480f1ee9-c53e-45c8-877c-9a1ce0c6dad8

PHOTOS: “Laod Bhang” Fireworks Sign Modified at Disneyland as Cultural Sensitivity Changes Continue for Disney Parks

As Disney works to remove cultural insensitivities from attractions like Jungle Cruise, it is also removing insensitive signs. One such sign is located in Frontierland at Disneyland. The former “Laod Bhang & Co.” fireworks sign has been repainted. The painted sign now advertises “Red Dragon & Co. Fireworks.”

laod-bhang-sign-original-2063637
Photo: Loren Javier on Flickr

This is how the sign appeared before the March 2020 Disneyland shutdown.

laod-bhang-red-dragon-fireworks-sign-5-2169249

The “Laod Bhang & Co.” text has been replaced.

laod-bhang-red-dragon-fireworks-sign-2-6027893

The sign now reads “Red Dragon & Co. Fireworks Factory.”

laod-bhang-red-dragon-fireworks-sign-3-3469569
laod-bhang-red-dragon-fireworks-sign-4-6692220

The sign remains otherwise unchanged.

laod-bhang-red-dragon-sign-5616750

Over at Disney California Adventure, the “Laod Bhang” pin cart seems to to have have been removed as well. Time will tell if it is replaced with a “Red Dragon” version.

3 8 votes
Notify of
guest

michael reb
michael reb
11 days ago

even good puns are not safe.

Barbie
Barbie
10 days ago
Reply to  michael reb

As an AAPI ally, I have to note the “broken English” stereotype actually fuels AAPI hate speech, which we’ve seen swell in the last few months. This was not a fun, clever, of “good” pun. Please educate yourself.

MIke
MIke
8 days ago
Reply to  Barbie

It’s so good you’re an ally of the AAPI, fighting the good fight over silly signs in a theme park. I, for one, think its more important that we end the discriminatory practice of denying Asians admission to certain colleges and universities based on their race. But you do you. Additionally, you need to support your assertion that this sign “fueled” hate speech, and that AAPI hate speech has increased in the last few months.

Barbie
Barbie
8 days ago
Reply to  MIke

You need to support your assertion that you think my comment somehow negates a completely unrelated issues (re: college admission). That’s just a straw man fallacy. I chose to report and comment on a racist sign, which is the topic of this article we are commenting on, and I don’t think is silly.  But you do you.

MIke
MIke
8 days ago
Reply to  Barbie

You never explained how it was hateful and racist. You also never supported how this sign fueled hate speech or that AAPI hate speech has increased. I also merely suggested what might be a more important issue in the Asian community than worrying over some silly sign.

Joseph Kastner
Joseph Kastner
11 days ago

Oh for the love of …

Barbie
Barbie
11 days ago

As a Disney theme park guest, I actually complained about this through Disney’s reporting site (https://disney.alertline.com/gcs/welcome), I’m glad they actually changed it! If you see something, say something. They actually listened! :)

Eric M
Eric M
10 days ago
Reply to  Barbie

Thanks Karen

Karen
Karen
8 days ago
Reply to  Eric M

Sorry I spoiled your fun by reporting a racist sign. I hope you are able still enjoy Disneyland in the future without this offensive décor :)

Eric M
Eric M
11 days ago

It’s so cool that I’ll be able to tell my kids that I lived in a time when Disney wasn’t a pathetic dumpster fire

Mike
Mike
10 days ago

Wow. Disney doesn’t want to offend its Chinese partners with such an insensitive sign. However, regarding its partners’ treatment of the Uyghurs and other human rights abuses, that’s ok and we’ll stay silent on that. What hypocrites.

Anon
Anon
9 days ago

When did Disney fan community become some hateful and racist? This action should be applauded, not whatever is occuring in these comments.

MIke
MIke
8 days ago
Reply to  Anon

Exactly how is this racist and hateful? Is it more racist and hateful than China’s treatment of Uyghurs and its other human rights abuses? You know, the China with which Disney has that oh so cozy business relationship. Disney makes empty gestures such as this one, while completely ignoring China’s human rights abuses, simply because Disney makes a lot of money doing business with China. So I ask you, why do you applaud Disney’s empty gestures, while ignoring its hypocrisy?