RUMOR: Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure to Close Select Weekdays Due to Low Attendance

While all of the Central Florida theme parks are hurting in the aftermath of the COVID-19 shutdown, the detrimental effects are quite apparent at Universal Orlando Resort, where furloughs, park hour cuts, and hotel closures have made numerous headlines in the past few weeks.

With the closure of Volcano Bay on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting September 8, a rumor is circling amongst Team Members that the parks may be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays moving forward due to issues with low attendance, therefore pushing park attendance to the weekends and maximizing operations at the parks.

Of course, for now this is merely a rumor and not confirmed by Universal Orlando Resort, however given the recent news surrounding the resort and its parks and hotels, there is precedent for this happening. We’ll continue to monitor the situation at both parks as the reopening progresses.

2.2 11 votes
Chris
Chris
8 months ago

Just like shortening park hours discourages me from taking a vacation down there, having parks closed for full days gives me more reasons to not go. If I carve out a 5 day vacation and things are closed for 2 of them, it isn’t worth my time, money, and effort to travel down there.

Will
Will
Reply to  Chris

Well, we’ve already bought our tickets for Tuesday in October so they better be ready to process some refunds!!

Louis
Louis
Reply to  Will

Please call 407-224-4233 to process your refund or alter your dates. Or, you can do a refund at any park Guest Services. They can NOT issue you any refunds at the hotel desks (just putting that out there). Be safe and enjoy your vacation!

Ronald Ramirez
Reply to  Chris

You can’t describe it better , We usually go 10 days and if parks are going to be closed won’t be cost effective

Sherri R Gilson
Sherri R Gilson
Reply to  Chris

I agree I’m supposed to go down Tues wed Thurs in Sept if this is true what’s the point it’s not worth sirfair and staying onsite

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Chris

I did go on a Saturday a week or so ago and the crowds were insane in IOA. I don’t blame people for not visiting with the limited hours and possibly limited days too.

Vic
Vic
Reply to  Chris

Exactly what I was thinking. We are going on 9/12-9/16 but we will cancel if they do this

Paul
Paul
Reply to  Vic

hey Chrisbwere goin down on Sept. 12th through 19th as well….hopefully we’ll see ya there

Alexander AYALA
Alexander AYALA
Reply to  Chris

They are doing the best that they can. It cost money to operate these parks.

Will
Will
8 months ago

Unlike Disney, Universal is trying to cater to Floridians and Passholders, rather than out-of-staters, so this decision doesn’t shock me. It’s been sooooo nice to not have to deal with crowds this summer

John Ford Jr
John Ford Jr
8 months ago

This is all the more disheartening and frustrating for those who have already planned trips with the expectations of the currently posted hours. For instance, the recent announcement of the closure of Volcano Bay two days a week has impacted my immediately upcoming trip to Universal and I have no recourse because the announcement was so near to my departure date. I want to support the Central Florida parks, but they must be open in order to get our dollars.

Sandy
Sandy
8 months ago

I am in vacation rentals and the guests are not coming and cancelling reservations because the parks are not really open. They don’t want the burden of wearing masks, not being able to just go to the park when they want, and all the restaurants not being opened normally.

chris
chris
Reply to  Sandy

I guarantee that if they lifted the mask policy they would see an increase in crowds. It’s just too hot to want to spend money for limited rides, shows, hours, plus the burden of wearing a mask in the heat.

Bob d
Bob d
Reply to  chris

Covid would approve for sure

Shannon Nutt
Shannon Nutt
8 months ago

This rumor is at least a month old now. I don’t think it’s happening unless attendance significantly drops after Labor Day. Universal has been doing well, all things considered.

Howard
Howard
8 months ago

I will cancel the reservations I have in October for six days. This just seems no longer worth even trying to get away.

Shannon
8 months ago

Well we have a Sunday – Wednesday trip planned with our park days being Monday and Tuesday. So I seriously hope this is not true

Briana
Briana
8 months ago

Universal must really want to drive away potential customers forever. At least when their hotels close due to low attendance, those visitors are upgraded. Cancelling entire vacations last minute when visitors have already requested time off work and have non-refundable reservations and tickets, just because the lines aren’t hours long like on the weekends, is downright sleazy. Burn me once, shame on you…burn me twice, shame on me. This is all happening while attendance is increasing enough within the park to open more restaurants. They just seem to want attendance more concentrated and crowded…during a pandemic.

Robbie
Robbie
8 months ago

Now really isn’t the time for amusement parks anyway. Stay home.

Billy
Billy
8 months ago

I hope this won’t be the case.
Best time to go is during the week when it is less crowded.
And I just happen to have plans to visit very, very soon on a particular weekday.

Frank W
Frank W
8 months ago

Years ago Disneyland was closed Monday and Tuesday. Just saying.

MICHAEL DOUGLAS SKELTON
MICHAEL DOUGLAS SKELTON
8 months ago

Have better rates during the week for Florida residents and this problem would probably go away

christopher cirino
christopher cirino
8 months ago

So what are they going to do with out of state guests especially the ones staying on property? I don’t think it will happen but it possible.

Melanee Moore
Melanee Moore
8 months ago

NO!!! I’m booked for a Mon & Tuesday in two weeks with reservations Wed-Fri at WDW.