BREAKING: Guests with Walt Disney World Hotel Reservations for Around July 11th Reportedly Being Asked to Upgrade to Disney Vacation Club Resorts at Full Price

UPDATE: The following story has been confirmed with a handful of guests and was run with multiple reports from those in this situation, but we have been told by many more readers that they were, in fact, offered a complimentary upgrade or move to a DVC resort.

If you beat Disney’s shutdown of the hotel reservation system back in May and managed to get a room for somewhere around the July 11th reopening of the Walt Disney World theme parks, you might be in for a shock.

While Disney originally stated that all hotels would reopen on July 11th, they quickly retracted the announcement. Well, we are now receiving reports from guests with reservations for various hotels that Disney is asking them to rebook their stay at one of the open Disney Vacation Club resorts at full cost.

Obviously, the price increase from something like Disney’s Pop Century Resort to nearly any of the DVC properties is exponential, so it is understandable that guests with these reservations being asked to upgrade are quite upset.

Some guests are reporting that they are indeed getting complimentary upgrades while some are not, but it is unclear why they are given one answer or another.

No reopening dates for any Walt Disney World hotels beyond Disney Vacation Club properties have been announced as of yet.

2.2 6 votes
Notify of
guest

Steve
Steve
15 days ago

BS Disney….terrible way to treat the consumer.
Even worse….I am not surprised.

Sandra
Sandra
15 days ago

Disney needs to rethink this one. It feels like bait and switch.

Jim Krantz
Jim Krantz
15 days ago

This is absolutely crazy if this is true. I can’t justify shelling out even more money for less of an experience, not sure how they can even do this.

april
april
15 days ago

What in the freaking h*ll are they doing. I am starting to wonder if they’re trying to make it easier by having guests choose to cancel. They have lost their damn minds.

Dandy
Dandy
15 days ago

Where are they being asked? In the MDE app?

Kimberly
Kimberly
Reply to  Tom Corless

Calling and being placed on hold for more than an hour. Then transferred to another dept. to be placed on hold again. Then comes the bad news that you can cancel or pay the difference. I have a problem with the inconsistency of some getting a free upgrade. I was thinking maybe the free upgrades were before the parks opened…at least that is what I told myself when I was forced to cancel my Pop reservation for July 13 because I couldn’t afford the difference in the room cost. Thinking that the free upgrades were before the parks opened kept… Read more »

Reply to  Dandy

We called to figure things out because we had to worry about flights as well. Our options were to change our dates and pay 4x as much or cancel. This is our 3rd time having to reschedule. We were also assured that more affordable resorts would open before our trip and we’d be able to change resorts, but it’s sounding like that’s not happening.

April
April
15 days ago

You have to pay through the nose for a regular trip to Disney. Then they cut half the experience. Now they’re forcing people to switch to a resort that’s 4x as expensive. I understand Disney lost a ton of money, but this isn’t the way to recoup the loss. So much for making a trip magical.

Rebekah
Rebekah
Reply to  April

Don’t forget they’ve added 47 or 48 food price increases and only 8 decreases to further help the new magic along. 🙄 I don’t know what they are thinking but this is insanity.

K. H.
K. H.
15 days ago

That is not even remotely correct information.

If Disney moves your room because you want to keep your current reservation, they are not charging you any additional costs.

If YOU choose to modify your reservation in any way or want a specific resort, then yes, you pay the new price.

This has been in place since they began addressing reservations.

Please stop sharing false information.

K. H.
K. H.
Reply to  Tom Corless

You are not correct. I do this for a living.

If you have an existing resort reservation at a resort that is not opening, they are offering you a complimentary upgrade to an open resort if you desire to keep your same reservation, at no additional cost to you.

If you want to modify your reservation (new dates, new resort) or want to select a specific resort, they will charge you the new price.

I have my own reservation that this has happened to.

Your information is not accurate.

Randy Noppinger
Randy Noppinger
Reply to  Tom Corless

BREAKING: Tom Coreless is a savage and rekts people with accurate informaiton!

“Also, I do this for a living.” Best Part”

Kelso
Kelso
Reply to  Tom Corless

“Also, I do this for a living.”

Haha Burn.

Heather Weber
Heather Weber
Reply to  Tom Corless

Why all the hate for Tom? He is accurate and brutally honest. I appreciate that.

N.H.
N.H.
Reply to  K. H.

