Walt Disney World Reportedly Restricting Use of Gaiters as Face Coverings; Face Masks with Ear Loops Enforced Per Resort-wide Requirement

Ahead of the Walt Disney World parks reopening to the public, the resort has begun to enforce its rule that guests wear traditional face masks.

Disney-branded face masks (with ear loops) are now being sold across property at Disney Springs, reopened DVC resorts, and at Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Animal Kingdom for Cast Member previews.

Previously, neck gaiters, though not “secured with ties or ear loops” as the guidelines state, had been tolerated. Theme Park Shark on Twitter is reporting that they are no longer being allowed, with guests being asked to wear a traditional face mask.

A WDWNT reporter has confirmed that their neck gaiter had been allowed at the Magic Kingdom preview yesterday, so while the guideline itself isn’t new, the enforcement of it is. At this time, it’s unknown how these restrictions will apply for gaiters with ear loops.

Below are the official face mask rules from Walt Disney World’s website:

“All face coverings should:

• Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable

Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.”

As we approach Annual Passholder reopening previews and the official theme park reopenings, we will continue to monitor the status of face mask requirements and guidelines.

Mark
Mark
3 months ago

Is there any word if the neck gaiter with the ear straps and/or ear slits are allowed? I am seeing on some social media post that they are but would like some confirmation if possible. Thanks for the help!

Screenshot_2020-07-08 Men Women Face Cover Scarf Bandana Ear Loop Balaclava Neck Gaiter Face Mask for Dust Flecking Gray at[...].jpg
Layne
Layne
Reply to  Mark

Per the WDW website, these are STILL not allowed. Masks have to have at least two layers in addition to ear loops.

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Layne

My daughter’s neck gaiter has a filter in it. Is it not allowed because it doesn’t have ear loops??? This is getting rather ridiculous.

Christine
Christine
3 months ago

I just snipped slots on my gaiters to be able to have them go over my ears. Easy fix.

Tom Shriver
Tom Shriver
3 months ago

Does anyone know if face shields will be allowed ?
They don’t seem to fit the criteria WDW has issued for a mask.
Asking for a friend !

Amanda
Amanda
3 months ago

What about gaiters WITH ear loops? that’s what my husband has. I really hope I don’t have to go searching for a new comfortable mask for him before we’re at the parks next week.

Layne
Layne
Reply to  Amanda

Get a new mask.

Per the WDW website, in addition to ear loops, masks also have to have 2 layers. The website specifically states “At this time, based on guidance from health authorities, neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings.”

If you don’t want to have issues at the gate, I would suggest finding a new mask that meets all of the criteria now before you go.

Heidi
Heidi
3 months ago

This is unfortunate. I’ve tried both regular masks and gaiters and there are advantages to the gaiters (the style I have have elasticity and are also adjustable with ties). I found them easier to breathe in, not as hot, and easier to deal with in regards to eating/drinking (far more comfortable when around the neck unlike masks which feel like a chin strap). With masks, I’m constantly adjusting them (I have high cheek bones so when I smile or laugh the masks ride up). Also, gaiters keep the sun off your neck. Their park, their rules but I do hope… Read more »

Amanda
Amanda
3 months ago

What about gaiters WITH ear loops? That’s what my husband has. I would hate to go have to find him a new comfortable mask before we go to the parks next week

suzy
suzy
3 months ago

It’s all just a little absurd.

Nrenee
3 months ago

I am glad I’m not going there this year ! I wouldnt want to wear a mask !! Hope by the time I go next year there will be a vaccine !! Cause I dont think I could do it otherwise !!

Ben
Ben
3 months ago

What about neck gaiters with ear loop holes thats what I wore in universal a few days ago. Seems to meet Disney requirements

Layne
Layne
Reply to  Ben

They don’t though. The WDW website specifically states that gaitors aren’t acceptable and that masks have to have at least 2 layers to them.

April
April
3 months ago

Face shields or bandanas I could see being a problem because they’re left hanging open. Gaiter fabric sits around your neck and is arguable more “closed” than an I’ll-fitting face mask. The ear loop rule sounds arbitrary, like some higher up decided they need ear loops to prevent have shields and bandanasand they didn’t even know gaiters existed.

Matthew
Matthew
3 months ago

Is there a medical or social reason why these aren’t accepted? I have no issue wearing a ear loop face mask but i find the gaiter to cover more of my face, stay more secure and is more comfortable to wear.

Jane Lieurance
Jane Lieurance
3 months ago

Why, though? What is the problem with gaiters?

Chris
Chris
3 months ago

What’s the reason behind this?

Larry

How do I get my mask loops around my Mouse Ears

Kevin
Kevin
3 months ago

I’ve seen videos online of people testing different mask styles on rides and gaiters fail on anything with speed. My guess is Disney just doesn’t want to deal with people who are having their masks failing on rides and not putting them back up.

Derek
Derek
3 months ago

I called today to ask wdw guest services and they asked their leader who checked with park management, gaiters ARE allowed

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Derek

No they’re not lol

Layne
Layne
Reply to  Derek

Yeah, no. The Disney website explicitly states that gaitors and open chin triangle bandanas are NOT acceptable.

Plus, masks have to have at least 2 layers of breathable material.

John
John
3 months ago

If a gaiter is sufficient face covering for the fire dept while being out in public than it should be sufficient enough for Disney (N95 mask required while treating patients)

Rhett
Rhett
3 months ago

Why? I personally haven’t found an ear loop material that doesn’t create sores behind my ears. Gaiters work great and can be found in materials that are both cooling and breathable enough to allow strenuous activity in hot weather. They also protect the neck from sunburn while spending a full day walking around Disney. They can even be soaked with water to provide extra cooling when necessary. I can’t imagine a day in the sun without one now that I’ve discovered it. As it is really nothing more than a bandana that doesn’t have to be tied, is this a… Read more »

Layne
Layne
Reply to  Rhett

It’s not racial prejudice. They’re following the guidance of health authorities. Gaitors and open chin bandanas don’t actually do anything to protect the people around you from your germs. Per the WDW website, masks need to have at LEAST 2 layers, and gaitors are only single layered.

Furthermore, face coverings that are wet can actually INCREASE the likelihood of transmission… so a wet gaitor is a supremely BAD idea at the moment.

David J Ward
David J Ward
3 months ago

Disney marketing hasn’t had the time to make any princess gaiters yet, so only masks for now.

Sally