Journey Into Imagination With Figment

Eric Idle Doesn’t Remember Filming Journey Into Imagination With Figment, Reveals He’s Never Visited the Ride at EPCOT

In a series of tweets, legendary actor Eric Idle revealed that he’s never visited Journey Into Imagination with Figment at EPCOT, in which he stars as Dr. Nigel Channing, and seems to have forgotten much of his experience working on the attraction.

It started when a Twitter user sent Idle a picture of Figment and asked if there were any more plans to work with him. Idle responded that he loved working with Don Rickles, which sparked some confusion.

Idle cleared up his mistake and said he had forgot Figment and confused him for Devon and Cornwall, the two-headed dragon he and Rickles portrayed in Warner Bros.’ Quest for Camelot.

Another Twitter user said that if even Idle doesn’t remember the attraction, Disney should put it out of its misery. Idle defended forgetting the attraction by saying, “To be fair I never saw the finished thing. I just recorded voices in LA.”

When Idle was reminded that he didn’t just record voices, he also was on film, he said “Ok thanks.” It’s unclear it Idle remembers filming the short-lived Journey Into Your Imagination either. He has in the past brought up his experience on Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, however.

Finally, No Context E.T. edited Idle’s moon face from Journey Into Imagination into the famous bicycle moment from E.T., to which the comedian responded “This I did do.”

It seems Journey Into Imagination with Figment isn’t very memorable for Eric Idle, but what about you? Let us know your thoughts about the attraction’s current iteration in the comments.

Notify of
guest

May
May
1 month ago

Not surprising he doesn’t remember doing the figment ride. I don’t even remember what I had for breakfast this morning. It’s what old age does to you. My kids love the figment ride. It has excellent air conditioning, sits in a fancy building, and is never too crowded.

Doug
Doug
1 month ago

I’m always amused by his giant hand when I go on the Figment ride.

Mrs Lesley Perschky
Mrs Lesley Perschky

Love Figment, ride it every time we visit EPCOT

Tonya Geier
Tonya Geier
1 month ago

It is a family favorite starting with my mom, my 4 sisters, myself, my children, my nieces and nephews. I would tell the person that made the comment about putting it out of it’s misery. You are entitled to your wrong opinion. Even thought we love Figment, my mom, my sisters and I miss the original ride. Epcot would not be Epcot, to us, without Figment. Figment is part of the history of what the Sherman Brother’s contributed to the parks.

Warpser
Warpser
1 month ago

This ride isn’t very memorable for anyone I suppose. I just enjoy that it’s air conditioned.

Louise Paladino
Louise Paladino
1 month ago

I’ve always loved the Figment ride. Every time I go back to Epcot I make sure to go on it. It’s too bad that it didn’t mean too much to him.

Renee Halm
Renee Halm
1 month ago

I loved Figment, but unfortunately haven’t been back to Disney World in over 30 years. Is there a “current iteration”?

Holly
Holly
1 month ago

I love this ride. I do wish there was a few updates, but it’s so nostalgic that I wouldn’t want them to do away with it.

Tom Kerruish
Tom Kerruish
1 month ago

I remember it from our one trip to Walt Disney World 10 years ago. I’m pretty sure I spotted the computer from The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes as part of the ride, although I can’t find confirmation online. It seemed a cute little ride.

Tom Corless
Admin
Reply to  Tom Kerruish

It’s there.

beautiful gorgeous
1 month ago

Dementia or did he drink his way through this project?

Sean
Sean
1 month ago

Fig is awesome…the ride though could be amazing, current ride is lack luster in my opinion, to say the least. Why is it that some Disney rides get untouched for like 40 years? Don’t get it.

Sheryl Pietrick
Sheryl Pietrick
Reply to  Sean

It was amazing in its original product. They changed that to the current version years ago and it is just lacking.

Kyle
Kyle
1 month ago

That’s both hilarious and not the least bit surprising.

Sharon
Sharon
1 month ago

Fourteen members of our multi-generational family were fortunate to have gone to Disney World in January 2020. Figment was our 4 year old great-grandson’s absolute favorite, and he was still excited when he received a Figment Christmas ornament eleven months later.

Keith Kayman
Keith Kayman
1 month ago

The original ride was better, my 8 yr old daughter at the time 23 yrs ago loved figment, she still does. We bought a small figment doll, still have it. Figment is a must see every time we go to Epcoy. Loved honey I shuck the kids, then they replaced it with the unwatchable Captain EO what a waste of time.

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Keith Kayman

I think you have some timelines crossed, Captain Eo was there first from 1986 to 1994, then Honey I Shrunk The Audience was there from 1994 to 2010, then Captain Eo returned in 2010 until 2015.

Turd furgsun
Turd furgsun
1 month ago

Eric is a egotistical git

Dustin Bollnow
Dustin Bollnow
1 month ago

It’s memorable to me and my family. Figment is my Dad’s favorite Disney character. Journey into Imagination should stay right where it is. I understand Eric Idle not remembering his work on the ride, but that DOESN’T mean that it should put out of misery. Keep Journey into Imagination around FOREVER please.

Machelle J Krch
Machelle J Krch

Oh, this is a shame. We love figment. He’s the Epcot mascot

James
James
1 month ago

I Loved Eric Idle in the attraction! He seriously needs to go and ride it. Heck, give him a 4 day hopper and do a special on his visit during this time of massive changes.

Lauren
Lauren
1 month ago

Maybe he’s getting forgetful in older age? His one comment about doing voices and not seeing the end product was in reference to the animated Quest for Camelot film, not the ride.

I don’t doubt that he’s never ridden the Disney ride. It’s sad though that he doesn’t remember doing the actual acting parts of the JIIWF ride’s films. The moon face post seemed to trigger a memory of some sort.

Still, the Figment ride needs an update/revamp.

Rachel McGivern
Rachel McGivern
Reply to  Lauren

I was thinking the same thing about Idle aging a bit. And frankly, I didn’t realize he actually voiced that two-headed dragon in “Quest For Camelot.”

Perhaps he didn’t ride in the Imagination Pavilion. It’s possible that he may have only seen the props being made before they were shipped out to Florida, which may have triggered his memory a bit. He DID say he only did the voices in Los Angeles.

Judy DiModica
Judy DiModica
1 month ago

I loved Figment on the ride Imaginations. I was very sad it was gone it was the best with the hot air balloon. We miss it always!