

Courtney
Courtney

SOMEBODY CALM DOWN ALEX

Foster Rouse
Foster Rouse

Dear Tom, this will very likely house the Space themed restaurant that was announced at D23 Expo. The restaurant was announced to be adjacent to Mission Space. Please feel free to post about this. I don’t mind if you do not credit me but it would be appreciated.

Knox
Reply to  Tom Corless

Love your conscientious coverage of the parks and resorts, Tom – you do great work! But respectfully, depending on how they generate the wraparound imaging, and knowing that some healthy distance away from any actual window frames will enhance the illusion of floating in space – “under the dome” is not too large at all. Plus, Disney has a history of occasionally using less space in a remodel (like the second and third incarnations of Journey into Imagination). Of course, aside from the single concept painting that’s been released, there’s no way to know how much seating there will be.… Read more »

Renato
Renato
Reply to  Knox

Agreed. Plus, if Cranium Command was left untouched since the abandonment of the building, it just feels like that attraction is a 100% guarantee to be refurbished into Inside Out. The similarities are obvious.

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Tom Corless

I can see an Ant-Man attraction going here, however, with Rataouille being added to france, i cant see Disney having two shrinking type attractions in the same park

Luke Henderson
Luke Henderson
Reply to  Tom Corless

I stand by my theory that no matter where the restaurant goes, it needs to be called Mission Plate

Brian
Brian
Reply to  Foster Rouse

I heard that was to be placed between test track and mission space.

Chris
Chris

I have thought all along this would end up becoming the space theme restaurant they announced at D23 last year

Neil
Neil
Reply to  Chris

Same here.

Emily
Emily
Reply to  Chris

Same. Shape and placement (right between the two space theme rides) fit well for the envisioning that was discussed.

c
c

I vote for Time Racers.

Nick
Nick
Reply to  c

It’ll contain a Wreck It Ralph attraction and, of course, an associated store.

Brian
Brian
Reply to  Nick

wreck it ralph is going to replace the stitch ride in Magic Kingdom I heard

Matt
Matt

Do you think they will now be using the millennium village as the festival center? That space would make much more sense as it sits between Canada and the UK.

WedWay
WedWay

We need Randy Rumor to work his sources and tell us what’s going on!

Luke Henderson
Luke Henderson

I would honestly think its going to become a massive shop, mousegear type.. giving them a big space to work with, while they prep the current location for its change to whatever it becomes.

Pat
Pat

One thing is for sure based on last 10 years history. It will be revenue generating, or promote another Disney business line, or hopefully both. It WILL NOT be something meant to make Epcot “Fun”, or “an ‘experience’ in the best interest of the paying guest”. I vote it will be store space. Sadly.

Jeff
Jeff
Reply to  Pat

You mean like Pandora or Galaxy’s Edge or the many, many other new fun things that have already been delivered, or are currently under construction?

Ryan
Ryan
Reply to  Jeff

Yes. Those are First attractions in 20 years aside from downgrades of rides to put in overlays on same old tracks. Meanwhile, a new store or sales kiosk every month. Less capacity at entrances and on rides. Very little coming except more stores and hotel rooms. Attractions and fun aren’t what Disney World does. They sell things. They have closed more attractions than will open. This doesn’t even take into account the huge decrease in their quality of service or offerings.

DJ
DJ
Reply to  Ryan

It sounds like you should take your business elsewhere. You will not be missed.

allan
allan
Reply to  Jeff

WAY fewer rides coming than they have taken away Jeff. Some of the attractions you mention are the first in 20 years. And the stores come every month. Cut in service and quality every day. Let’s be real. This space is unlikely to be a non profit center to add to ‘the fun’ based on any WDW history in the last decade.

Allan
Allan
Reply to  Pat

I agree. Only $$ matters. They don’t put in attractions without taking several out. Less is more to WDW, unless it’s money.

Schmallan
Schmallan
Reply to  Allan

We get it Allan, you are mad at a theme park. You’ve made that abundantly clear.

Ryan
Ryan
Reply to  Schmallan

I don’t see it has “mad”, I see it has honesty.

DJ
DJ
Reply to  Allan

You do realize that WDW is a completely optional experience, right? You should probably consider taking your business elsewhere.

progressivemusicloversdirtysecret
progressivemusicloversdirtysecret
Reply to  Allan

For those griping about not replacing rides .. lets quick think for a minute. Pandora: 2x rides plus land. (not super new but well recent enough) Star Wars land: 2x rides plus land. Toy story land: 2x rides plus land. Epcot: 2x new rides. MK: 1x new ride plus refurb racetrack. Thats a total of about 9 new rides, and 3 new lands. I’d say they are moving along okay. Just because they closed the ride you rode with your siblings when you were six, is gone, does not make it a bad park. And as always: More beer at… Read more »

Scott
Scott

Maybe have a ride based on Inside Out. That would fit the theming of the building.

Jeff
Jeff

Probably an Inside Out attraction. The move was directed by the same guy who did Crannium Command.

C.G.
C.G.

Hmm… Iron man themed attraction?!

C.G.
C.G.
Reply to  C.G.

Could very well be something like the iron Man experience that’s in Hong Kong

Scott
Scott
Reply to  C.G.

Aren’t the rights to show Iron Man still over at Universal Studios?

Nick
Nick

Wow, that’s actually super interesting. I’m definitely looking forward to what they may have planned for the building.

Mike H
Mike H

I love how some of you people are so rough on Tom even when you have NO actual facts or even hearsay to back up your theories. “I think this and that are going to go there because I that just makes more sense to ME… blah blah blah.” Keep up the good work Tom!

Jeannette Sanchez
Jeannette Sanchez

I was thinking of the Iron Man attraction or a Weather attraction at the Wonder of Life!

Horacio Sanborne
Horacio Sanborne

Remember Iron Man cannot happen due to Universal’s contract with Marvel.

Mike S.
Mike S.

“Disney announced today that it will no longer be the Festival Center for the event”

Where was this announced? To staff? To the vendors that usually set up shop in there?

Dis1023
Dis1023
Reply to  Mike S.

The festival center isn’t listed for the Flower and Garden festival.

Pauly_shore
Pauly_shore

I heard it’s going be a biodome that only DVC members can live in.

Frank
Frank

Bring back “Pure & Simple” somewhere. Loved that restaurant.

trackback

[…] these events in the future. It is likely the space will be the new Festival Center of sorts since the Wonders of Life pavilion was taken off the market starting with the ongoing Flower and Garden […]

Carol
Carol

After renewing my world pass yesterday, I set off to my favorite attraction at the flower show, the Festival Center…It was closed… no replacement! I have been a passholder since 2007 so for me the Festival Center was the hub of the experience. First, the video of that years attractions helped me draw my map of must see displays. After that, I would get the schedule and choose the days I would be attending based upon the speakers I wanted to hear. After voicing my complaint that day to several customer service representatives regarding this year’s oversight, I realize I… Read more »

Austin Frazier
Reply to  Carol

I was thinking about them turning the whole building into a Marvel pavilion.