cast-member-tattoos-1457485

PHOTOS: Cast Members Debut New “Disney Look” Onstage at Walt Disney World

A few days ago, Disney announced they were updating the “Disney Look”, the appearance guidelines for Cast Members. Most notably, Cast Members are now allowed to show tattoos for the first time. We are now starting to see Cast Members at Walt Disney World embrace these inclusive updates.

cast-member-tattoos-1457485

Cast Member Windy was happy to pose for us, showing off her small arm tattoos as well as her double set of earrings. Windy told us she felt “liberated.”

Cast Members with tattoos like Windy’s would have previously been required to wear long-sleeves in the Florida heat. According to the new guidelines, tattoos that are smaller than the Cast Member’s hand, do not portray nudity or other inappropriate imagery, and do not violate other company guidelines are allowed. Tattoos are not allowed on the head, face, or neck.

As for jewelry, previously only one set of earrings was allowed. There are likely still restrictions to the type of jewelry worn to ensure that it is not obtrusive, distracting, or offensive, and non-ear piercings are still not permitted.

4.2 5 votes
Notify of
guest

Joseph Kastner
Joseph Kastner
20 days ago

Glad I am paying premium prices for something I expect at Hot Topic and not Disney.

Impressions de Frank
Impressions de Frank
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

Have you seen the guests? Talk about bargain basement!

Madi
Madi
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

You’re more than welcome to cancel your pass because you’re upset that the work place for many people is being more accommodating for them. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ugh
Ugh
Reply to  Madi

So go work at Hot Topic then and leave Disney to the good folks….🤷‍♂️

you suck
you suck
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

so you’d turn down a doctor with tattoos?

Damon
Damon
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

Get over yourself. Seriously.

okboomer
okboomer
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

Okay boomer

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Joseph Kastner

Wish our guests were as nice to us as Hot Topic customers are to them, and that’s saying a lot.

Jeff Bailey
Jeff Bailey
20 days ago

By lowering the standards, they have cheapened the product.

Madi
Madi
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

If you don’t like it, ya best not go to the parks then.. ☺️ Leave the magic for others to enjoy.

Thomas
Thomas
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

I totally agree. When will the insanity stop?!!

Greg Landry
Greg Landry
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

Exactly right. Walt would have never allowed this because he want to Disneyland and Disney parks to stand out from the rest of the world. That will no longer be the case. What do you like tattoos or not I think they generally cheapen the atmosphere. I’m kind of surprised by the image of the cast member because I was under the impression that you could have one tattoo smaller than a hand size but apparently you could have your whole arm covered in tattoos smaller than an arm size as long as they were not connected. Again, just really… Read more »

you suck
you suck
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

so you’d turn down a doctor if they had tattoos?

Phoebe
Phoebe
10 days ago
Reply to  you suck

Rae
Rae
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

Sorry, didn’t realize we were products to you, explains a lot

j pomis
j pomis
2 days ago
Reply to  Jeff Bailey

Changing the standards to be more inclusive with the realities of today is not “cheapening”

Dikfore
Dikfore
20 days ago

I’m not sure how this is “inclusion.” Your elective body modifications aren’t subject to the same principles which protect un-elective traits like race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. If Disney considers this inclusion and is actually serious about it, why are face and neck tattoos still banned? What is principally different about the location or size of the tattoo?

AggravatedDad
AggravatedDad
20 days ago

I can goto the County Fair if I wanted to see that. My 2 cents, if you don’t want to have to hide your tats work elsewhere. I was pretty sure employment was at will from both parties. Would be like Movie theaters keeping the lights on during a movie because some people might get scared. Enough already.

Jolyth
Jolyth
15 days ago
Reply to  AggravatedDad

I completely agree with you. This is not worth the money we spend at Disney.

Prince Naveen
Prince Naveen
20 days ago

Disney, Guests pay you premium pricing for not only an exceptional experience but for CM standards to be set well above the standard. How does this differ from Employees at your local McDonalds or Spencer Gifts at your local mall? Once again, you have managed to dilute and cheapen the Guest experience. Tragic.

KenG
KenG
20 days ago

There’s a reason why a Disney park has been the pinnacle experience over the decades and that has been the high standards they expect of their cast members.
Now it seems they have abandoned that standard.
As someone else commented it looks like this CM should be working at Hot Topic, not a Disney park.
The potential employees should be asked to fit a standard of dress if they want to work there, not the other way around!