We were charged. We were not given anything free.

Tang321
Tang321
Reply to  N.H.

NH, did you change ANYTHING about your stay? I am a travel agent also and have changed multiple people and if they don’t want to change anything(no adding a day no dropping a day, no moving it at all from the original dates) it IS free. But it must stay exactly the same. You also have to take the resort they offer you can’t pick one.

r adam
r adam
Reply to  K. H.

are the parks open during your dates? I had to pay the difference.

Reply to  K. H.

It’s not about wanting to modify. It’s about having to. Our choice was cancel(after having to reschedule twice before) or modify our dates but we have to pick a deluxe villa and pay the difference.

Trey Benton
Trey Benton
13 days ago
Reply to  K. H.

I am going call BS on that. I have a reservation for 13 July 2020 club level at the Polynesian. I was told by guest services 6/21/2020 that the resort will not open until August of this year and I can modify the reservation by moving to an resort that is open and pay the additional cost. I am already paying 4600.00 with no club level service. I am considering canceling my trip and spending my money at Universal. Universal appears to have there ducks in a row. As Disney is holding up big sign to everyone saying go away….

Dee Wampler
Dee Wampler
Reply to  K. H.

This is completely true !!!!! I’m speaking with Disney right now

Tang321
Tang321
Reply to  K. H.

K.h. I’m a TA and I agree. Your info is correct. I am curious how many travel agents Tom has interviewed? I’m not being snarky a all, I truly want to know the answer. Because if he’s not talked to at least a few agents and found one that has run into this issue them I stand firm that it is a misunderstanding of the rules. I will also admit that Disney is not forthcoming up front with the rules if a regular person calls in. If someone calls and says they need to change dates, the agent will just… Read more »

Beans
Beans
15 days ago

Are they being *asked* to do it, or are they being told they *have to* do it?

Nicholas
Nicholas
Reply to  Tom Corless

Tom were they forced to make the decision right on the spot? Or hopefully were given some time to discuss and decide.

Reply to  Beans

We either had to cancel or change dates and upgrade(and pay for it).

Shawn
Shawn
15 days ago

Feels like they dont want people to come. That is they only want rich people to come so they can spend more very sad to hear this.

Leo
Leo
Reply to  Shawn

This has been the Disney MO for several years now. Crank up the prices on everything making it less affordable for for moderate – low income families. I even saw a report where they increased some prices during the time the parks were closed. If this is correct then shame on them. I have been to WDW in excess of 20 times over the years and end up doing less for more every year. I know costs rise so Please don’t even begin to lecture me on this. I’m just saying that the price increases are outpacing inflation all the… Read more »

Alice
Alice
Reply to  Leo

Disney has been ripping people off for years. They are greedy and as long as people are willing to pay they will continue to charge. As for me, I have been an annual pass holder for years, but no more! I know I. Can take a family of 4 on a transatlantic cruise for half the price of a one week vacation at Disneyworld.

Steve
Steve
15 days ago

Got to address this too….

I am an AP. Cannot make a hotel reservation currently. But come June 26th, I can reserve a park for certain days. So book park reservations and then book hotel after that when they become available? Doesn’t make sense….why book a park reservation before knowing if there is a place to stay?

Andrew Carnegie
Andrew Carnegie
15 days ago

This is outrageous! How can a single company with a majority of hotels in and around the resorts do such a thing?! Its criminal I tell you!

Prince Naveen
Prince Naveen
15 days ago

Ladies and gents, this is all in an effort to keep people away to maintain control over volume. Disney is opting to “price” people out. Is it wrong – YES! I’d be pissed if I went thru the trouble of booking a July reservation, only now being given the choice to upgrade at a HUGE cost or cancel altogether. Terrible Guest experience.

Reply to  Prince Naveen

We had an April trip planned, obviously had to reschedule so we chose July, and then had to reschedule again, except this time our choices were cancel with refund or upgrade to a villa and pay quadruple the price. We were also assured more hotels would open so we could switch to a more affordable one and now it’s sounding like that wasn’t accurate either.

Tom
Tom
15 days ago

If this happens to you then “you’ve been Chapeked”!

Blair
Blair
15 days ago

This is only happening if they want a specific resort/don’t like the resort Disney has selected for them or want to otherwise modify (like move their reservations to another date). And while I understand that frustration, this seems like irresponsible reporting.

