Splash Mountain Designs Removed From MaDe and Art on Demand at Walt Disney World

We hope all you Splash Mountain fans were able to get your hands on MaDe and Art on Demand goods these past few weeks at Disney Springs, because the items themed to the attraction have been discontinued on the digital printing service after the announcement of its re-theming to Princess and the Frog.

Two weeks ago, MaDe and Art on Demand still had items such as customizable MagicBands, phone cases, and art prints available themed to Splash Mountain and its controversial characters.

Swiping through the MaDe kiosks today, we noticed Splash Mountain designs were not available. A Cast Member confirmed that all Splash Mountain designs had since been pulled from the system.

At Art of Disney, we were able to find these sketches of Br’er Rabbit, Br’er Fox, and Br’er Bear by Disney artist Monica Willis. We were able to spot Willis working on these in real-time last week:

Fans looking for Disney Park Pals of Br’er Rabbit may run into availability issues, as those are selling out quickly with each restock at World of Disney.

Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World intend on reopening with the current iterations of Splash Mountain, to be closed at a later date for the retheming. The same fans that cleared out the shelves at World of Disney will likely be zipping their way over to the Briar Patch for the last of the merchandise. (Me, I’ll be clearing out shelves to make room for more Princess and the Frog merchandise…)

1.9 9 votes
Notify of
guest

JJK
JJK
1 month ago

Sad, very sad day in WDW history.

Anna
Anna
1 month ago

I’m going to the passholder preview on the 10th and I hope there’s at least some splash mountain merch left for me when I get there. I just want one of the towels they’ve always sold.

Michael Leon Adams
Michael Leon Adams
1 month ago

That’s sad. We have a replica poster of the Splash Mountain poster hanging in the front breezeway of Disneyland. That makes it a very desirable piece of Disney Americana.

Jennifer Marchese
Jennifer Marchese

Ridiculous….what’s next?

Jess
Jess
1 month ago

Walter Elias Disney would be appaled at the way Disney is responding to everything going on. There is nothing racist about splash mountain. But Disney is now practicing segregation, with masks. The company has gone off the deep end. No longer will i support a company that is treating their parks like hospitals. The leadership practices made a u turn the wrong way and down hill upon the changing of the Bobs. If the company feels like they need to operate this way; if they are so afraid of everything than don’t open the parks. I guess Disney can now… Read more »

JASON RANDALL
JASON RANDALL
Reply to  Jess

Imagine the lawsuits if they did nothing and COVID spread in their parks like wildfire.

Their job isn’t to make a medical situation into a political one. It’s to find a way to stay open.

Marine
Marine
1 month ago

Ashamed, best ride at Magic.

Doug
Doug
1 month ago

I still hate this! I wish I had known this was coming on out last trip so we could get some of the splash mountain things that we said, “we’ll save that for next trip.” Didn’t know our next trip wouldn’t happen due to COVID and then splash mountain would be gone soon after. I wish they would give a time frame so we could try to schedule a quick weekend trip before closing. That ride is our favorite and we want a chance to say goodbye in person if possible.

beth
beth
1 month ago

It’s as if it never existed, that is what happens when you erase history. Sad, very sad commentary for Walt Disney World, I see each consecutive CEO being more destructive than the last. WDW will be a shadow of itself sooner than I certainly thought would be possible.

JASON RANDALL
JASON RANDALL
Reply to  beth

Splash Mountain is a remodel. 80% of it is Rivers of America. I don’t see this as any different.

Brian
Brian
Reply to  JASON RANDALL

It was not a remodel at all. Splash Mountain was built as a completely new ride. It did however use some of the animatronics from the old America Sings show/ride that had just closed in Tomorrowland. Rivers of America is the river in Frontierland.

brer rabbit
brer rabbit
1 month ago

Why would they even do this

Jogger hate
Jogger hate

joggers ruin everything

Gary R
Gary R
1 month ago

Used to be a BIG Disney fan, no more, Colin Kapernik, this, ect,ect, ect, screw their political issues, Walt was not political, just a man that wanted families to have a good time, they’ll get no more of my money!!!!!

JASON RANDALL
JASON RANDALL
Reply to  Gary R

Check out some old school videos. of Walt Disney. He was very political.

Danny
Danny
Reply to  Gary R

Walt wasn’t political? Ever heard of HUAC? Spend some of that money you’ll be saving on a book.

Jac
Jac
1 month ago

This is very sad to witness… a large woke company bowing to a select few (that will NEVER be happy) rather than honor the wishes of millions of guests. The magic for me is merely a smoldering ember due to this nonsense, the Kaepernick partnership, Pirates, Jungle Cruise in the crosshairs and more. I have loved Disney for over 50 years but all things must come to an end. The Disney of today really only understands one thing… money. If enough people boycott and abandon them maybe they will get the message. Doubt it…

Jimbo
Jimbo
1 month ago

I understand how “Song Of The South” is extremely problematic but why remove Splash Mountain when those characters don’t have anything to do with the racial elements of that movie. I feel like Disney could have made a new movie based off of the briar patch characters to further distance them from Song of the south and still kept Splash Mountain.
Hopefully I can enjoy it one last time before it’s re-themed. Although Princess and the Frog looks fun too.

Danny
Danny
Reply to  Jimbo

These characters are based off of stereotypes, namely of Black people. The original stories about these characters were brought to America by enslaved people and then said stories were Columbused by Joel Chandler Harris, and then further appropriated by Disney. It’s intensely problematic. They are beloved characters for many of us, but I must admit that every time I ride Splash Mountain now as an adult aware of the difficult history of the US, I cringe. This change is a good thing and will at the very least spark important and well overdue conversations.

Brenner Pieszak
Brenner Pieszak

2020 the corniest year on record. Cringe

BB Wolf
BB Wolf
1 month ago

Unhappy people trying to make everybody else, unhappy.