Bright suns from Batuu! Now open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The sun is shining, the bloggers and Passholders are out en masse, and Black Spire Outpost East looks like a toasty, vibrant version of its West Coast component. While the experiences here remain mostly the same as at Disneyland, we’ve noticed a few small differences that albeit minor, tweak the experience as a whole.
Today, we got to experience the Custom Lightsaber Experience at Savi’s Workshop. We went in thinking it’d be mostly the same at the one in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland, but to our surprise, it was actually very different. An improvement, if you will.
Upon checking in to your preview, if you have a reservation for this or the Build A Droid experience, you’re given a card with a time slot for you to visit during your preview time frame.
Travelers can pick from four different lightsaber types:
- Power and Control: Reclaimed from the ashes of the rumored Sith homeworld and abandoned Sith temples, these lightsaber pieces were originally forged by the Sith of their time. Characterized by sharp and strong forms, these pieces showcase the brutality and relentlessness of the Sith’s insatiable desire for power and control.
- Protection and Defense: Cultivated from a time forgotten, these earliest lightsaber pieces contain designs and inscriptions that are shrouded in mystery. Believed to be created for protection and defense, conferring anonymity and symbolizing emotional detachment, a lightsaber made from these pieces reconnects the user with the most ancient wellspring of the Force.
- Peace and Justice: Salvaged from fallen Jedi temples and crashed starships, these lightsaber pieces were created for Force wielders of the Republic era. The simple designs reflect the commitment to the devout life of those whom they were created by – the Jedi Order – the once guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy.
- Elemental Nature: As we have been told, The Force is an energy field created by all living things; it surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy together. These lightsaber pieces are born of that same Force. They are as unique as the user and as the elements of nature: the wood as strong as metal from a Brylark tree, a bone of the Cartusion whale or even a tooth from a Rancor.
Here, we see the introduction of additional hand-outs to help guests determine what kind of lightsabers are available and what each lightsaber package includes. They’re using these printed sheets as opposed to the carts with drawers they used over at Disneyland.
Each box of parts includes:
- 1 hilt
- 4 sleeves (pick 2)
- 2 emitters (pick 1)
- 2 pommel caps (pick 1)
- 2 sets of activation plates and switches (pick 1 set)
And if you’re new to the experience, here’s some important fine print:
- The experience costs $199.99 per lightsaber, plus tax
- Payment will be due upon arrival at the location
- One lightsaber per builder per experience
- Carrying case included
- Additional customization items can be purchased at Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities
- Age Recommendation: 5 years or older
- The experience area is limited to the builder and one Guest—at least one person in the party must be age 14 or older
- Guest of the builder may not build a lightsaber when accompanying the builder
- Custom lightsabers are nonrefundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder or other discounts
Upon choosing and purchasing a lightsaber, you’re given your matching pin as well as well as credentials.
Also at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, you have lead Entertainment Cast Members guiding the experience. Today we actually were surprised to see Mark Daniel, host and emcee of many Disney Parks Live events and Star Wars super fan, leading the build, and he did a truly amazing job. Seriously, it’s worth just watching the video to catch his performance. Having someone who’s in Entertainment as opposed to a regular Cast Member really elevates the entire experience and “feels” how the rest of the land probably should feel as well. I’m surprised they didn’t take this approach at Disneyland, especially given how much talent there is in the area.
Due to the ability to pick different parts, plus the variability of the experience and the now integrated high-caliber talent, we strongly recommend Savi’s Workshop lightsaber building activity as the closest you can get to an epic, immersive Star Wars experience that’s strong with the force.
You can check out our video of the full experience, including the most impressive Gatherer portrayal we’ve seen to date at Savi’s Workshop, below:
As a reminder, you can make reservations for the custom lightsaber building experience at Savi’s Workshop ahead of time. Reservations are currently available through February 13th at time of publishing. Click here to secure your spot and become one with the Force!
Remember, it only takes a spark.