Dr Truth GetSome
Dr Truth GetSome
Reply to  Tom Corless

No agent can’t modify a reservation that has a check out date of July 11th or later. You can change your dates to July 11th to the end of the year and all new availability which is DVC resorts as of now. Any guest inside the now to July 10th checkout window will be given the option to cancel or go to the resort they offer at no additional cost. If they don’t like the resort can cancel. But no one with a checkout date past July 11th can touch their reservation so if someone said it was done it… Read more »

Last edited 14 days ago by Dr Truth GetSome
Reply to  Tom Corless

I emailed Disney because we originally were booked at Pop for April. Obviously we had to reschedule and chose July. Parks won’t be open for that trip so our choices were cancel or reschedule again but in a villa(until other hotels open and then we can switch-which sounds inaccurate now). So we had to reschedule 3 times and have to pay quadruple, but I’m seeing multiple people that just so happen to be booked around the same time and they’re being upgraded for free. So frustrating.

Last edited 14 days ago by Nikki
Kimberly
Kimberly
Reply to  Tom Corless

It may be depending if they are going before the parks open or not. I was hearing that those going to the resorts from June 22-July 10 were getting a free rebooking. Those with reservations after the parks open had to pay the difference. Not official, but just an observation from social media posts.

Ali
Ali
10 days ago
Reply to  Tom Corless

How is Disney contacting people. We are Annual Passholders with a resort reservation and now park reservations for July 15-20. I haven’t gotten anything regarding our “new” hotel location, as our hotel is closed until September. Please let me know if you know anything….
Are they still e-mailing guests? Do I have to call in? I am totally lost and confused.

Prior to this week (when you could actually get through on the phones), Disney reservations and guest services wouldn’t help as my reservation was checking out after July 11.

ReaganDee
ReaganDee
Reply to  Blair

calling “fake news” based on your individual experiences (no receipts provided in your response) is also irresponsible, and frankly, rude. this is good information for members to know up front so they can discuss and decide in advance how they would react. it is also unfortunate that one would think that it is okay to expect to pay more (for an already less experience) if they “don’t like” the resort Disney has chosen for them.   this would not be the first time ever, much less in the last year/month etc that Disney has shown inconsistencies from their technological infrastructure… Read more »

Reply to  Blair

We had to change our dates because we paid for tickets and the parks weren’t going to be open for the majority of our trip so we wouldn’t have been able to use our tickets.

Rob
Rob
15 days ago

I love the people in these comments trying to call out Tom and the site just because they haven’t personally experienced this on their reservation or their client’s reservations and feel like because it didn’t happen to them there is no way this could be happening to anyone else. Some really telling parallels to the major issues going on in the country/world today…

Robert
Robert
15 days ago

Never thought I’d see the day when Universal out-happies the happiest place on earth. Chapek is a disgrace to everything remotely considered human, empathetic, and sympathetic. It’s gotten to the point where I wish Eisner was back.

Shawn M
Shawn M
15 days ago

So I am one of the affected. I initially cancelled my reservation because when I was looking for a new site over 4th of July weekend the Poly Bungalows (over water rooms) were the only availability, my choosing a resort and as a small group it was a HUGE change from my All Star Movies reservation. I saw a note on a blog (probably this one, I read a few) and called them back to ask if a straight move was possible. Not only were they able to accommodate me, it was actually cheaper (tax difference, Orange vs Osceola room… Read more »

Jennifer
Jennifer
15 days ago

I received an email from our travel agent that we were going to be moved to a DVC hotel within the next week (per Disney) but that there wouldn’t be any additional cost. Could the difference be that we had our original trip cancelled by the closure and we opted to re-book v/s booking a brand new trip during this time?

Brad
Brad
15 days ago

If Disney calls, don’t volunteer to change your reservation. Insist that they move you at no charge if they can’t honor the reservation. This just sounds like Disney trying to trick people into spending more money.

Last edited 15 days ago by Brad
Ksen
Ksen
14 days ago

I can vouch that the article is accurate. We had reservations in May, then June, then July 5-11th at Port Orleans French Quarter. When we called disney to modify our dates we were told only DVC hotels were open and it would cost us another $500+. We were never offered a free upgrade. Our dates were flexible and at this point the resort didnt matter ee just wanted to go. But to pay another $500 plus AND no quick service meal plan we decided to cancel. We are now going to universal studios. So disappointed in Disney.