Rory K Fox
Rory K Fox
18 days ago
Reply to  KenG

We did that once…. it was called the 70’s…

Sadie Lynne
Sadie Lynne
20 days ago

Glad to see these people get to be real people! That’s how you get the best talent. Happy cast members will mean they embrace their visitors more joyfully. Good move, Disney!

Johnny C.
Johnny C.
20 days ago

Sigh. Look, here’s the thing. No one cared if you had tattoos or extra piercings, etc. We still don’t. You do you…at home. Or another type of job. But, the reason the “Disney Look” was made was because being a “Cast Member” was more than just another 9 to 5 job. It is almost like a acting job in a lot of ways. Walt had it so when you were “on stage” at the parks, in your respective area, you were in essence playing a part, not just running an attraction or selling popcorn. If you were on Main Street,… Read more »

GRS
GRS

horrible !!!

Jennie G
Jennie G
19 days ago

I am so delighted for all of the Cast Members and for my upcoming Disney revisit! We’re living in the future, where Cast Members are people rather than mass-manufactured dollies. Especially as a person with prospagnosia, the individuality of the people who make up WDW is going to make it a thousand times easier for me to enjoy my visit. Thank you for showing us the new Disney Look in action.

Rachel Patton
Rachel Patton
19 days ago

People who are upset about this are truly baffling to me. Hopefully the naysayers decide to stay home because of the “lowered standards,” making more room for the rest of us who realize that someone’s appearance has no impact on their ability to do their jobs or on our personal enjoyment of the parks! :)

okboomer
okboomer
19 days ago

Thank goodness we are progressing. 1955 was a long time ago.

Last edited 19 days ago by okboomer
steve
steve

looks horrible

Another Viewpoint
Another Viewpoint
19 days ago

To be honest, I would have just worn a long-sleeve since I don’t want a sunburn/or tan.

Sheila Giroux
Sheila Giroux
19 days ago

You don’t need to go to Disney properties if you are offended by this move. They are just tattoos and this is not 1950.

Last edited 19 days ago by Sheila Giroux
Ben
Ben
19 days ago

Hopefully going forward they won’t hire people with tatts. Lol I don’t have any tatts personally but think they look cool. But not at our beloved Disney World.. Geez

C T
C T

Clean-cut….noooooo…

We have to give into the world and let people look like
a bikers convention. No offense to bikers but if I wanted
to see this look…I would not go to Disney
Honestly…I will avoid these biker chicks…I mean…I mean
Cast members who are walking billboards of ink

Last edited 19 days ago by C T
Robyn Marks
Robyn Marks
19 days ago

I don’t mind the tats, but that barbershop quartet vest & hat don’t work with shorts.

Brooke
Brooke
Reply to  Robyn Marks

Right! I didn’t even notice the tattoos until I read the article. I just saw the shorts and, then, the sock tan lines. Seriously… the sock tan lines look bad, but not quite as bad as the shorts with the vest & hat. Of course, I don’t have to work outside on humid 90 degree days in long pants, so I can be all NOPE about it.

I see nothing wrong with a bit of ink – as long as it’s not competing characters and maintains certain standards (ie no curse words, derogatory terms/symbols, or nudity)

Alyssa
Alyssa
19 days ago

Y’all realize cast members don’t make enough money to be held to your such high standards, right? Like a good majority of them are inexperienced, straight out of high school, and aren’t paid a living wage. For those of us who live Orlando, jobs in the hospitality industry and theme parks are basically all there is. Theme park employees are just regular ass people who go home at the end of their shifts. You should be grateful if they’re still smiling at you after the shit they’ve been through this past year and a half.

Jolyth
Jolyth
15 days ago
Reply to  Alyssa

They make enough money to buy that ink, which is NOT cheap. They want to show it off, fine. Do it when they are not working in a place where I and others are paying thousands of dollars for a “magical experience”. This is not “inclusion”. It’s trashy.

Dani
Dani
19 days ago

WOW these comments sadden me. The point of Disney doing this is to be inclusive. If you don’t want a smiling Cast Member with a tattoo serving you than go! Disney doesn’t need guests who aren’t appreciative towards them and grateful for Cast Making Magic for you. Disney will easily refund your pass and other guests will be happy you aren’t there cuz the parks will be less busy. Times change. That’s why Disney is reapproaching so many of their attractions. Walt Disney even wanted us to “keep moving forward”. I can’t say Walt would approve of Disney now but… Read more »